PDA

View Full Version : Yip Man's student rep about HK rooftop fights???

LEGEND
07-30-2002, 08:03 PM
I know of WILLIAM CHEUNG, WONG SHUN LEUNG, BRUCE LEE AND HAWKINS CHEUNG involvement in these fights or sparring matches. My question is based on the intensity were this BIG DEAL ENUF for us to say they're experience fighters??? I mean to me it sounds like full contact bare knuckle fights regulated with a REF. Weren't they teenagers back in the day trying to see if there art works???

MA fanatic
07-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Of course they were just kids. Bruce Lee admitted that in Hong Kong he was a street fighter with a few street fights against some street punks.

MA fanatic

vingtsunstudent
07-30-2002, 09:56 PM
wong was not a teenager and these fights were hardly refereed.
i have heard first hand about some of these fights by my sifu and yes some resulted in easy victories but some also ended quite brutally.
vts

Nevermind
07-31-2002, 09:45 AM
From what I've read, when Bruce was around eighteen, he was involved in a rooftop fight that got out of hand. The kid blacked Bruce's eye. Bruce became so enraged that he rushed the guy and bloodied him up pretty bad. In fact, he beat him so bad that the police came looking for him. This is when his folks decided to send him to the U.S. in order to avoid going to jail or facing retaliation from the guy he beat. Sounds to me like these fights got pretty heated. I think they were a pretty good gauge of how good one's art served him in combat.

rogue
07-31-2002, 11:22 AM
They don't sound any worse than the ring and cage fights we have now.

LEGEND
07-31-2002, 03:14 PM
YUP...they sound like what I did back in HS. Can I be considered legendary now???

rogue
07-31-2002, 08:01 PM
You're almost there Legend. All you need to do now is start your own style or say that some famous martial artist taught you, and only you, his real system. You might want to start using the honorifics shihan or soke in front of you name for a little extra pizzaz!

diego
08-01-2002, 01:29 AM
Legend thiers a differance you in high school getting beaten up by nerds ;), and groups of kungfu schools fighting on rooftops!.

However thier is a little gang story involving bruse and either hawkins or william cheung...one of bruces boys in his little click, his sister was kidnapped by triads, so bruce and one of the cheungs went to The meeting/ when they walked in the brother first, one of the triads chopped his arm off with a samurai sword, i dont remember the rest of the details, but bruce cheung and the brother where able to flee, and i think the sister was never found!?.

No real technical point to this story but if you know the history of hk streets in the 40s-60s, :) I'm sure it was a bit differant then highschool scraps hockey style between jocks!.

Nevermind
08-01-2002, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I read that story too. It was William Cheung who recounted the story. Their friends name was "Sonny". It was featured in an Inside Kung Fu article that revealed actual letters between Bruce and William.

Nevermind
08-01-2002, 12:50 PM
Oh yeah, I can't find the issue but as I recall, their friend later died from his injury.

LEGEND
08-01-2002, 06:21 PM
WHOA...that's rough. reminds me of the fight between the VIETs and KOREANs at TRACK night clubs...5 stabbings...2 died...where was I??? RUNNING TOWARD MY CAR...I was wearing NIKEs...didn't slip.

diego
08-01-2002, 07:25 PM
hey legend what you gonn be, a brown fly?, get your butler skills in order if you want to match bruce!.

Your just ****ed he ****ed up chuck norris at the coliseum!.:eek: