PDA

View Full Version : Footwear

kungfu cowboy
07-31-2002, 04:07 PM
When I practice the little Chen that I know, I never wear shoes or socks. I was wondering what your opinions on the effects of practicing with or without shoes are. Is it mechanically a bad idea to practice almost always without shoes?

SSgungfu
07-31-2002, 09:39 PM
I think it all depends on what you think feels right. Whatever is comfortable and keeps you balanced. You usually want to wear a flat soled shoe I've find works the best and is most popular.

TaiChiBob
08-01-2002, 04:10 AM
Greetings..

I think it depends on one's lifestyle.. if you are normally barefooted, then you should practice barefooted.. if you normally wear shoes, then practice with shoes.. Additionally, i feel it is wise to experience your practice in differing conditions.. with shoes and without.. on level ground and on rough terrain.. in the extremes of environment and indoors.. Diversify your experience, it can only add to the depth of one's understanding

Be well..

Prairie
08-01-2002, 10:22 AM
If you can get good grip with barefeet, then continue on with that if you wish. Otherwise, wear shoes.

It's very important when training your body's lower section that you don't have to worry about your feet sliding out when you press into the ground on either side. If you are constantly trying to keep your feet from sliding you won't be able to train your hips, ect...

Depending on your skill level, it may be worthwhile to have a slippery surface to practice on just for the sake of realism. However, in the beginning it's important to get a good grip to practice proper body mechanics -- this is difficult enough without worrying about your feet sliding.

Bye for Now...

Nexus
08-01-2002, 12:25 PM
I practice using discipline footwear shoes. They are the best martial art shoe I have ever used, very lightweight and comfortable. I go walking at night with them also, they feel like they are part of your foot, nice and snug. http://www.disciplinefootwear.com

kungfu cowboy
08-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Thanks all for the info. I was wondering because I noticed that depending on the shoes (especially my replica Gene Simmons boots) there is a shift in emphasis from foot to foot with shoe.

Another thing I noticed is that I use the inside edge of the feet as sort of a wedge through which to push off and channel body weight and deal with force. Is this smaller contact point versus the flat of the foot correct?

KC Elbows
08-01-2002, 04:09 PM
Dunno, but the only time I can tell you it's bad to go barefoot is on concrete or stone/marble. Otherwise, I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

TaoBoy
08-01-2002, 05:56 PM
I practice barefoot in class (on wooden floorboards) and in shoes outside. I find I have better balance in the shoes (however, I do have shoes with extra support for my dodgy feet).

I say practice both ways - at very least it will give you a better understanding of how the shoes affect you. :)

looking_up
08-02-2002, 02:28 PM
Ah, thanks Nexus. I've seen those shoes on a lot of martial artists, but could never figure out where they got them.