PDA

View Full Version : hapkido

Former castleva
08-03-2002, 10:00 AM
I became very interested in this art a while ago.
For those with even less knowledge than me,itīs a korean art "of self-defense" and quite a lot more.
I wonder if there are any practitioners of this art (as in itīs original form,or other) or just about anyone with a single opinion or thoughts to share.
Letīs go for it!:)

dezhen2001
08-03-2002, 10:09 AM
it'll probably get moved to the other arts section :D

But anyway,
i did a little of it around the same time as i trained my aikido. It's similar in some ways, but has techniques that go against the way the body moves (joints etc), as well as some striking skills. Actually it reminds me of Shorinji Kempo a lot, which i studied for a while... containing fluid movement between striking and standing grappling range, as well as some really cool stuff :D They are skill si respect very much...

Dunno if that's they same type of Hapkido u do?
oh well :D

david

rogue
08-03-2002, 10:44 AM
Check out if the hand strikes, kicks, throws and joint locks all flow. I've seen some Hapkido where the parts never made a whole, kind of like bolting Aikido or JJ onto basic TKD, which is what the schools may have done. Good HKD should look complete and not like a collection of techniques. Check out it's sister arts Kuk Sool Wan and Hwarangdo too.

Former castleva
08-03-2002, 10:51 AM
From thread to another,eh:D
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes,it is pretty similar to aikido in some ways (studied the art for a short time,along with theory) non-resistance,opponentīs force against him and circular movement with many other points.
"Dunno if that's they same type of Hapkido u do?" Thanks for the respect,but Iīm not "into" it just yet.:)
Iīm familiar with shorinji kempo theory too,there are similarities,it seems...soft technique-hard technique etc.
But hapkido approach is,luckily,itīs own.
"but has techniques that go against the way the body moves (joints etc), "
Yep.I believe that is a point too.It is not all like aikido where you just follow the natural movements,creating no injury (of course it is also a matter of approach,Iīve heard some like to turn these aiki techniques into dislocations/breaks etc.) There has to be a lot of technique in it,these previously noted principles or it would go into a lowest form of grappling etc. To know soft,you have to go hard bla,bla,bla.
"it'll probably get moved to the other arts section"
That was a minor concern of mine while writing,but since it seems any unrelated post goes trough these days,a normal MA post wonīt.:)

Thanks again.:)

rogue
08-03-2002, 10:54 AM
I've noticed techniques in Tai Chi that mirror the ones in Hapkido. And if Jet Li was Korean I'm sure he'd do Hapkido.

dezhen2001
08-03-2002, 10:57 AM
I've even seen some similar kind of Qin Na in Wing Chun (when playing), than is used in aikido, just not quite so circular ;) Also that If i follow WC principles it's harder for them to lock me etc. :)

david

dezhen2001
08-03-2002, 11:01 AM
FC: yeh theres not much on the forum today, so i'm jumping around quickly... if my modem lets me stay connected ;)

Hope u can find a good teacher of whatever style it is you want to train :) Doing some research first beforehand is a good idea imo. I'm sure it will be worth it...

david

MonkeySlap Too
08-03-2002, 11:24 AM
You will lean 5,000 ways to stop a wrist grab.

You will learn 5,000 ways to stop someone who punches in front of you and holds it out there.

You will learn how to step back and 'wave hi' when you are attacked.

If you like the sound of that, go for it.

Black Jack
08-03-2002, 11:54 AM
LMAO!!!

You forgot the 5,000 different defenses for a label grab and learning to count in korean to ten.

If you are going to check out Hapkido you might want to go take a peek at the Combat Hapkido organization. From what I have seen and understand is that they are pretty focused on putting it all together for street self defense.

Hwarang seems interesting but I here that it is really is hapkido under a new marketing veil. Who knows, either way find a good teacher, thats the key anyway.

NPMantis
08-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Bit off the subject but if you're interested Hapkido was the original art Jackie Chan studied, which I am told is where a lot of his flashy high kicks, etc. in his films are from.

Kumkuat
08-03-2002, 02:59 PM
Hapkido does have a lot of techniques. It's no joke about 5000 techs for wrist grab, shoulder grab, clothes grab, etc., There are thousands of different sub styles of Hapkido as well. Some focuses more on the striking part (usually some TKD teacher who knows a few locks and calling that hapkido). Some are hard. Some are soft. Some mix the locks with striking. Some is almost pure locks and throws. Some have wrestling, etc., I personally like it because I like qinna. But I don't know the effectiveness for fighting though.

Former castleva
08-04-2002, 03:32 AM
Thanks a lot everyone!
"Check out it's sister arts"
Iīve got the idea that hwarang is,as you said.I donīt know much about kuk won sool but why not.
Funny thing some even refer to hapkido and hwarangdo as nearly completely similar arts,but thatīs them I guess.
"You will lean 5,000 ways to stop a wrist grab."
Fine,I already know about five. ;)
BlackJack,Iīve read some about combat HKD,master Pellegriniīs style I suppose.
Seems like a slightly modern off-shoot of original art,flashy kicks taken away (but as far as I know,original founder Choi was not that much into flashy kicks)
NPmantis,
Iīve also read that hapkido has had a lot of influence on his kicks.Funny thing Sammo Hung considers hapkido his favourite art besides wing chun.
Interesting for chinese stylers.
Kumkuat,
I see.About effectiveness,it seems it should be for it is so often mentioned.

:)