PDA

View Full Version : Yip Man and Chi Gerk

stuartm
08-05-2002, 06:19 AM
Dear All,

Does anyone know if Yip Man definitely teached Chi Gerk or was added later by his students. Also the gerk jong - did Ip Man teach it? I know that some lineages use it for e.g. Leung Ting.

Interested to know.

Best .............Stuart

byond
08-05-2002, 11:31 AM
hi stuart....how are you and your sifu doing? well, i hope.
my understanding, is that general opinion, is that yip man did not teach chi gerk......by chi gerk i mean the looped structured drill....of cource yip man taught kicking but not using the chi gerk platform...supposidly yip man's elder students devised it.....i have been told by someone who has met wsl and learned from one of wong's top students that wong was the main creator of the chi gerk platform......supposidly yip man taught chi gerk principles on the jong---gerk jong... though it was rare that he did..the kicking was something yip man overall kept for himself..as we know yip man was of a unique temperment.....but yes leung ting, who payed a lot of $ for it, has the additional kicking on the jong as well as chow tze chun...who is famous for his chi gerk skill....chow tze chun says he was taught 4 additional kicks on the jong by yip man and that made 8 total....i think ho kam ming was also taught the additional kicks (i could be mistaken on this one...joy??)...its commonly understood that many of "yip mans" students really got alot of there knowledge from wsl...including the bot tzam tao
brian

yuanfen
08-05-2002, 06:57 PM
i think ho kam ming was also taught the additional kicks (i could be mistaken on this one...joy??)...its commonly understood that many of "yip mans" students really got alot of there knowledge from wsl...including the bot tzam tao
brian
------------------------------------------------------------
Brian-I had composed a reply-but I dont know what happened to it. Ho Kam Ming completed the system with Ip man personally.
Learning the bot jam do was the capstone of finishing the formal
education after which HKM stayed in regular touch with Ip man till the end. Naturally, the finishing included all the kicks. IMO. chi gerk is part of Ip man wing chun-Ip Man just didnt do it with everyone. Next generation learned a lot from each other and so it continues. Nothing wrong with that. Different paths up the mountain.