PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts specific exercises

TaoBoy
07-31-2002, 06:24 PM
Do you utilise exercises that are specific to your martial arts training? I don't mean - do you lift weights to make you stronger for your MA training. I mean - do you do any exercises in class that is unique to your style and influence your ability.

For example - I do a variation of push-ups that isolates the triceps. This is used to increase the ability to fire rapid, explosive strikes. I have not seen this particular exercise anywhere else.

Thanks in advance.

IronFist
07-31-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
For example - I do a variation of push-ups that isolates the triceps. This is used to increase the ability to fire rapid, explosive strikes. I have not seen this particular exercise anywhere else.

Thanks in advance.

Please describe your pushup style that you do. Is it diamond pushups? Or some other style with your hands in toward your body?

IronFist

TaoBoy
07-31-2002, 11:47 PM
Please describe your pushup style that you do.

Tricep pushups: fingers facing directly forward. arms straight to start - then dip the elbows straight to the ground. And raise again. So, it's like exteding your arm from the elbow and back - similar to inverted curls with dumbells.

Is it diamond pushups?

No, although we have an exercise called diamond-hand push-ups. I assume this is the same thing. Hands make a diamond shape and you keep this shape will doing the exercise.

08-01-2002, 03:04 AM
I've found that lots of wing chun clubs do that sort of tricep push up - at least the ones that include that sort of thing as a warm up.

Helicopter
08-01-2002, 06:44 AM
We do a few traditional partner-based exercises where the partner offers resistance.
eg Both stand on 1 leg holding each other's shoulders you brace the raised knee against each others, either 'in-door' or 'out-door', you then try push / rotate the other persons knee/hip with your knee/hip, whilst trying to maintain balance.

A leg exercise I was taught which is pretty MA specific is; where you raise your leg from a stretched position. ie you stick your foot on a table top (or whatever depending on your flexibility) in a kicking stance and you then gently lift the foot up a couple of inches and back down (try not to jerk up and drop down) do it in a front and side kick position, it helps your dynamic flexibility.

Ford Prefect
08-01-2002, 07:06 AM
I'd say doing your chosen martial art is the best martial arts specific exercise. There are things you can do to make you stronger and quicker, but you have to practice your art to integrate the two. Personally, I think the "sports specific" stuff is mostly hogwash.

{i^(
08-01-2002, 01:12 PM
sit on floor, pile one foot atop the other gently pointing out, then touch head to knees and hold for 5-10 secs. piece of cake!

Serpent
08-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by inic
my favorite: sitting with legs str8, hands below shoulders pointing forward. raise urself, keeping body str8. its like a backwards pushups. gets ur triceps cut and big. try to do 50.... most ppl i know cant do 10

Keep your legs straight and lift them as well when you do this! Good for abs and flexors as well as arms! (I don't know if that's what you meant or not, but if not, give it a go!)

neptunesfall
08-08-2002, 12:30 PM
stances

iron body (the set of exercises, not the 'hit me with a stick' one)

muscle tendon changing

lohan grinding the axe

snake turns over

3 planes stance

dragon sharpens its claws

tiger claws and leopard paws

the list goes on...

tri2bmt
08-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Wank spanks the chank for a stank of a bank?

I prefer to do isolated dynamic tension segments of my forms for a strengthening exercise.

IronFist
08-09-2002, 09:51 PM
Drink beer.

IronFist

ewallace
08-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Drink beer Check. What next? :)

neptunesfall
08-13-2002, 01:40 PM
have unprotected sex with prostitutes.

neptunesfall
08-13-2002, 01:43 PM
oh and make sure to do a cool down and stretch afterwards.

IronFist
08-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Check. What next?

Sleep in.

IronFist