PDA

View Full Version : Unusual/not that well-known type of techniques PT.2

Former castleva
07-30-2002, 11:18 AM
Itīs been some time since the previous one,I guess itīs time to launch another unofficial one.
Last time I got some good information and thoughts were raised.
This time we will discuss:
1."Heroics"-Saving the victim of assault from the situation.
This kind of techniques are not commonly practiced in any arts,I guess.This is not necessarily a technique category,but something that may be a basic part of defense tactics.
Lets quote many people and traditions "self-defense to protect yourself and your fellow beings" (this probably includes harmless civilians)
I first saw this kind of a term when I was randomly checking trough some law enforcement defense tactics site.
This is probably more ordinary for the cops,due to the nature of their work.
Anything to share?

2."Breaking up a fight/stopping fights"-This is more like my own idea.Certain grappling could be included...but whatīs your point,may it be any?

Leto
07-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Very good idea/question. Chin Na would be very useful for neutralizing a fighter, and the way to do the least amount of damage...(seizing/joint locks). With multiple attackers, it wouldn't work so well. (unless you could get one attacker in a hold and manipulate him around as a shield to defend yourself and attack his buddies, ala Jet Li or Jackie Chan *lol*)

Actually just this weekend, we had a down/ground fighting and sparring strategy class. At the end of the day, after doing our normal two against one and group sparring, our instructor introduced an interesting drill. One person had to defend a wounded victim from two attackers. The victim was incapacitated (just laying there) in the corner. It's hard to keep two people intent on getting at the victim away from him, without harming them seriously. I think the best way to do it, in a 'real' situation, would be to take out at least one of the attackers as quickly as possible...attack lightning fast to the most vulnerable targets. (for some this is always the strategy, no matter what the situation) In this situation, I would think the best defense is a devastating and efficient offense. Then help the victim and get to safety.

I haven't been in any such situation...the terrain, and other factors would play greatly into how it would have to be handled. If you're walking down the street, see a few thugs attacking an old lady, or a young girl, or anyone, and decide to intervene, the victim would be able to escape while you occupy the thugs for a short time, then you yourself could escape. In the situation from our class, where the victim is already seriously hurt and/or can't escape, it would be a lot more difficult.

Former castleva
07-31-2002, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the great reply.
Iīm looking forward to the new ones.:)

Black Jack
07-31-2002, 12:40 PM
Neito,

To borrow Marc MacYoungs two generic terms on self defense enviroments, there is "fighting" and there is "combat", one is a kinda macho/non-lethal chest puffing slugfest and the other is life or death survival, with that stated IMHO I don't believe that intricate joint manipulations and chin na locking tactics are a good way to neutralize a attacker in the heat of a serious encounter where the other combatant is trying beat you down and stomp you into a christopher reeve like state.

Ever watch the show cops, how many officers does it take to control the uncoperative suspect, it seems to often be a group slam down/pin down/control situation, no flashy grab the tiger by the tail, no he comes in perfect dojo aikido moves, its more grappling, grab the perp by his neck or around his body and slam him into the ground as the other cops try to wrestle/control his failing limbs, take into consideration that these are just arrest situations, not civilan muggings, rapes, carjackings, attempted robberies, assualts and not where you are on your own, where the other guy is trying as hard and as ruthless and as trickey as possible to take you out before you escape from the situation.

Just my thoughts but I would much rather be hitting and be pro-active.

Former castleva
08-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Thanks Blackie.