PDA

View Full Version : hung gar collapsing punch

brucelee2
08-12-2001, 10:05 PM
I recently checked out a hung gar class by a really good master. he told me that in hung gar the punching is different from that of other styles because the hung gar punch causes the opponent to collapse forward instead of projecting them outward/away. Has anyone else heard of this and if so can you give more detail?

also, if a hung gar practitioners spends a period of time conditioning their forearms (3 star blocking, etc) and then stops, do their forearms maintain the hardness or does it dissipate?

thanks

Go forward, my son, and
be like unto a torch
upon the darkness. Thou
are stripped now, of all
that was before. Look
not to thy fellow men
for guidance or
countenance- they canst
advise you no longer.
Thou shalt be as dust
now, and dust shall be
upon the tongues of thy
enemy. Verily, thou
shalt herald the coming
of the new age upon
man."

whippinghand
08-13-2001, 03:53 AM
In Wing Chun we punch like that too (well the way our school practises it). I know other martial arts have it too. It's not a novelty.

Turiyan
09-19-2001, 01:05 AM
Sure, every martial artist "has that too". But have you seen it? Its based on the sounds to my knowlege. Look in the jungle. Reesis (sp?) monkeys have a high pitched chatter. Lions, tigers, and ground animals have a lower growl or roar.

Higher pitched sounds blow back. Lower sounds drop. I've done that internal growl/grumble thing a few times and its kind of strange. And no, I wasnt hungry.

Live by works, not by faith.

Turiyan gold, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan
"A Brahmin, coming into existence, is born as the highest on earth, the
lord of all created beings, for the protection of the treasury of the
(natural) law. Whatever exists in the world is (by right), the
property of the Brahmin; on account of the excellence of his origin
(primogeniture and eminence of birth) The Brahmin is, indeed, entitled
to it all" --C1V99-V100 The laws of manu

Turiyan
09-19-2001, 01:06 AM
The turn-your-body and punch out from the shoulder punch from white crane (charge punch) wasnt meant to drop someone forward. Not orignally.

More later?

Turiyan gold, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan
"A Brahmin, coming into existence, is born as the highest on earth, the
lord of all created beings, for the protection of the treasury of the
(natural) law. Whatever exists in the world is (by right), the
property of the Brahmin; on account of the excellence of his origin
(primogeniture and eminence of birth) The Brahmin is, indeed, entitled
to it all" --C1V99-V100 The laws of manu

The Whyzyrd
09-19-2001, 07:15 PM
From what I have experienced (I stopped conditioning for a while myself) - you don't lose the hardness. That stays. What does happen though is that you lose your resistance to bruising and pain. That seems to be more of a soft tissue effect and it seems to dissipate over time.

As I restarted my 3 star work - people would comment on how hard my arms were (due to my previous training) but MAN did my arms hurt and did I bruise!

I have gotten back to where I was but that was my experience.

"The Wolf does not regard the barking dog"

BIU JI
09-20-2001, 01:28 AM
So are you saying that if you hit someone from the sternum upwards they will fold over instead of up and backwards?

I f you are striking straight into the sternum or sinking down into it or lower regions sure they'll bend forward but find it hard to see someone bending forward if you strike them in the chest.
You must be talking about a particular type of punch and not all punchs yeh!
As for conditioning I've found if I stop for a time the conditioning will dissipate somewhat, not entirely but you'll still have to make it up again.

dooder
09-27-2001, 04:50 AM
Dude, Dog Style has that punch. We started it.