PDA

View Full Version : Lan Sau Pt II

Nat from UK
08-05-2002, 05:22 AM
When playing Lan Sau, do you keep the back of your hand level with your forearm or do you angle it upwards, so the final position would leave your knuckles almost pointing upwards whilst your forearm is almost parrallel with the floor.

I have been shown both but have a preference, anybody train it this way or any alternatives to the two above ??

Nat from UK

stuartm
08-05-2002, 05:54 AM
Hi Nat,

IMO, the hand should be level with the forearm. If anything, i tend to turn my hand in towards the chest evr so slightly as it locks the wrist into the arm. I was also taught that you should do this when practising Jum sau. I have been taught this way in other lineages too.

By turning the wrist in towards you slightly you get more leverage and it generally has stronger feel. Try it by placing your hand on the outside of your larn sau on the fleshy part of the arm. Then turn your your hand in towards the chest and back out slightly - you should feel the arm muscles tensing when you turn the hand in. To me this feels stronger when using larn sau in application.

It works for me so i guess thats what matters!!

Best..............Stuart