PDA

View Full Version : How long to hold a strech?

NeedsPractice
08-01-2002, 08:11 PM
What is the maximum time should you hold a stretch if you can bear it, 5 minutes , 10 minutes? 30?
I am talking about leg stretches and splits in particular. I find the longer held the more the muscle relaxes but is there a detrimental limit?

Helicopter
08-02-2002, 06:55 AM
(I assume that we're talking passive stretching here.)
I've read that holding a stretch for longer than 30 seconds gives little or no additional benefit in terms of increasing flexibility.
Are you aiming for increased flexibility or something else?

Kope
08-02-2002, 07:01 AM
Depends entirely on the stretching methodology in use.

Some types of assisted stretching should be held for only 2 seconds or so.

What type of stretch are you asking about?

Former castleva
08-02-2002, 12:39 PM
20 seconds is enough for reaching the peak of rest (for muscle/joint)
Sure there are stretches where you just bounce around,like certain hip stretches.

NeedsPractice
08-02-2002, 09:28 PM
I am talking about passive streching , ( no bouncing) where you hold the stretch for example sitting on the floor with your legs spread as far as possible etc. I have noticed that the longer you hold a stretch the more the muslces relax, but I know everything has a limit, and dont want to over do it. Also I think ( but I am not certain) in yoga they tend to hold positions for a while ( i have to research that), and yoga people ( at least those who have been oing it for awhile seem to have a gret deal of flexibility throughout thier entire body not just the legs per se.
Any info/ ideas would be appreciated.

yenhoi
08-03-2002, 08:09 AM
In yoga a begginer would hold a pose for (depending on posture and ability) between 5 to 10 breaths.

Most yoga sects have a non-violence oath or virtue or whatnot.

And, I believe, 'over stretching' can take the rubber out of your rubber band.

IronFist
08-04-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by inic
i stretch 90 mins a day and only hold each stretch for 2 min. so that gives you an idea of how many types you can do

****. I wish I had 90 minutes a day. You do 45 stretches? (45 stretches x 2 min each = 90 minutes).

btw, don't do any strength work after intense stretching. Either do the stretching after, or do it on it's own day.

IronFist

wall
08-05-2002, 01:41 AM
90 minutes of stretching a day? No offense, but ever heard of the evils of overstretching?

5 minutes before workout, 5 minutes during warmups and 10-20 minutes at the end is plenty, unless you are a circus contorsionist perhaps. More is actually overstressing connective tissue. And you should have at least one day every 3-4 when you don't stretch at all.

If the above works for beijing wushu team members and for olympic gymnasts I'm sure it's more than ample for your MA needs.

By the way, stretching is kind of like weightlifting, in the sense that just as in weightlifting people do 100 different exercises when really what makes you strong is an abbreviated program of presses/squats/chins/DLs, so with stretching there are about 10 basic ones which do it all if done consistently and properly, and all the others can be eliminated.

Wall

Serpent
08-05-2002, 04:41 PM
So what are those ten stretches?

IronFist
08-06-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by inic
you guys really think 60 min is too much??

Every day, yeah. Maybe if on your off day or something each week you wanted to do 60 minutes of stretching that might be ok, but 60 minutes is a lot.

how many of you can stand on a sidewalk and put ur fists on the street, actually going below your feet level.

I can stand and keep my knees straight and bend down and put my palms flat against the floor. Is that the same stretch you're talking about? I've never tried to go lower than palms on the floor tho.

and i believe that stretching should be 1/4 of your total workout, and when you workout 4 hours..... 60 min stretchign.

Dang. Maybe if you work out for 60 minutes stretching could be 1/4 of it. But even if you work out for 8 hours I still wouldn't stretch more than 15 minutes or so. But, you already know how I feel about your workouts anyway :D

i'm doing a little more reading on it, because i heard a few times that lifting after stretchign does some harm, but i'd like to know why.

Relax Into Stretch by Pavel Tsatsouline.

You seem to be very enthusiastic about your training, which is a good thing. Just make sure to get the more accurate info you can about stuff.

IronFist

PLCrane
08-09-2002, 03:18 PM
If you hold a stretch for 20-30 minutes, you'll exceed the elastic capacity of the connective tissues and cause plastic deformation. This means that the connective tissues will be permanently stretched and will have lost elasticity. This is not what you want. I'm with the guys who said 30 seconds.

wall
08-10-2002, 10:55 AM
mmmmm inic, i can stand with my knees straight and feet together and put my elbows on the ground. And I'm 30y.o. and 5'11". I've trained with lots of asian guys (shorter legs) who can do the whole chin to toes thing. And NOONE did 90 min of stretching a day. Particoularly those that started young (I know as I was lucky to start at 10): for them, 20 min 5 times a week, if done right, it's plenty to maintain all the useful flexibility for MA (as in do front and side splits very comfortably).

Wall

inic
08-10-2002, 11:32 AM
then why do every cheerleader and gymnast I know stretch as much, if not more, than me. I'm not trying to be an azz, just seriously wondering. Yes, i've read plenty of "studies" done on stretching, and most just prove each other wrong. One says 20 secs, while other says 45 and another says bounce! I just gave up and started listening to my own body, which hasnt failed me yet.
20 sec maybe good for you, but wont be for me.... every body different

inic
08-10-2002, 11:47 AM
oh, but when you do reach the level you want, then yes, there's no need to hold the stretch too long. most of my upper body stretches are 45 secs because i know theres not much room for improvement. I'm flexible enough on the upper body, so the stretches are shorter times, if i do them at all