PDA

View Full Version : endurance/sprint

respectmankind
08-04-2002, 01:58 AM
endurance or 'sprint' training? which is more practical/needed?

I say 'sprint' training.

Mr Punch
08-04-2002, 02:01 AM
depends what for...

marathons or 100 m?!:D

respectmankind
08-04-2002, 02:07 AM
i like noodles

oh, and noodles can help you with energy. so says my text book.

Mr Punch
08-04-2002, 02:15 AM
I used to be the fastest sprinter in my school over 200 and 400 (by a long way), and second fastest over 100... I am still very very fast, and so is my kungfu. I can't say if they're connected... but I have heard it said that training for sprints will increase your speed at MA too. maybe this is as much to do with mindset as anything, and overall muscle memory...? Don't know if it works like that...

My endurance running was always good too: at school the fastest over 10k by quite a long way. A couple of years ago, I was doing 10k before breakfast 4 or so days a week, and my chi sao became a little easier for long times, though, of course, I still got pains in my shoulders if I was too stiff. I think it helped when I got body shots too. Tho it probably just really helped to offset my smoking at the time...:o

Now, my endurance is a bit hopeless... I don't smoke any more, but I do live in Tokyo...!:(

Mr Punch
08-04-2002, 02:17 AM
I like noodles too.

They can be an integral part of a well-balanced diet. So says my stomach.

Liokault
08-05-2002, 04:01 AM
Sprint training is by far the best sort if i understand your question.

Distance running is not really apropriate for MA in my opinion unless you are trying to loose weight.

Ok best way to do it is to find a steep hill (about 200 meters) and run up it either against a watch or against a training parttner as it is easy to not push your self.

Repeat this about 3 times at the start of your training then get up to around 9-10 times when you are good.

I find this really pushes my stamina up for san shou really fast.

It is worth remembering that when you stop training stamina drops off much faster than you would think.