PDA

View Full Version : How do I breathe properly?

l@zylee
08-06-2002, 05:27 AM
Hey guys,

I am a complete beginner to Qi-Gong and I am struggling with breathing, i would appreciate it if anyone could tell me excatly how to breath and relax properly, i do have a history of anxiety and panic attacks that im sure i can feel coming back but I'm adament i wont let it get me this time, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Repulsive Monkey
08-06-2002, 05:55 AM
ASt the bgining of your study in Qi-Gong any teacher who tries do get you to breathe in a lkess than natural way is not worth their weight in gold. Do not try to do anything with your breath except be natural. There too much else to cultivate before you start adding the breathing element into the equation, so don't worry about breathing methodology, becasue it won't be of any use until you learn how to be sunk in your body and will probably, in fact, create problems. Don't concentrate on your breathing yet, concentrate on posture and alignment and on the life long journey of learning how to relax the body properly. In time when the body is relaxed enough and the upper part of the body is loose and sunk you will then be able to add in the element of breathing, but it is usually innappropriate to teach breathing methods too early on.

Serpent
08-06-2002, 08:59 PM
However, as a basic guideline, you should always breathe deeply down into your stomach, not just in the chest. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, gently, don't force it.

Try it lying down. Put your hand on your stomach and your other hand on your chest. Feel your stomach rise as you breathe in and fall as you breathe out.

Relax.

The rest will come as you learn more.

Cody
08-07-2002, 11:46 AM
Advice given by both Serpent and Repulsive Monkey is at once on the level and kind.
It takes time. In your own time. With practice, you will find that the breath will automatically sink as the posture is aligned and and the sinking of body/energy occurs.

Natural breathing has been called baby breathing by some. Watch a little one breathe, peacefully into the tummy. Think of feeling like that naturally. Given what you describe, it is especially necessary for you to feel secure in your environment and with your instructor(s). This is a way for you to find a safe place in your heart, the nature of which is for you to determine. For me, it is where everything is still.

Fear and grief can block breath and energies. This has a cumulative effect. The blockage causes more anxiety. This can occur from trying to regulate the breath too early, as well as from other causes. Your determination will be put to good use immediately in consistent practice to discover and maintain your individual postural alignment and balance.

It's worth the effort!

Cody