PDA

View Full Version : The Palm Is Mightier Than The Fist!

Serpent
08-04-2002, 09:45 PM
It's well accepted that at higher levels of ability (and I'm not necessarily claiming to be at a higher level than anyone!) the palm becomes more powerful than the fist. The palm is faster and more "controllable" and I've certainly found an ability to do more damage and have greater control using palms. It's also often easier to set up better body alignment and deliver more internal power through a palm. Also, there's the added advantage of less chance of a broken hand on some concrete jawed neanderthal.

So, do you guys and gals agree? Do you prefer palms? How do you use them? Where is the palm definitely better than the fist and where is the fist the ultimate?

joedoe
08-04-2002, 10:18 PM
My palm combined with the fist do an excellent job .. hang on, you're talking about fighting aren't you? :D

It is funny - I have punched many people in the head, every time with full force and I have never suffered any ill effects from it. Just lucky I guess.

Palm v. Punch? I think it is a matter of personal/stylistic preference.

TaoBoy
08-04-2002, 10:30 PM
The first strike taught in my system is a palm strike.

And I gotta say I like the palms the most.

It's horses for courses - palms for the face, fists for the throat etc. etc.

Serpent
08-04-2002, 10:31 PM
Agreed. I've used fists plenty as well and only ever really got bruises at worst. But I do prefer the power of a palm. (And yes, we are talking about fighting! ;) )

The other side to the broken hand coin (from punching a hard head) is that with a palm you run the risk of broken fingers from blocks or poor technique. Keeping the palm strong at the point of impact helps here, of course, but there's a certain emptiness to really powerful palms and there's always the risk of fingers getting caught/trapped/crushed by the opponent or even the opponent's clothing, bag strap, whatever.

TaoBoy
08-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Good technique is always important.

We always use the philosophy - hard weapon for soft targets and softer weapon for hard targets.

Serpent
08-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Certainly. But that raises the question: Is the palm really a soft weapon?

What about an extended palm? (Iron fingers, spearhand, whatever you called it. Bil gee.) That is technically a hard palm, perfect for soft targets like eyes and throat.

Is a Buddha palm really a "soft" technique?

Helicopter
08-05-2002, 12:44 AM
I agree with Taoboy:

"Use the right tool for the job!"
as my Dad would say (usually as I was trying to undo a screw with a table knife :) )

Former castleva
08-05-2002, 12:51 AM
They both have their place,as stated.
You can strike a chin with a fist (like in uppercut like motion)
You can also strike it with palm heel (while a fist may first come in handy for a knock-out strike,a palm may be used to unbalance by lifting the head,throwing the opponent or dislocating the neck)

respectmankind
08-05-2002, 01:43 AM
well, both have use... i preffer palm. i hit harder with it

Helicopter
08-05-2002, 01:50 AM
Personally I feel the Palm is better at shorter ranges and the Fist at full extension.

David Jamieson
08-05-2002, 07:30 AM
Both have purpose and use.

A strike from a fist is a short, sharp, shock that can turned into a driving crush.

A palm strike delivers energy over a larger area and can turn to a push or drive away.

They both have purpose. i do not personally believe one has value moreso than the other. Each is used where it is appropriate to use it. Some cases call for a palm, others a fist.

I think that the "higher levels use a palm" is a myth born of systems that almost exclusively use palms. No offense Bagua folks, but fists cause a lot of damage and are just as much a show stopper as a palm strike when delivered properly and with correct power.

peace

Former castleva
08-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Even though itīs sometimes neglected,
Pakua stylists also use fist strikes etc. as "secondary" choises.
-non pakua stylist-

Ford Prefect
08-05-2002, 08:20 AM
I practice Ba Gua, but I've also practiced boxing extensively and muay thai to a lesser degree. I've found that the palm strikes deliver a different type of energy than fists. This could just be the system though since I've seen karate palm heel strikes that hit the same as punches. I guess like in everything... it depends! :)

WingTsun20
08-05-2002, 10:59 AM
Palm is brilliant for hitting the human body(strong bone) some parts it fits perfectly!

Fist is good but can lead to fractures!(mostly used as empty handed weapons!)

Try and hit the wooden dummy and make it move see which you prefer!

Palm is brilliant on liver strikes, blows to ear etc... its very flexible and effective!!!!

WingTsun20
08-05-2002, 11:01 AM
Palm is brilliant for hitting the human body(strong bone) some parts it fits perfectly!

Fist is good but can lead to fractures!(mostly used as empty handed weapons!)

Try and hit the wooden dummy and make it move see which you prefer!

Palm is brilliant on liver strikes, blows to ear etc... its very flexible and effective!!!!

At a carnival I went on that stupid punching machine with a silly pal strike from S-N-T (WingTsun first form) I got 410! lol
Alot of ppl got very jealous!

count
08-05-2002, 12:47 PM
I think that the "higher levels use a palm" is a myth born of systems that almost exclusively use palms. No offense Bagua folks, but fists cause a lot of damage and are just as much a show stopper as a palm strike when delivered properly and with correct power.

None taken Kung Lek, Alot of people make the mistake of thinking bagua fighters fight with their palms.;)

NPMantis
08-05-2002, 01:15 PM
I prefer the palm too, 2 bones in your forearm compared to many in your hands - less chance of an injury and less 'give' in your palm giving a much more powerful strike.