PDA

View Full Version : Multiple chokes. Bad for your health?

Serpent
08-04-2002, 10:52 PM
I don't do much in the way of grappling, certainly not nearly as much as the exclusively BJJ or MMA guys.

However, reading the thread about Royal Dragon's trachea being crushed I got to thinking. We know that repeated blows to the head a la professional boxing will have a long term physiological effect. What about being repeatedly choked out to unconsciousness? Or at least choked enough to go woozy and have to tap out?

Would this have any long term effect on the brain? On the carotid arteries? Would the brain suffer from repeated periods of low oxygen and blood flow?

I wonder if there have been any studies done on this. What do you think?

Good lord Jeebus, two serious, on-topic posts in one day. I'd better go and have a lie down. Could someone pour me a glass of cold water, please......

Former castleva
08-05-2002, 01:23 AM
Well I have not heard much about accidents or related.
Judoka´s and other practitioners practice that stuff a lot and all the time and I´ve heard little about serious accidents.
Generally carotid arteries recover pretty well from choking,windpipe is usually a bit harder.
There is a certain risk to vein sealing techniques though,
some people are ultra-sensitive against this kind of chokes.
They are a few,but a usual sealing technique like this,may cause death even if committed normally,their arteries lack resistance against this kind of pressure (I´ve had the idea that old people with weakened arteries are more likely)
Another case is the "censor" around the artery,a small spot which controls the blood circulation to a point.
If it is affected by a press or related activity it can "tell" the heart to lower the blood pressure as if it would be too high,this may also cause serious effects.
Study has been made,I think.
Books have been written on various areas of the art.

Now after having you choked out,we will place you flat on the floor to lie down,give you some time to recover and pour a glass of water on your face (as in a revival technique) here you are!
:D ;)

I hope this helps slightly

dedalus
08-05-2002, 02:10 AM
One of the most common sites from which to throw clots to the brain (causing ischaemic damage) is the carotid sinus. I've seen no data to indicate that martial artists who are subject to choking techniques have a higher incidence of stroke or dementia, and one would expect a fit, non-smoking martial artist to have healthy blood vessles, but if *I* had any vascular problems (especially atherosclerosis), I would avoid chokes. Traumatic injury of the carotid sinus can definitely cause fragments of atherosclerotic plaque to break off and travel to the brain.

The baroceptor reflex that Castleva mentioned could also be a problem for someone with a heart condition - and that's also coordinated at the carotid sinus. This mechanism is said to exist to modulate heart rate in response to blood pressure (so when you strike the carotid sinus, the local bp shoots up and the heart rate subsequently shoots down - it can even stop the heart and cause death).

One should keep in mind that crush injuries to the trachea can also kill, and anyone who has experienced or seen such an injury will be familiar with the panic it can inspire in the victim! That's one reason why martial artists target the CV point in the tracheal notch. Its a good place to poke gently (!) to escape from the classic double lapel grab ;-)

Personally I don't grapple or let myself be knocked out. Maybe it isn't a problem (I reckon joint damage is the worse risk in BJJ) but why risk it anyway? Who knows what your man-lovin' wrestling buddy is getting up to while you're unconscious...

Royal Dragon
08-05-2002, 05:01 AM
Maybe it's just I'm not used to it, but I'm still a little sore today, and the Choke happened Saturday. I never had trouble breathing or anything, but I was sore a hell Saturday night, to the point I was difficult to eat.

I think part of it is I have a high tolorance for pain, and didn't realise how far it had gone, that and Water Dragon didn't see much effcet on me and thought he hadn't locked it in, when infact he had.