PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Stretching Question - More of Poll

Sleemie
08-02-2002, 07:31 AM
This is kind of more like a poll...

How many of you have acheived success in stretching, meaning you can kick really high and almost do splits (or completely do them) from the old-fashioned, traditional stretching methods, but without pushing to the point of pain and without that crazy s--- of having someone sit on your legs to force a stretch or ripping your muscles or anything stupid like that. I'm talking no dynamic stretching, no isometrics, just simply pulling yourself in to a stretch and holding it, gradually pushing it further and further.

Ford Prefect
08-02-2002, 09:50 AM
::Raises hand::

Some of the stretching techniques I've used hurt, but not because of excessive stretch. All the guys that know about STI stretching know what I'm talking about!

inic
08-02-2002, 12:39 PM
as i said b4, i stretch 60-90 min a day. i do it before i do any type of working out, so my muscles are cold. it relaxes me a lot. i dont do any weird stretches, just normal ones and hold them at the point of tension and slowly increase the stretch.

No_Know
08-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Only no pain here. I don't hurt me.-ish

jun_erh
08-04-2002, 09:01 AM
I have a couch that is just the right width to do the van damme thing. I can hold it for like 3 seconds. I mostly do stretching because I can, I enjoy the increased circulation. I don't really do high kicks, but my other kicks are good i guess. The only time I stretch is when I'm on the couch, which is very often, or in bed. So I stretch all the time, just not in a joe athlete sort of way. I just relax as much as possible

Kope
08-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching is the way to go.

Commonly called PNF stretching ('cause who can remember that long name?!), PNF uses a variety of techniques, and includes single person stretches and partner assisted stretches.

Active-Isolated Stretching is related to PNF stretching and is probably the second most usefull stretching method for gaining rapid flexability.

In both methods, stretches are held for relatively short periods of time.

Pick up the text "Science of Stretching" by Michael J. Alter for a very good over-view of stretching and the physiology behind what you're doing.