PDA

View Full Version : CLF Cheung Kuen

Eddie
08-12-2001, 12:53 PM
I read this book called Choy Lay Fut Dynamic Kung Fu (Not to be mistaken by the Lee Koon Hung book) by Leo T Fong. They have a form inside called Cheung Kuen. Does anyone actually do this form? The book calls this form the Long Range form of CLF.

Thank you
Eddie
PS- Sow Choy, if you see this message, please e-mail me. I wanted to confirm some things with you. I dont know if you got my e-mails.

Ray
08-12-2001, 03:42 PM
I have that form on video doing by Leo T. Fong, I thinks is it from the 70's! He is from the Lau Bun lineage.

Fu-Pow
08-12-2001, 08:12 PM
Is it the same as Tid Jin Cheung Kuen. Iron Arrow Long Form? I think our branch just calls it Tid Juen Kuen.

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

Ray
08-12-2001, 08:22 PM
No, they are a different form.

BukSing
08-13-2001, 02:52 AM
I have heard of the Cheung Kuen, but have never seen it. There is a Buk Sing Si-Fu by the name of Vince Lacey, who apparently has this set as one of their core sets in the Buk Sing style of Choy Lay Fut. If you go to their web-page at buksing.com they have e-mail where you can contact them and they maybe able to help you.

Charp-Chui

Sow Choy
08-13-2001, 06:27 PM
Cheung Kuen, means long fist. Maybe the book refers to our style being a long fist style. I have heard of he form being in bak sing, but if the author of the books sifu learned from Lau Bun, maybe someone in that family can tell us of the form. Are there any Doc Fai wong students here?

In the Lee Koon Hung branch, we don't have a form with that name.

Eddie,
Got your email, and the transfer is complete.

Take care everybody!

http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/images/5_29_2big.jpg

Eddie
08-14-2001, 09:13 AM
Guys,
no offence to anyone on this, but from what it seems in this book, Sifu Fong's choy lay fut looks much more like karate. Actually, he makes allot of cross reference to karate kata in this book. Also his paragraph about the origin of kung fu, he mentions DaMo as Daruma. One can asume Sifu Fong has a strong karate back ground.

Never the less, the book is interesting, and sifu Fong seems to have loved his kung fu (I'm not to sure if he is still alive). He also seemed to have done allot to promote CLF in the States during the 70's. The book is dedicated to "his good friend" Bruce Lee, so I gather that Sifu Fong was active in the Kung Fu scene during that era.

Fu Pow, the form doesn't look anything like Teut Jin Keun. To be honost, the only movement I could recocnised in the book was Sow Choy. He seems to do his sow choys from lau ma (twist stance), which is something I havent yet seen. Thinking of it, it could be a nice application, with strong power generated from the hipps. I have limited knowledge in CLF so I am not to sure if we also do that combonation in our line (maybe Sow Choy can tell us).

Have a nice day eveyone.

Eddie
08-14-2001, 09:27 AM
Charp Choy,
Is Vince Lacey in any way related to Shane Lacey?
Has anyone ever met Shane Lacey? I saw him perform on some video, and he seems to be very tall. His kung fu is very good.

I am taller than avarage, and I am working on my forms. I want to compete in the states next year, and would love to compete in the form divisions. At first, one always think that shorter people can do their forms more better than us taller guys, but I believe with hard work, anything is posible. I have a very good role model by which I measure my progress (but he is much shorter and more well build for kung fu than I). I Saw Shane Lacey on the video, and he looked tall. Apparently he won a few of the Tat Wong 4 star Champs.

Does anyone know of some taller guys (over 6ft5) who has won some of the international forms events?

Have a good week everyone.

CLFNole
08-14-2001, 04:15 PM
Vince Lacey is Shane's father. He is taller than the typical kung fu tournament competitor but he is not 6'5". He might be 6'1". He combines a bit of wushu with his CLF and yes he is very good.

Peace.

P.S. If you are tall you really need to show good stances to do well. Lower than the average guy because you have to come down from a greater height.

Ray
08-14-2001, 04:42 PM
Leo T. Fong
Methodist Minister, Martial Artist, Fitness Coach, Filmmaker

Leo Fong was born in Canton, China. He migrated to the United States with his parents at the age of 5, and settled in Widener, Arkansas. He is a graduate of Forrest City, High School, Hendrix College - Conway, Arkansas, Southern Methodist University - Dallas Texas, and California State University - Sacramento, California.
As a martial artist, he began an amateur boxing career at the age of 15 years old. He fought Golden Gloves and Intercollegiate for over 5 years before his retirement in the mid-fifties. His amateur record was 18 - 7. He was noted as a knockout artist, with a potent left hook. After his active boxing career, he became an athletic director at Rankin Chapel in West Dallas, Texas where he developed a championship boxing team. He moved West to California in June 1954 where he was assigned as the Senior Minister of Chinese United Methodist Church in Sacramento, California. After a speaking engagement at a Church in San Francisco in 1958, he met Choy Lay Fut Grandmaster Low Bun. It was through Grandmaster Low Bun that Leo Fong was introduced to Kung fu. He trained with Grandmaster Bun for five years until he met James Yimm Lee, and was introduced to Sil Lum Gung Fu, and eventually met the great Bruce Lee. It was through Bruce Lee's influence that Leo Fong developed his own martial arts approach. He was encouraged to approach life with an " Empty Cup " attitude. He has trained in Tae Kwan Do, Karate, Arnis, Escrima, Judo, Jui Jitsu, Wrestling and synthesized the various systems he learned into his own approach which he calls Wei Kuen Do - " The Way of the Integrated Fist ". He holds Black Belts in Tae Kwan Do, Karate, and Arnis. In 1996 Master George Dillman and Dillman's Karate Institute International honored him with a 10th Degree Black Belt. Among his teachers are: Angel Cabales, Bruce Lee, James Y. Lee, Chong Yuk Yong, Remy Presas, Low Bun, and T. Y. Wong.
Today Leo Fong is devoting his full-time to developing the concepts of Wei Kuen Do. He sees a strong connection between the physical skills and spirituality. It is the spiritual dimension that can take the average martial artist to a high level of proficiency. All great masters have it, Bruce Lee is one of the greatest martial artists that ever lived because of his spiritual and philosophical depth. Others such as Judo Founder Jigoro Kano, Karate Founder Gichin Funakoshi, and Aikido Founder Morihei Ueshiba reached the spiritual level. Ueshiba once said, " When an opponent attacks, I move my mind. " Anyone who has seen films of the great master deflecting a series of multi-attacks will realize indeed his mind was at work rather than just his body. Kano was able to throw opponents much bigger and stronger than him because his spiritual depth was so rooted that he was super sensitive to his opponents energy.
In Wei Kuen Do, founder Leo Fong is focusing on all the spiritual elements that can help a martial artist to develop refined skills so in a combat situation a person can hit without getting hit, fight without fighting, transcend size, strength, and stamina. Wei Kuen Do offers one to develop inner skills that will help a person to overcome and transcend some of life's difficulties and adversities. Wei Kuen Do is more than a fighting art, it is a positive way of approaching totality of life.

Martial Arts Books
Written by
Leo Fong

Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu
Sil Lum Kung Fu
Wei Kuen Do " The Psychodynamic Art of Free Fighting "
Iron Palm Open Hand Fighting
Strategies for Winning in Kung Fu
Combat Kung Fu " The Street Fighting Art "
The Theory & Practice of Knockout Punch
Tiger Claw Training & Techniques
Power Kicking
Hitting Without Getting Hit
Wei Kuen Do " Trapping Hands Pressure Point Knockouts "
Wei Kuen Do " Sticky Hands Sensitivity "

Troy Dunwood
08-15-2001, 08:39 PM
This skill belongs to the Futsan Hung Sing Branch of Choy Lee Fut, formulated by the Great Hero Cheung Hung-Sing. Cheung Kuen or Long Fist was made known to the Americas in the early 1930's by Prof. Lau Bun who first operated the Wah Kuen studio in San Francisco during that time. Long Fist is a elementary skill of the Futsan Choy Lee Fut school teaching re-enforcement of stance and footwork, waist loosening as well as exercising the flexibility of the waist. Many Choy Lee Fut skills are housed within this basic form as: snake sliding steps, windmill palms, iron arrow arrow kick, chained uppercuts, iron broom sweep leg along with other mainstream choy lee fut skills and some which are unique to this school. This is the skill in the Futsan Branch that gives the student the solid foundation for advance training in this particular branch of Choy Lee Fut. My Great Grand Master was the late Lau Bun it was reported that students during his time would practice this skill for about 1 year
before advancing to other skills. Sifu Doc Fai Wong teaches this set as well as my Master the present head of Hung Sing Gwoon USA Grandmaster Dino Salvatera who has inherited our teaching from Master Jew Leong the top student of Prof> Lau Bun.

Ben Gash
08-20-2001, 03:50 AM
I know a version of this form, but there's no broom sweep in it. It places emphasis on a lunging mid level punch executed with the rear hand using an inverted fist. It's a nice form with lots of good waist movement, but is very physically demanding.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

SifuAbel
08-21-2001, 10:10 PM
Sifu Dunwood,

Are there any video samples or clips of this form? I

Its dangerous to think you are immortal.
sifuabel@yahoo.com

yik-wah-tik
08-26-2001, 06:17 PM
i am sifu jew, hung loong (Glorious Dragon) of the american hung sing branch of choy lee fut. i am a senior disciple of Jew Tien Loong the current head master of our hung sing kwoon. there is footage of our cheung kuen and no known clips on the computer
of this set. it is our most basic set and teaches you everything you need to take your opponent out with the fieceness of tiger. this set is known to be one of the original sets dating back to jeong hung sing. the only set that looks similar and i mean almost identical is cheh kuen.

the cheung kuen set in our eyes is the only set one needs to practice to defeat all foes if he was to give back his choy lee fut. (meaning, forgetting or just not practicing anything else).

sifu troy dunwood is my classmate. he is a strong performer and a good technician of his gung fu. his students are also very good as well.

but as sifu dunwoods classmate, i have one question for sifuable........you have made a comment on your reply to his statement on cheung kuen, and your statement was : and i quote "it is dangerous to think that you are immortal".

what i want to know is, are you threatening my classmate? because loose lips sink ships, and you don't want your ship sunk!

if that was your intention to make a threat by making that comment about it being dangerous to think you are immortal, then i have one for you....

no matter how good ones gung fu is, not even bruce lee or his son could stop a bullet!!!!!!!
:D

Crimson Phoenix
08-26-2001, 06:29 PM
Geez, what's up with all these threats??
Take it easy, it's just a signature line, it wasn't aimed at Mr Dunwood and it wasn't a threat...
I'm starting to think some peeps come to this forum to vent some hostility they can't vent in the real world...
Which reminds me I gotta take my ritalin ; :D

Fu-Pow
08-26-2001, 06:54 PM
Sifu Jew-

He meant no offense, it is simply a signature line that is added to the end of each message. It the same as my Lion and Signature at the end of mine. Nice to hear from a senior CLF practitioner on the boards. Welcome.

Yau Sam

:D

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

yik-wah-tik
08-27-2001, 06:38 PM
ONCE AGAIN I AM SIFU JEW HUNG LOONG. THIS TIME I AM OPENLY MAKING AN APOLOGY TO SIFU ABEL. AFTER CHECKING WITH SOME PEOPLE, I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE TAKE HIS STATEMENT OF "IT IS DANGEROUS TO THINK YOU ARE IMMORTAL" AS AN OPEN THREAT TO MY CLASS MATE TO SIFU TROY DUNWOOD.

ONE OF THE HUNG SING RULES IS WHEN YOU FIGHT YOU FIGHT TO WIN, AND TO NEVER BACK DOWN FROM AN ENEMY. THE HUNG SING PEOPLE (WORLDWIDE) ARE KNOWN TO BE HARDCORE FIGHERS WHO ARE ALWAYS READY FOR BATTLE. IN SOME INSTANCES THIS CAN BE CONSIDERED
UNCALLED FOR.

SO, SIFU ABEL, PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY ON MY REPLY TO YOUR POSTING. I HAVE EMAILED YOU ALREADY, AND WOULD LIKE YOU TO RESPOND TO THIS POSTING.
PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES.

RESPECTFULLY,
SIFU JEW HUNG LOONG
:o

yik-wah-tik
08-27-2001, 07:21 PM
to those who have stepped forward to inform me of my mistake, i'd like thank you. never meant trouble, just that the hung sing people are very proud and bullheaded when it comes to our brothers.

now, cheung kuen is a very good set. it can take up to 6-12 months to learn. at first it is meant to be practiced in a very slow manner and in a very strong, low horse. it teaches you to advance,
retreat, to sweep, it has cup choy's/pow choy's/
panther punches/fu jow's/ and sow choy's, and joint locks/blocks and such.

the horses in this set includes a general horse (square horse), tip toe horse, kneel horse, sweeping horse, retreating horse/ advancing horse/
twist horse. all the basics one will ever need.

once the practicioner has mastered this set he can pick up the pace and when done in a quicker manner, this is an impressive set to watch.

leo fong was a student of professor lau bun, but only for a very short time and seldomly ever came in to practice. even to our standards, his cheung kuen set is a little different than what we have.
we have the set originally as professor lau bun has passed down through the generations.

professor lau bun comes from one of the purest lines of choy lee fut today. out of the many choy lee fut schools around the world, our choy lee fut has always looked different from the other schools. but in april of 2000, my sifu jew tien loong and a group of my classmates travel to the birthplace of hung sing choy lee fut in fut san china. and according to the elders in fut san, out of the ten other clf schools that came to visit, that professor lau bun's choy lee fut is the closest, from beginning to end, to the original fut san hung sing choy lee fut.

please feel free to ask me anything you wish about our hung sing choy lee fut......or check out our website at : hungsing.com

thank you to all
sifu jew hung loong

my quote is: fight to win and never back down from an enemy! Hung Sing for life!

SifuAbel
08-28-2001, 12:29 AM
Ok. Ok. we are friends here . No need to get all hot under the collar. No need for apologies. It was a simple, although a strange, misunderstanding. I have a rep. for sticking it to the NHB immortals on this board, hence my signature. Which by the way is not a threat to anyone, it's just a bit of advice. No harm, no foul.

sifuabel@yahoo.com

SifuAbel
08-28-2001, 12:37 AM
Yik,

Wow! we are almost twins. I was born in 68 and have been doing kung fu 20 years too. Interesting.

I

sifuabel@yahoo.com