PDA

View Full Version : Kickboxers' kicks often better than kicks of those in styles w/out "kick" in the name

KC Elbows
08-02-2002, 09:59 AM
How can this be?

Examples:

Fencing: terrible kicks

kali: not famous for kicks

judo: few people taking judo for its kicks

I could go on, but I think you see the trend.

As an aside, why do kickboxers, as a whole, suck at chess? Should they cross train in chess boxing?

Crimson Phoenix
08-02-2002, 10:12 AM
What did you drink?? Save some for me, seems like a good buzz!!
However, I wish to add that back in the days, there were recorded sword duels that ended thanks to kicks (either the opponent lost balance and got killed, ot lost his weapon and got killed, or fell from high and got killed, or...you get the picture).
So modern fencing has terrible kicks, maybe, but the duellers of the good ole' days did use their natural weapons...

KC Elbows
08-02-2002, 10:23 AM
I was just helping carry on Arrow Fist's good work, as he was able to school us all on the fact that KICKboxing can have good KICKS, of which I would have been completely unaware without his encyclopedic knowledge of such issues.

KC Elbows
08-02-2002, 10:24 AM
And no you can't have any, it's my tequila.:D

Former castleva
08-02-2002, 12:35 PM
All the way by tequila...ha...ha?
Well that pretty much sums it up.;)
Are not you answering your own question?
No disrespect here,I just donīt get the point,or maybe I get it too well.
Judokas donīt kick,basically.
Fencers donīt kick,basically (thinking about western fencing here) not kenjutsu or anything like that,but they have no kicks either,basically.
Kickboxers kick,yep...thatīs obvious.
They practice kicks and stuff...
:cool:

KC Elbows
08-02-2002, 12:50 PM
Former C,
I have heard they do kick quite a bit. Arrow fist told me so. I just wanted to share this with you.

On the other hand, long fist practitioners can kick quite well, but kick appears nowhere in the name of their style, which is, of course, unrelated to the topic at hand. Due to the lack of kick in their title, no one knows about them.

So, to improve some traditional martial artists in keeping with Arrow Fist's wisdom as granted to us in the "kung fu vs. karate vs. kickboxing" thread, here are some name improvements that I feel we should immediately implement in order to comply with the new MMA-9000 requirements:

Mantis Boxing-Pinching and Pressing for Pain Boxing

LongFist- Long Foot

Hsing Yi- The Funky Pummel

Tai Chi- Body Mechanics for Destruction

Pa Kua- Look at Me On Your Weakside Eat My Palm Boxing

Shaolin- The Compendium of Ways to Beat @ss

dezhen2001
08-02-2002, 12:58 PM
What about Wing Chun KC? :eek:

david

KC Elbows
08-02-2002, 01:03 PM
Wing Chun- My Teacher Told Me Not To Move From This Spot, But I'm Gonna Do Form Anyway Boxing

Tigerstyle
08-02-2002, 01:04 PM
KC,

I don't know about those MMA-9000 requirements, man. I looked them over, and they seemed a little biased. For example, they suggested some name changes to the more UFC-oriented styles:

Wrestling - Grandmasters of Takedowns, Takedown Defense and Slams

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Unstoppable, Yet Incomplete, Fighting Method

Boxing (western) - Grand Ultimate Fist (or Supreme Ultimate Fist)

Muay Thai - Grand Ultimate Shins (aka: The Style That Whooped Benny Urquidez)

"Grappling" - The Oldest, and Least Traditional, Fighting Art

MMA - Kung Fu :p (rough translation: "Skill aquired through time and hard work")

KC Elbows
08-02-2002, 01:12 PM
Also:

Shoot Fighting- Go Get 'em Boy Boxing

Kali- If these sticks were knives, I'd cut you, if they were swords, I'd kill you, but as they're sticks, right now I'll beat you Boxing

dezhen2001
08-02-2002, 01:13 PM
u describe WC (siu lim tao) so well! :eek:
As for Grand Ultimate Boxing - lol, that was cool!

It's all Kung Fu (skill acquired through dedication and hard work) :D

david

Xebsball
08-02-2002, 01:55 PM
Hsing Yi- The Funky Pummel

:D LOL

Crimson Phoenix
08-02-2002, 02:33 PM
LOL the longfoot stuff is so funny LOL

CD Lee
08-02-2002, 08:36 PM
Praying Mantis can only eat bugs and hang out on vegitation. No kick in there my friend.

Xingyi - We can only box in our 'mind'. So no need to punch OR kick. Silk pajamas for me baby!!!

Black Jack
08-02-2002, 08:55 PM
Just for poop and snorts,

Kali has two excellent kicking systems. Panajackman and Sikiran.

KC Elbows
08-02-2002, 09:01 PM
Nonetheless, kali is not popularly known for kicking, is it?:p

Black Jack
08-02-2002, 09:07 PM
No, most people think its some cult from a Indiana Jones movie.

KC Elbows
08-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Is it?:)

Former castleva
08-03-2002, 05:44 AM
Thanks for fast reply KCE.

Kali-art of ripping hearts out with prayers?
.."Kalimaaaa...."
Now I see.
:D

apoweyn
08-05-2002, 07:40 AM
KC Elbows is clearly not familiar with my personal style, kickkali (which is kali, but with kicks that would make you want to headbutt your dog... or something).

HopGar
08-05-2002, 12:45 PM
A few more...

Wushu - Lord of the Dance and look cool in the ultimate pair of pajamas while swining tin foil around

Savate (had to make fun of the French sometime) - I can flip my own ass thank you very much

kohai
08-05-2002, 05:52 PM
Aikido- no, you grab *my* wrist

omegapoint
08-06-2002, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
How can this be?

Examples:

Fencing: terrible kicks

kali: not famous for kicks

judo: few people taking judo for its kicks

I could go on, but I think you see the trend.

As an aside, why do kickboxers, as a whole, suck at chess? Should they cross train in chess boxing?

Haha! You are being so facetious that people are getting things twisted! I feel you bro! BTW, rednecks are not known for their kicks, but every redneck is a kicker!!!

Without famous former traditionalists like Bill Wallace and Joe Lewis, there probably is no kickboxing!!! Without unknowing, none-too-swift jockers like Arrow Fisted, kickboxing is aggressive aerobics!!!