PDA

View Full Version : Staying motivated

cyranodb
08-06-2001, 03:32 PM
OK...I know the debate about instructional video tapes being a quality martial arts learning experience rages on, but I was wondering about somthing else.

One thing I've noticed about myself over the years of learning martial arts on and off is that I am all gung-ho for a few months, and then the love affair seems over and I don't practice as much as I used to. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on how to stay motivated and keep the interest going. It's even more difficult since my lessons come from a distance learning program of a well know CLF teacher on the west coast that shall remain nameless, and all my lessons are on video tape which I can put in the vcr at my leisure.

Just wondering what you all think about this.

Mike C.

passingthru
08-06-2001, 06:13 PM
1. you might be the sort of person who is driven by initial enthusiasm, which wanes. This can reflect in many areas of life. What motivates you to do things? What motivates you to continue? What makes you feel alive? Goals?

2. you might be what I would call a "social exerciser." Some people, myself included, need ample time working out with other people. There is teamwork, encouragement and just a bit of healthy competition which can make one forget or not care about early stages of being tired (which need to be overcome). Being with others also helps to alleviate some of the boredom that comes with necessary drilling, at least for me it does. There is a sharing of effort and energy in a group situation that cannot be duplicated via the video experience.

3. martial arts are a special form of body/mind/spirit training, which by their very nature and tradition require personal interaction with the teacher. Some gifted people can manage with less of this than others. And, some trot in and out on a daily basis, and might as well train at home and come in every two weeks or so for all the attention they pay, assuming that the teacher is in earnest. Does this give you an idea with what you might do with vacation time?

It's a matter of deciding what you want and who you want to be. That's step one of the simplified version. What one encounters after determining that which one's being and honor are grounded is not predictable.

passingthru

mysteri
08-08-2001, 10:27 AM
i think that when one constantly has goals(or at least one goal) to work toward, the interest will remain until that goal is attained. if it's not attained when it's expected, one may become discouraged about achieving the goal. then when they strive for the goal, it has no heart. in essence, u have to have the heart to want to train to get better all the time. easier said than done i know. but like passingthru said, fellowship or partner training is way more encouraing than solo training. so if u must train solo, then u gotta find a strong long term goal, or a few short term ones, to keep you interested. that was my piece of mind.. good luck!

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

fiercest tiger
08-08-2001, 10:45 AM
The most important thing is for the sifu to not bull**** to the students, do a good job on the videos that gives excellent information. The sifu should talk, email, whatever it takes to help and improve the students. Give the student written test and studies which makes the student want to learn rather than give a video of a form and expect them to learn it with no breakdowns etc.

anyway thats what i do! my students are like my friends now and we talk almost everyday, i give my best to my guys 100%. after all they may represent you in the future!! :)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

David
08-08-2001, 04:55 PM
The only surefire method I have for myself is to print out a training schedule calendar with loads of tickboxes.

Keeps me really focussed. Also allows you to mark in rest days before printing so you don't feel guilty when you're not doing something.

That's what I do anyway.

Alternatively, look at other areas in your life. Is there a pattern between training binges and relationships (for example)? That kind of thing. I've just discovered such a connection in myself and its my current personal development goal to attain a balance in the mind/heart dynamic.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

Eddie
08-14-2001, 09:58 AM
In my younger days, I once saw an old Skateboarding video. One of the skaters said something I like to use in my present life.
“Obstacles are what you see, when you loose track of your dreams and goals”

If you cant keep motivating yourself, or cant even find a source of motivation from with in you, I’m afraid you must then really look to see if your passion for martial arts is still strong. (Its like married life… we have to constantly keep the flame burning). If not, I suggest you do something about it (either stop completely, or join a school where someone can help you by pressurizing you).

Try re-set your goals again, and set up a systematical plan to achieve it. With something like Martial Arts, the only one that can motivate you is yourself. That’s why it is called kung fu.

You said you do CLF. Regardless of lineage, CLF is a style that demands allot of training. The more you train (the more you do your forms), the better you get. In all ranges of the style (forms and fighting). Unfortunately there are no “8 minute workout” or “2 minutes a day” solution for kung fu. If there were, it would take away all the fun.

True Motivation should come from your self. No one can do it for you. Maybe try to make a point of it to see some of these top CLF brothers in action. Try using them as role models.

iron_silk
08-17-2001, 10:35 AM
Well I am not sure if this works for everyone but it certainly works for me.

I have a strong interest in kung fu but not devoted enough to sustain motivation. One short-term, and quick solution to get me motivated is by watching my favourity action/kung fu movie or show. It consistantly gets me hyped up to practice. Since I am chinese I am lucky to have a variety of kung fu movies and tv shows that have a great impact on my kung fu interest, but there are still many others: for one the great Bruce Lee's movies wouldn't hurt?

Hope this helps or at least keeps you entertained for a while.