PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is Shen Lung Chuan

rogue
07-30-2002, 05:15 PM
Anybody ever hear of it? Is it legit?SLC (http://www.shenlungchuan.cjb.net)

Here's a quote from a shifu of the system...

Believe it or not, but while I was teaching in North Carolina, we once had a 3rd Dan in Aikido, come in and try a class. We put him with one of our yellow belts, who had only had 4 months of training. This Aikidoka, asked her if she was a black belt in another system, and when she repied that her only rank in the martial arts was a yellow belt, he got very upset, and was never to be heard from again.

They even have a Soke who's 10th Dan - Zenbudo Ryu Karate-do
and 8th Dan - Recognized Jook Lum Tong Leong Pai. I've always thought that 10th dan was reserved for masters who've passed on but I'm obviously wrong.

Abstract
07-30-2002, 08:09 PM
"Shen Lung Kuen Shorin Ryu Karate was a nebulous Martial Art founded in 1981 by Jerry Otto. This art was based upon such arts as Kosho Ryu Kempo, Chi Ling Pai Gung Fu, Northern and Southern Animal styles of Shaolin, Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu, and Shorin Ryu Karate~Kobudo."

that 'bout sums it up, no?:confused:

rogue
07-30-2002, 08:11 PM
Yes! LOL

Abstract
07-30-2002, 08:18 PM
well i'm glad we were able to clear that up! LOL:p

templefist
07-30-2002, 09:59 PM
It can never be a good sign when the creator of the art and all the other students leave it.
When Mr. Otto and all his other students left the system to study Shorin Ryu Karate under Master Tadashi Yamashi ta, Sifu Mark Edward Bober found himself the sole practitioner of the system. He claimed and practiced the system but never taught it to anyone. He continually studied many varied martial, healing, and meditative arts over the ensuing years.

GeneChing
07-31-2002, 09:21 AM
FWIW, Shen Long can be translated as Dragon Spirit. It's a common phrase in Kungfu, and not surprising that someone might adopt it for their moniker. In fact, we have some calligraphy on auction as part of our 10 Year Anniversary that says Shen Long - It's the piece by Four Diamond Chen Taiji Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/10yr/index.html

SevenStar
07-31-2002, 10:30 AM
shen long is also the name of the the uppercut that ken and ryu do in streetfighter, and is the name of their teacher (you can only see him in the hidden stages of sf2)

SevenStar
07-31-2002, 10:31 AM
also, if you watch dragon ball, the name of the original dragon is shenlon.

KC Elbows
07-31-2002, 10:37 AM
So it is a cartoon video game style?

It appears that Ralek was ahead of his time. Visionaries are rarely understood by their contemporaries.:D

rogue
07-31-2002, 10:54 AM
I missed that the first time Templefist, but thanks for pointing it out. Now how do I get coffee and doughnuts off of my laptop?:D

So is it safe to say that this system is more than likely, as Knifefighter would say BooSheet? But then why would a Soke(and we know how few of those there are in America :rolleyes: ) study it?

I ask, no I demand that Gene Ching bring this art to light in the pages of KFM. I also want to know why KFM has been hiding this art where yellow belts can defeat 3 degree Aikidoka. It's a conspiracy I tell you perpetrated by the martial arts establishment of which Gene is a part! :mad: So Gene how about taking some time off from flying around with Jimmy Hoffa in your black helicopter scaring farmers with those crop circle things and come clean: It was you on the grassy knoll wasn't it? :eek:
Whoops time for my medication.:D

Former castleva
07-31-2002, 10:57 AM
So there were hidden levels in original sf2? Wow,I´m still young enough to learn...
;)
It´s one style among many others.
Sorry,I´m a bit tired.