PDA

View Full Version : Chow Gar Compared with Chu Gar

FIRE HAWK
08-13-2001, 05:58 AM
Chow Gar compared with Chu Gar

A comparison of Chow Gar and Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis By Matt Leggans

So much has been said about these two systems by both famillies over the years. It has been my good fortune to have experienced them both and so I have decided to share with the rest of the world my unbiased observation of the two. Even though I currently teach Chow Gar here in the states, the following is by no means my biased opinion of one sysyem over the other. For at the end of the day it's not really what you study, but how you study that counts.

My first meeting with Chu Gar was about 6 years ago through a friend of mine. He had studied in Chicago a few years before leaving. From his experiences he has been able to give me an insight into this system and help me to compare it to my own (Chow Gar). Se lets get started. What I noticed right away was the stance difference. The Chu Gar was much more closed with the toes of the right foot pointing almost perpendicular to the toes of the left. Basically the feet made almost at a 90 degree angle. The Chow Gar being much more open with the legs pointing in more of a forward direction. The steps that were taken were almost identicle, with the Chow Gar lifting the forward foot and knee not quite so far off the ground.

I also saw that while the I was taught to keep my torso mostly straight with shoulders dropped, my friend had been taught to completely bellow out his midsection making him almost appear to be some what hunched over. This he said was to help pack the hard chi down into the Dan Tien to better aid in explosive power. They would "suck in and then spit out" he would always say.

The arm postioning was mostly the same. Very mantis like with the hands outstretched awaiting for the person to come. "Beggars Hands" he called them, the same term used in Chow Gar.

The attiude was also very similiar. They move, you attack. Machine gun kung fu he called it. It was also very destructive focusing all of its strikes on Dim Mak points all over the body. The pheonix eye was used extensively just as in the Chow Gar. The kicks were kept low and often combined with hand techniques. And just like the Chow Gar, he like to get around the back so as to reach the vital spots with a wirlwind of strikes. Many things were very similiar such as short range strikes and hand positioning. However, one big difference that I noticed was the training exercises. There is an exercise in Chow Gar calle "Chy Sao" or grinding arm. It is used to help the practitioner develop "Gen" or shock power. This excersise was totally foreign to him and we could both only assume that it was a Chow Gar specialty. They instead prefered to do more sensivity traing. Both sticky hands and sticky legs. He never showed much of this out of respect for his teacher's wishes. We only dicussed the differnces. This is not to say that the Chow Gar does not have simliar excersices for sensitivity traing. It only means that things were a little different. It appears that while both systems are powerful, the Chow Gar spends more time with the power training aspect while the Chu Gar spent more time on sensitivity. This however is not to say that an individual could not in his or her own time concentrate contrary to this. It is merely that way that we were taught.

One last thing that stuck out in my mind was the lack of a particular technique called "Gow Choy". Gow Choy is a Chow Gar favorite and is extensivily trained. It is one of the more used and more powerfull techniques in the Chow Gar. It is a little like a Hammer Hand with a pheonix eye sticking out. Both my Chu Gar friend and I have found it to be a great technique which can be trained to an incredible degree. Over all it was apparent that these two systems had a lot in common. And yes, while some thhings may have differed like stance and what not, that is not to say that one is better than the other. Every person is entitled to do things the way that works best for them. Of course there were many more differences and similarities than I listed but that is to be expected. All that I can really say is that properly trained either of the two could be very effective in self deffence situaions.

And just one more thing before I go that I hope that all those who read this will understand. I know that ther is a lot of talk about who originated the system and who did this and who did that. I also know that having recently returned from my training in England that I am kind of the new mantis on the block. So let me just state this now so as not to have to repeat myslelf later on several times: I don't care who originated what way back when I was not even being close to being born. Please don't write or call to argue about history....it really doesn't matter. I am here to promote good Chow Gar in the states. And I am happy to have any practitioner of the martial arts regardless of familly style to be my friend, and not my enemy. All I care about is traing and passing along what has been so graciously given to me. I hope that if you're reading this you'd like to do the same. Time spent arguing is time lost on training the soul. And with that I wish you all good health and happy training. I hope that you have enjoyed my brief comparisson of my experience with Chow and Chu Gar.

I like to give thanks to my Master Paul Whitrod (U.K.) for having taught, and still teaching me, the Chow Gar Southern Praying Mantis system.
http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/chowgar/chugar.html

ged
08-13-2001, 10:38 AM
thankyou very much for that information, i enjoyed reading it.

i have a question, do you think you could help me out?

the style im learning is similar to chow gar. im at an early stage, but i kind of have a choice between 2 faceups - praying mantis faceup or centreline. we are taught both.

in your experience, which is more effective for streetfights? i asked this question of an instructor, but i think he was reluctant to give me an answer, thinking that i would cease to train the other. fair enough.... but if you have any tips, i would greatly appreciate them.

thanks once more for the post.

David
08-13-2001, 12:11 PM
Good article by Matt there. I hadn't seen it before.

What's a faceup, Ged? Do you mean the thing about either facing straight ahead or off towards the lead leg?

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

ged
08-13-2001, 12:24 PM
hey

um i use stance to describe legs, and faceup to describe position of hands.

sorry, should of made that more clear.

the reason is, we have a few different foot positions, which can be combined with either centreline faceup (elbows down, arms on centreline ie wing chun (i think)) or mantis faceup (elbows down, but arms and hands to the side, approximately to outside of opponent's fists)

i find centreline easier to block roundhouses, but against jabs and straight punches i have trouble. mantis works great for me against anything coming up the centre (between hands) and ok against big roundhouses, but against punches with slight curvature (which i think is perhaps the most common untrained punch, at least with my friends), the punch usually comes in on my hand, my mind cant decide whether to come in then snap back out, or out and deflect the arm inwards.

:) clearer now?

David
08-13-2001, 04:40 PM
I assume your starting position is a beggars hand which, in an off-to-the-side pose gives you a leading hand (the hand on the same side as the leading foot). I also assume the hand receiving the "slightly curvy punch" is the rear hand. If that's the case, thrust forwards with your rear hand so the outside of your forearm is now inside his forearm. This stops the punch. Either continue to claw the bicep if you're fast enough or, now that your hand is clear, jerk back in sok sao as he tries to withdraw his fist. Your other arm could take advantage of this by hammer fist or pheonix eye to the other side of his head or collar.

Is that the kind of thing you're after?

-- Hong Kong Phooey

fiercest tiger
08-14-2001, 12:41 AM
there is really no ready stance position in kung fu, only if you have been challenge and you know that he is gonna fight you, you can put up a guard! but most tsreet encounters happen as attacks, king hits, knife in the stomach, car jacking etc. since when can you put up your ready guard? your guard is your attack to his responce, good martial artist will see your guard and have a counter for it straight away!! even if you think you are setting him up. your hands should be moving constantly giving openings and then closing them off, opening a certain gate so you can open or close his centerline in a beat of 1. never stand ready, in a position i believe it could get you hurt i think... :)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

ged
08-14-2001, 03:01 AM
thanks

david - actually, both our hands are in line with each other, shoulders are just about facing forward, so the hands are level.... im guessing thats a difference between my style and most southern mantis, but i cant explain why its like this... actually i might ask tonight, im interested now.

so, youve described bring my left hand in and striking (or placing) outwards for these slightly curvy punches. if the incoming right is a straight punch, will my position be good enough to still deflect it?
ill try that out tonight too i think. it would definitely make my options easier, if i was definitely going to come in then back out.

fiercest tiger - thanks for that. i was considering, if im in a confrontation, holding my hand up and out in a 'no man, i dont wanna fight' kind of gesture, as that would be similar to the mantis faceup.

fiercest tiger
08-14-2001, 03:49 AM
i usually talk with my hands, rather then have a guard. i have done lots of door work and i wouldnt stand there with my guard, hands are up fingers opened as talking with them. then anytime a hammer can fly out and take your head off..hahaha

who is your sifu and where do you train??

peace

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com :)

ged
08-14-2001, 04:43 AM
my sifu is tony conley, i train at stafford, brisbane. i think that my sifu has had a lot to do with Chow Gar Tong Long, but i havent figured out a polite way to ask...... 'so, dude, like, whered u train n ****?'

seriously, while on this subject, im never quite sure how to phrase questions without being disrespectful. 'i was wondering, does liin waan sarm sao have any similarities with chow gar tong long?'

i guess thatd be ok.... ill try tonite

David
08-14-2001, 11:25 AM
The only way to discuss stuff like this is with a video conference :rolleyes: unless you're going to describe the exact nature of both guys stances from the ground up.

So I hope you sort it out in class
;)

-- Hong Kong Phooey

ged
08-17-2001, 06:07 AM
ive got a bit of time on my hands, so ill post my di-si heng's response.

as soon as i demonstrated what i meant, he told me that i had the completely wrong idea.... the mantis hands shouldnt be a rigid structure that doesnt move until the punch reaches - that when the fake left jab reaches me, i should be reaching for the opponent with my free (left) hand. then, if he does throw a right, i only have to wait till the arms gone past my left, and its a lot easier to either deflect it across, or strike outwards to hit it.

at least i think thats what he said.... he didnt really demonstrate it. but ill give it a go.

thanks for all your help guys.