PDA

View Full Version : Water Dragon Crushed my Tracia!!

Royal Dragon
08-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Dude, that was the last time I let YOU try a choke out on ME!!

My throaght is so sore!!, I can't even swollow my dinner!!! (although I could stand to loose some wieght).

Ouch..............................

Nice sleeper hold though, blacked me out in less than a second.

Just wait, I'll get even nexttime!!! ;) :eek:

SevenStar
08-03-2002, 07:43 PM
were you grappling, or was he just demo-ing the choke? remember to tap bud....tapping is your friend.:)

Also, neck soreness and stiffness is pretty common when you have had your neck wrenched a few times and aren't used to it...It gets easier :)

don bohrer
08-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Royal Dragon,

Could you describe the variation of the sleeper hold W.D. slapped on you. I just want to compare notes. Never know when I might have to choke out my boss or a fellow worker!

Kidding aside I too have experienced a behind the back V chockout, ouch! I sqeaked just before the blackness closed in and my buddy released the hold. Funny thing it was supposed to be just a demo, hardeehar. I had a headache for 3 hours.

We have several variations of strangelation holds. The one I like is the same one that Norris always did on his show. I haven't applied it on anyone yet so I don't know how well it works. Volunteers are so hard to find.

Royal Dragon
08-03-2002, 10:22 PM
I felt fine except for the crushing of my wind pipe. I turned into it to get the wind pipe into the crook of his elbow to open it up and get the pressure off, and all of a sudden I went all wuuzzy. I though to myself I'd better tap out now, but my arm wouldn't move at first.

I don't know if he let me go because I tapped, or because he felt me black out.

I think the sore throught is actually from several solid chokes in a row. It was just demmos, not sparring. We played around a bit trying to figure out how he knocked me out after wards too.

It was so sudden. One second I was just fighting discomfort and the next my body was not obeying my commands, and going all black. then there was that loud buzzing sound in my head.

I didn't get a head ache or anything, but my throaght has been in major pain all day.

fightfan
08-04-2002, 03:33 AM
No offense, but if someone choked me that hard during a demo Id beat the s hit out of them.

Former castleva
08-04-2002, 03:47 AM
Sorry to hear that.
Be careful when it comes to choking,it is one of the most dangerous of techniques and takes a qualified skill to do safely.
Only a small while too much and less sensitivity can be too much.This may sound a bit strange but training vein sealing choking could be easier (on the one getting choked) for it´s faster,hurts less and carotids "recover" more easily from the process (there are some serious things to think about though,you may take this slightly more lightly though as I´m only a frigging beginner;) )
Bad stuff that might happen as unexpected when sealing breath would include:
trachea damage-Have not heard of it happening much at dojo´s but if it actually gets crushed...sucks.
swelling/related activity afterwards:is probably rare too but if somehow the choke happens to be too hard on windpipe,it may swell,"grow" and airway may be blocked effectively.
Happening and causing death from minutes to hours (cycle)

respectmankind
08-04-2002, 03:52 AM
eiye.. i have a friend who although has no experience in ma's, and i have pretty much none in grappling ( i still can do a friggin choke/sleeper and some holds/locks) i cannopt choke him out no matter how much a sink it on him. hell, i spelled my nake with his spine one, but flexability really has nothing o do with the story. meh... there, you get 2 stories for teh price of one

SevenStar
08-04-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
I felt fine except for the crushing of my wind pipe. I turned into it to get the wind pipe into the crook of his elbow to open it up and get the pressure off, and all of a sudden I went all wuuzzy. I though to myself I'd better tap out now, but my arm wouldn't move at first.

that was where you made the mistake. That's exactly where he wanted you to be. when someone is trying to choke you, there are two things you want to do:

1. tuck your chin - this will prevent him from getting your trachea, and

2. try to pull down on the choking arm, to give yourself some space.

then, try to work your way out of the choke.

I don't know if he let me go because I tapped, or because he felt me black out.

I think the sore throught is actually from several solid chokes in a row. It was just demmos, not sparring. We played around a bit trying to figure out how he knocked me out after wards too.

yeah, repetitive choking and rolling will do that if you aren't used to it.

It was so sudden. One second I was just fighting discomfort and the next my body was not obeying my commands, and going all black. then there was that loud buzzing sound in my head.

yeah, you don't have long. you have to try to pull the arm and tuck the chin as soon as you feel the choke coming, and start trying to escape. Once the choke has been set in, you're gone - you have to tap.

Former castleva
08-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Good info from Sevenstar.

Other stuff that I would like to add to the previous are:
Turn your head to side (harder for him to reach your throat)
Roll your shoulders forward (still even harder to get a good grip)
First thing to do while getting choked,is to free the airway,or your neck.Just like in any chin-na,a good sense of sensitivity will do good.Whenever you sense the attack,respond quickly and viciously.

Water Dragon
08-04-2002, 12:30 PM
I got the choke, and started squeezing my elbows together to lock it down. R.D.'s still fighting me, so I figure I didn;t have it sunk right. I mean, it FELT like I had him, but he didn't tap. So I squeezed harder and he tapped.

If it makes you feel better, Myoung **** near wrenched my shoulder out of the socket today and Lil Joe caught me square in the nose.

Water Dragon
08-04-2002, 12:33 PM
It was a standard mata leao. line your elbow up with his chin, grab your bicep, get your other hand behind the head, and squeeze your elbows together.

I think the soreness came from the Qi Gong our teacher showed us, it locks the choke up very quickly.

Royal Dragon
08-04-2002, 02:02 PM
Anyway, a few of you were talking about how to deal with the choke, but to be honest, he was testing a move on my, and I was trying not to fight too hard. As it got uncomfortable, a fought a little to clear the air way, but I was not really struggling, and then blammo I was passing out.

Most of the advice above would have worked if wer were sparring and I was being resisting, but I let him just about lock the choke in completly before I struggled a bit. I put up a bit of resistance because I was trying to make him work because in a real fight it's just not going to be that easy, that and I was playing with how "I" might deal with a similar situation if it had gone that far. I discoverd I'd deal with it by passing out (LOL!)

Aiming my wind pipe into his elbow was what gave him the artery and sealed it. I should have just tapped sooner, but I'm a stubborn cuss sometimes. At that point, anyone would have been done for. The time to stop it would have been on his entry, which I gave him for practice of the choke anyway.

Water Dragon,
So I actually did tap? I wasn't sure at that moment, everything was black and buzzing.

Anyway, It was fun. See Ya Friday night at Myung's!!!

Royal Dragon
08-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Do you mean the internal like mechanics and how he showed us to issue more power with the upper torso? Yes, I think that's what really did it. I was sore before, but I was really sore after that one. Next class, you get to be the choking dummy :D

My mistake was going "WOW that looks Cool, can you show me"?

SevenStar
08-04-2002, 02:27 PM
you're gonna be there friday? cool.

Royal Dragon
08-04-2002, 03:04 PM
I'm going to be there. Then WD can show you what he did live.:D

SevenStar
08-04-2002, 03:47 PM
I'm quite familiar with that choke - I get choked and arm barred 4 nights a week :D

don bohrer
08-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Guys,

During thursdays class we were practicing free form takedowns and immobolization techs in a round robin format. Yeah we have some really large guys. Lucky for me I managed NOT to get Rudy who is 400 pounds! After a short scuffle I managed to guillotine my opponent. We went to the ground and I locked his leg up to prevent his escape.

The hold wasn't a perfect choke, as he managed to have his arm in there, but It was pinned againts his neck and my body. He was unable to escape. Sad thing was I didn't know what else to do either, but just aplied the hold as tightly as I could. I was mindful enough to listen and watch for him to tap. My instructor stopped the match, and my partner was pretty woozy after getting up.

Normally we don't practice much in the way of ground fighting. The UFC has influenced many schools in favor of grappling, including mine. My instructor is currently training in juijitsu, and will expose us to moves and concepts throughout the year.

Pure Juijitsu classes won't happen until next year. I believe that is when my instructor will feel compfortable with his training. I am not looking to be a grappler, but just a better martial artist. Most importantly I don't want to loose out on Kenpo because of the ground game craze. I would prefer to augument moves and concepts already found in kenpo.

Kenpo has sweeps, joint locks, hip throws, trapping and the belief in not going to the ground. Matter of fact most high kicking is also considered a nono. My system says if you want to kick someone in the head you should first put them on the ground. :) Anyway I fell core concepts found in kenpo will likely be broken because of the UFC. Not sure what to think of that yet.