PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Ironfist on ab work

Kungfu boy
08-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Okay partly a clarifacation and a question.

Clarifacation: The abdominal area is one big muscle with no seperate muscle "heads". Correct?

Question: Although there are no other "heads" are the various ab exercises like elbow-to-knee movement working the same muscle just at a different angle?

Thanks

IronFist
08-06-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Kungfu boy
Okay partly a clarifacation and a question.

Clarifacation: The abdominal area is one big muscle with no seperate muscle "heads". Correct?

Uh, the 6-pack is one muscle. The "abdominal area" is a bunch of muscles, including the rectus abdominus, obliques, lower back muscles, etc.

Question: Although there are no other "heads" are the various ab exercises like elbow-to-knee movement working the same muscle just at a different angle?

Thanks

Well, it's kind of like doing barbell curls vs. curl bar curls vs. dumbell curls. They are all working the biceps, but certain ones may involve other muscles more so than others. The same example with abs (6-pack muscle) would be like, regular crunches work the abs and the hip flexors a little bit, janda situps work only the abs and not the hip flexors (if done properly), hanging knee raises work the abs and involve the hip flexors a bit more.

Make sense? I guess you could say the different angle thing if you wanted.

Let me know if I need to explain this again. I'm really tired so it might not make any sense.

IronFist

Kungfu boy
08-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Further clariacation: The ab debate of upper/lower abs are wrong, since the front rectus abdominus(6 pack) is one muscle. correct? And the obliques are completely different muscles? Hence you can work them seperately?

Thanks

IronFist
08-06-2002, 02:27 PM
That's correct.

IronFist