PDA

View Full Version : Jump Rope

Arhat of Fury
07-30-2002, 10:56 AM
Iron or seven or anyone....

What are the benfits of jumping rope versus running or stairmaster. I have heard that Jump rope works at a lowwer impact while making the heart work harder(cardio) and improves hand speed.
I am considering replacing only some of the cardio I do with this and am curious on what are your thoughts/experiences on this
are?

AOF

Suntzu
07-30-2002, 11:00 AM
jumping rope, IMO, is more 'total body' workout… my shoulders and forearms seem to give out on me before I get winded… plus it dosent tear up my shins like running… and if u wanna taste of hell, use the weighted ropes…

Kope
07-31-2002, 06:14 AM
Rope jumping also can build timing if you do any of the various double jumps, cross-overs and other tricks you can toss in ... it helps train balance and foot-timing as well as building general foot-speed.

There's a reason boxers love it :)

Helicopter
07-31-2002, 07:01 AM
I can't skip for ****! My Instructor occasionally throws some skipping in when we do circuit training. It's truly embarrassing, last time we did it my Instructor was stood at the back of the hall s******ing at my 'attempts.'

fa_jing
07-31-2002, 09:39 AM
Jump rope rocks, it improved my footwork tremendously. But You have to remember that for martial arts, it's a different kind of training than for jumping. You want to just glide over the rope, light on your foot, work shuffling, alternating, picking your feet up backwards, etc.

SevenStar
08-05-2002, 09:26 PM
I swear by jumping rope. it is a great total body workout and also helps foot work and coordination. It's easy on the knees and yields great results. A word of advice though - do something to make it fun - jumping rope for 20 mins can get boring. Keep the fun level high by trying various skipping movements or skipping to music.

Serpent
08-05-2002, 10:31 PM
I find that skipping with high school girls helps to make it a lot of fun.

Helicopter
08-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Thanks Serpent,

There's a "Nubile 20 to 21 year old Cheerleading and Jump Rope Squad" near me and they're always looking for older men to practice with, I hadn't thought joining them til now.

SevenStar
08-06-2002, 02:51 AM
yes, double dutch with them

Arhat of Fury
08-06-2002, 11:39 AM
Well, I have started training with the jump rope and I am diggin it a whole lot. I do notice that jumpin rope when your little for fun and jumpin rope for a workout is 2 different things but I do like the heavy cardio workout it puts on me combined with the low impact and coordination factor, it has done me good. I got the weighted one(5lb) and that works fine.

Now just to integrate with my weighted vest(20LB):D

AOF