PDA

View Full Version : Mok Gar?

Stateside
08-09-2001, 06:25 PM
Another forum member suggested I repeat my question here. Any knowledge gratefully received:

Where I grew up the only martial arts club other than shotokan karate was a shaolin mok ka (mok gar) kung fu club. I trained at that club for about 12 years before leaving my hometown for the city lights. Since then I've trained at various martial arts, including wing chun. But I've never come across another Mok Gar club (with the exception of my sifu's teacher, whose club is the other side of the country from me).

Has anyone ever come across this style, and if so, do you know where other clubs might be found? Who else teaches it, etc.

Sorry if this question has appeared on here before but, as I say, I new.

BukSing
08-10-2001, 06:42 PM
I have also been interested to know more about soem Mok Gar schools out of curiosity myself. I have studied Wah Lum Preying Mantis which does have Mok Gar influence integrated with the system. I would be curious to know more about Mok Gar.

Charp-Chui

Stateside
08-11-2001, 02:22 AM
Charp-Chui - I didn't know that. Technically Mok Gar is a slightly strange style. The forms are a mixture of long low stances and long fist punches, and short stances and short punches. Beginners learn lots of kicks (round kick, groin kick, side kick, etc.). As one progresses the kicks become shorter range (sidekick and front kick), and the punching does too (it looks very similar to wing chun in its punching). Actually, after going to my first WC lesson a few years ago I was struck by how similar Mok Gar was to it in terms of punching.

As far as history of the style goes I know the usual stuff about the shaolin monks that survived, one of them being Mok. Also, the person who brought the style to England from HK was Charles Chan, ad he learnt from Dr Cheng Wing Fei. As to other lines of the Mok lineage I'm uncertain, hence my question.

FIRE HAWK
08-11-2001, 04:31 AM
http://www.sojournpast.com/

Ben Gash
08-13-2001, 11:25 PM
The only Mok Gar in England I know of is in the west midlands under students of Charles Chan.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

Laine Nakachi
09-25-2001, 10:53 AM
Mok Gar is one of the styles or systems in the Shaolin temple.
Also known as Mok Ga known for it's whipping power and low kicks.

Take Care ,

Fe luk

reneritchie
09-25-2001, 07:34 PM
Aside from the popular 5 families stories, while looking into something else I also came across an account of Choy Gao-Yee being a Ming general who brought his own system of MA to the South (which became the first of two kinds of Choy Ga popular in Guangdong) and teaching it to, among others, the Mok family from which Moy Ga developed.

No idea as to the reliability of the story, however. Gotta love that dummy, though, where the coins come flying out the top during practice 8)

Rgds,

RR