PDA

View Full Version : How Cheung Vs Boztepe should have been handled

MA fanatic
07-31-2002, 04:07 AM
I read the article (interview with Cheung), and actually followed the story along for quit some time (mostly from magazines and interviews). So here is my two cents worth:

First of all, at no time should anyone challenge anyone in the middle of a seminar. Unfortunately I have seen this done at Gracie seminars and some other seminars I attended. It always makes for an awkward-ugly situation. Actually, I think those who attend the seminar feel as awkward as the guy being challenged. It ruins the atmoshere and in many situations, the desire to learn. Boztepe was wrong, but most likely just following orders from some instructor who was following orders from a high ranking master. Seems like Boztepe a young tough guy (with some cross training experience as it states on his web site) sent in to do someone elses dirty work (as usual).

Cheung says that some of his students, unbenounced to him acted out in the middle of Ting's seminar priot to the event in Germany. Well, he should have publically apologized in all MA publications, called up Ting, and expelled those students. Some punitive action should have been taken. (Perhaps there was some action, I just didn't read much about it.) Cheung can't be held responsible for what some nut cases do just because they are sporting some T-shirt. Nevertheless, an apology is good PR.

Ting should never have arranged for this eleborate ambush. If he has a problem with Cheung, he should have challenged him himself and set a date for the fight. That's how MMA guys do it at least. Seems to work.

No one should write any letters claiming that he/she is willing to fight anyone without expecting someone (most likely of course the least stable or most brainwashed) making an open challenge. The Gracies had stated that they would fight anyone, and they have been challenged in the middle of their seminars, and even had high ranking masters of other arts walk into their school. (Many of those challenge matches have been put on the Gracie In Action tape...)

Since Ting apparently did nothing to the men who represented his organization in some bazar Kung Fu movie brawl,
Cheung should have granted Boztepe a rematch but done so in the U.S. or where ever he lives. Done so with his video camera's present. Level or no level. Lineage or no lineage. If Cheung would have beat Boztepe, he would be able to call up Ting and say, "Ting, I defeated the man you brainwashed to challenge me. Now, instead of having students do our battle for us, why not we just settle things the way we did on those Hong Kong roof tops. Me and you. If you decline, the next time one of your men enters my seminar and causes a disruption, this would be a legal issue between our organizations. You're hurting my business and we could fight in court."

I may be wrong, but this seems to be a perfect solution. Anyway, my post for entertainment purposes only.

MA fanatic

Tainan Mantis
07-31-2002, 07:35 AM
What happened in the awkward seminar challenge?

dezhen2001
07-31-2002, 07:38 AM
hi Tainan Mantis,

Well, there are a few threads dedicated to what happened here on the main forum and indeed also the wing chun forum. It all happened a long time ago (15 yrs?), and everyone seems to have moved on... but it was brought up again recently for 'discussion' (critique).

I'm sure you can find more information if you are interested :)

david

rogue
07-31-2002, 08:03 AM
Good post MAF. You've got me wondering about the roof top fights. By having those fights did they keep the peace better about who was legit, a good teacher and who was a good fighter. Today we have many "rooftops" called san shou, sabaki, shidokan, pride, k-1, vale tudo, ufc, etc. If these guys are so in a bother about how well someone fights there are plenty of "rooftops" to fight on. And being on a "rooftop" where everyone can see them, be judged if they're the fighter they claim. At least we'd have better film footage of it.:D