PDA

View Full Version : Yi Quan, Dae Cheng Dao question.

MonkeyBoy
08-02-2002, 02:39 PM
Been going around town this summer looking into the three big internal styles and was directed to look into something called Yi Quan (also called Dae Cheng Dao as well as spelled a few different ways).

I have been told they have footwork but no forms, a throw away technique similar to the Springy power of Mantis but more akin to Fajing.

Would someone with personal experience care to tell me what to expect?

P.S. To those of you I contacted who suggested their own Hsing Yi and Bagua teachers, thanks for the input.

Ka
08-02-2002, 07:38 PM
Hi

I would recommend checking out this website www.yiquan.com which has a forum attached.

Yao's school in Beijing is excellent and well worth the visit if you are considering Yiquan.

Stranger
08-04-2002, 10:49 AM
The art has a legit following in Japan, where it is referred to as Taiki Ken. You might find more info on the internet if you search for "Taiki Ken" as well as "Yiquan".

MonkeyBoy
08-04-2002, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the 411.

Crimson Phoenix
08-05-2002, 12:26 AM
If it is orthodox Yiquan/Dachengquan, expect HOURS of standing into zhang zhuan (hugging the tree). That's the corner stone of the method. Then you have various principles for moving, and "fa li", exercizes to "issue force" once you have acquired the connections and internal movements through zhang zhuan.

MonkeyBoy
08-08-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix
If it is orthodox Yiquan/Dachengquan, expect HOURS of standing into zhang zhuan (hugging the tree).

All the time I spent in Horse does not seem to help me in it either, I can't go beyond 25 minutes like this yet and they want an hour a day to start.

Instead of harder, faster, concentrate, it's all softer, slower and relax.

It's like, forget the Iron Wire completely, they go somewhere else for power.

Is there any trick to keeping your shoulders dropped and relaxed?

doug maverick
08-09-2002, 11:59 AM
where do you study yi guan?

MonkeyBoy
08-09-2002, 04:32 PM
West 25th

Dachengdao
08-09-2002, 08:02 PM
As the lineage holder to Dachengquan, I invite you to check out my website for indepth info:www.geocities.com/dachengdao
No one should be practicing for hours on end! To begin, hold the stances 5-10 minutes at a time until you build up your energy. Since you live in NY, come by my class anytime as my guest. See my schedule on the web and give me EMail to tell me when to expect you.
Grandmaster Wang Rengang

Crimson Phoenix
08-10-2002, 01:19 AM
Mr Wang,
I see you studied with Wang Xuan Jie. I always heard first hand informations about him and his prowesses. He had a dedication to his art that few have now. But we all have to go...
Here's my question: do you happent to know someone teaching in France who goes by the name of Ming Shan?
He studied with Wang for a while, and now he's more with Cui Rui Bin and Yao Zhong Xun...
Just curious...

Dachengdao
08-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Bonjour!
Yes, I am aware that Ming Shan is teaching in France. What a coincidence that just the other day I was watching the video he made with our late master in the Tai-an Mountains. Ming Shan's Dragon form was superb! Since Yao Zhang Xun has passed away, probably he is associated with his son Yao Cheung Guan. I'm not sure. Have you studied with him? My Master Wang Xuanjie really loved the French students that came out to study with us. Many could speak Chinese quite well. :)