PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a personal trainer(getting hired 101)

zen_celt
08-05-2002, 07:55 PM
I've been looking for work as a personal trainer and with a few exceptions have noticed that it's generally best to be certified. Granted, certifications don't mean you know all that much(see "personal trainers at the gym" thread) but they look good on apps etc. I do know about as much as the average trainer nowadays, I'm nothing to brag about, but I do read exercise and nutrition books, mags, websites etc. constantly and will be studying kinesiology(emphasis exercise phys) at college next semester. Still, I need the cert to get a job. My question is: what cert do you guys(those working in/knowing the biz) reccomened I get? I've heard that NSCA(nat'l strength and conditiong assoc.) is the best(or one of), but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I was thinking about ACE and I saw the one Ironfist and suntzu were talking about on the other thread. I'm thinking of getting a couple of certs if I can afford it as some gyms pay more for the higher number of certs you have. I just don't have the money to take a hundred tests. So, which 1 or 2 certs would you guys most reccomend I try to get so I can get hired at a gym?

Brian_CA
08-06-2002, 10:25 AM
Kind of depends on your need to work. If you really need to get in the business and just want the CERT to work, the A.C.E is easier. However I would recommend taking the NSCA test instead. Take the time to really learn the info.

Working in the fitness industry, I have seen those that are educated and knowledgeable tend to do better then those that are not. Keep in mind, that it will take you a while to build your client base. As a trainer, it is extremely competitive and the pay generally only OK. Check the idea of group exercise instead. It is kind of like teaching a martial arts line up. The certs are a little easier and faster to obtain and you can work at multiple gyms. Most PTs I know only work 1 gym. Also the pay can be better. Do you think you could teach a Kickboxing class? The time commitment is less and the better pay.

Hope this helps,

Brian
San Francisco, CA

IronFist
08-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Actually, I find that the bigger and more bodybuilder-like you look the better your chances of getting hired are (for guys). This may be reminescent of the thought that people lift weights to get big, and therefore the bigger you are the better you are (and therefore more knowledgable you are) about lifting weights. That's why I've never been hired by a commercial gym... cuz I'm only 170lbs (even at 8% bf). They'd rather hire the roid heads.

Maybe I'm just bitter :P

The thing about more certifications is probably true, too.

Good luck.

IronFist

SevenStar
08-07-2002, 01:27 PM
Iron, what cert do you have? or are you degreed yet? One of my friends told me that her BAA counts as her cert.

zen_celt
08-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the reccomendations Brian. How do you feel about NFPT certs?

Ironfist, you're right, they do look more at big muscles than brains...most of the time. The trainer who helped me for a little while at twenty-four hour fitness was a little guy. He was also the only little guy there, though.
-ZC

SevenStar
08-18-2002, 04:00 PM
I got my copy of the NSCA's "Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning" in the mail the other day.

BDKF
08-21-2002, 04:36 AM
If you only want to get a few certifications, it is imperative that you make them count. The NSCA certification is a great one to have, but in my experience in the ex. phys. world, a certification by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) of which there are many to choose from depending on what you want to do, is considered the gold standard by most professionals in the field.

SevenStar
08-21-2002, 02:01 PM
I talked with a trainer friend of mine, and he said the ACSM was good, but is not as training oriented as the NSCA. He said if you want to be a trainer, get the NSCA first, then get the ACSM.