PDA

View Full Version : Question about the JKD sparring gloves

The Willow Sword
08-02-2002, 11:55 AM
Who among you own a pair of these gloves and how do you rate them as far as for striking grappling and blocking?
( i have ordered me a pair and am awaiting them, i just want to get some impressions as to the effectiveness of them)

Many Respects,,The Willow Sword

LEGEND
08-05-2002, 07:59 PM
I think they are very dangerous for sparring. Even the NHB gloves are mad dangerous. Especially for your trianing partner cause it does not minimize the power of a punch. Also with any open hand gloves...u can accidently take out an EYE.

DragonzRage
08-06-2002, 03:15 PM
I have a pair of those that i bought when i was in high school. I don't think they're all that useful. They're too small to be used safely for hard sparring, unless you were also using headgear w/ face cage (but if you are using those then you might as well wear NHB style gloves instead). They might've been useful for some vale tudo drills such as ground grappling with some controlled striking, but they have long laces that fly around too much and can take an eye out. Basically i just use them as bag gloves now. In this regard they are pretty sturdy.

The Willow Sword
08-08-2002, 12:00 PM
like boxing gloves only with the open fingers feature. when i got em in the mail they were real tight on me, i guess because they're brand new and the leather is tight. im not talking about the smaller gloves i have a pair of those. they are more for bag work than sparring and yes i agree that they are dangerous for they do not pad the punch at all. but neither do those tc2000 gloves. when you get hit with em you get HIT. no these gloves are like boxers gloves and they seem like they would be okay ill add the link to what i am talking about so you guys can see for yourself what i got.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tigerstrike-martial-arts/kempojkdgloves.html

let me know what you guys think.

Many respects, The Willow Sword

LEGEND
08-08-2002, 05:23 PM
yeah I know those gloves...they're mad dangerous! I would not spar u if u had them.

wufupaul
08-09-2002, 12:06 AM
Those gloves suck for sparring, a guy in my old jkd class had a pair. They tend to keep the wrist a bit too straight; you can't get a good snap while you're wearing them. They came from kendo, somehow along the way Bruce found them and used them in Enter the Dragon. I've heard them called kenpo/kempo and jkd gloves.

The Willow Sword
08-09-2002, 07:12 AM
but i am going to try them out and see. if its a full contact sparring match then i would prefer these over the smaller ones.
and sparring thati have done lately unfortunatel;y has been real cat and mouse so i dont anticipate any "Real Danger"

Many respects,,,The Willow Sword

SifuLMDII
08-26-2002, 05:25 AM
Hello Willow Sword!

My students use these gloves for sparring and they work quite well! The only disadvantage is that once you make a fist, the padding on them gets real tight. It is like getting hit by a slightly (very slightly) padded fist! We wear the full face cage headgear though, so it is really no problem. It makes for a better conditioning effect from body punches, you just have to somewhat control yourself so you don't get too carried away! As for the loose laces flying around problem, they make them now with velcro closures, which is a definite improvement!

Rorny Gracie
08-26-2002, 11:57 AM
I dont know about sparring but those things look like they would hurt like heck if you bit<hslapped someone with them.

jmdrake
09-13-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by SifuLMDII
Hello Willow Sword!

My students use these gloves for sparring and they work quite well! The only disadvantage is that once you make a fist, the padding on them gets real tight. It is like getting hit by a slightly (very slightly) padded fist! We wear the full face cage headgear though, so it is really no problem. It makes for a better conditioning effect from body punches, you just have to somewhat control yourself so you don't get too carried away! As for the loose laces flying around problem, they make them now with velcro closures, which is a definite improvement!

Hello Lamar,

Where do you order the ones with the velcro?

Regards,

John M. Drake

SifuLMDII
09-13-2002, 02:46 PM
Hi John!

You order them FROM ME!!! LOL!

Retail: $59.95 per Pair
From Me: $45.00 per Pair

Sound good?

TenTigers
10-09-2002, 04:48 PM
although they are similar to kendo gloves, they are still very different. I know Renbukai also uses a form of them, does anyone know where he got them from?

YungChun
10-09-2002, 11:47 PM
The gloves are not that great. NHB gloves IMO would be better. The JKD gloves are bigger than the NHB gloves, the JKD gloves cover too much of the forearm limiting sensitivity and offer no protection for the palm, Biu Jee to eyes, etc. I like to use the smallest hand protection possible - when trapping the opening will need to be as big as your glove.