PDA

View Full Version : Wang Hai Jun Boston Workshop

Walter Joyce
08-06-2002, 01:22 PM
Wang Hai Jun, an indoor student of Chen Zheng Lei and winner of more than 30 regional titles in Chen Tai Chi, will hold a 2.5 hour worksshop on silk reeling and push hands.

The date is August 14, 2002, 6:30 - 9:00
The location is the Sports club LA Boston, 4 Avery Street in the Ritz Residential Towers, facing Boston Common.
Cost is $50.

For more info on Wang Hai Jun go to:
http://members.optushome.com.au/taichime/homepage10.htm

To contact me email me at wtjoyce45@hotmail.com.

Regards, Walter

Walter Joyce
08-09-2002, 07:14 AM
This seminar is a definite, email or pm is interested.

jun_erh
08-10-2002, 01:38 PM
is this mainly for advanced students? I don't know anything much tai chi but live in the area

Kumkuat
08-10-2002, 09:13 PM
For most seminars, I tend to say that beginners should not go. I mean, all they're gonna do is spend $100+ for some arm waving. I think seminars are worth it if you have some idea on what to do.

Walter Joyce
08-12-2002, 08:01 AM
The cost of the workshop is $50, not $100 or more.

The workshop is open to anyone interested.

The purpose of the workshop is to teach how to properly do silkreeling. When done imporperly this is armwaving.

I am not a chen stylist, but I am interested in silk reeling because it is a basic jin that cuts across internal styles. (See Kenneth Fish's opost on emptyflower.)

Not everyone sees the benefits of workshops, the decision is ultimately yours.

Kumkuat
08-12-2002, 04:51 PM
Right, i mean if there are a lot of people, many people won't get the necessary, hands-on corrections. You have to know what he's talking about to at least do it somewhat correctly. And most seminars I know costs 100+ dollars. So that's why I said that sum.

Isn't the basic jin peng jin? Of course, some people say peng jin is silk reeling jin. Or at least it's derived from it.

Walter Joyce
08-13-2002, 06:21 AM
Note I said a basic jin, not the basic jin. And yes, it is derived from peng.
Peng jin is the central jin as I understand it as well, all others derived from it. By all others I mean Jee, Lui and Ahn, as in Peng, Jee, Lui, Ahn. (Sp?)

Walter Joyce
08-14-2002, 06:26 AM
For any and all interested, tonight is the night, 6:30 - 9:00, 4 Avery street, Boston, Sports Club LA, 2nd floor.
Regards,
Walter

Jim Roselando
08-15-2002, 06:40 AM
Hello,

I attended the WHJ seminar last night and wanted to relay some thoughts!

WHJ was a very good Tai Chi man. Probally one of the best I have witnessed. His form and ability to teach were both signs of his deep understanding of his art and the quality of instruction he recieved. Especially considering how young he is which tells me he has worked very hard to achieve his level of skill. This was my first exposure to a real Chen family insider and thought the art was excellent. Unfortunately, I had to leave early but the time I spent there was valuable and I hope to see WHJ sifu again in the future.

Thank you for bringing him to Boston!

:D

Regards,

Walter Joyce
08-15-2002, 07:07 AM
Jim,
You're welcome, thank you for coming. I have only seen 4 people with his level of skills in over 23 years of training(btw, one of them was an "external" stylist). Seeing someone who can "walk the walk" in any internal art only strengthens my commitment to training.
My thanks To Wang Hei Jun for sharing his knowledge with us, and to Stan Baker and Mark for calling me to set up the Boston workshop.
Regards,
Walter

Walter Joyce
08-16-2002, 09:27 AM
Here is my report on the workshop.

It went well. There were only about 18 in attendance, so it was up close and personal.
Wang Hei Jun is the main disciple of Chen Zhu Lei, one of the four tigers of Chen village. Although he is only 30 years old, he is obviously very skilled.

I am not (as of yet at least) a chen taiji player, so it was a good introduction for me. The format was like a 2 and 1/2 hour introduction to the style.

Hei Jun speaks only mandarin, so he had a translator with him. The format used was an introduction to the history of the style, and an explanation of the form he demonstrated, lao jia, or the old frame, which is the first form taught in his approach. And then he took the group through a series of basic training methods.

As the evening progressed he lead the group through silk reeling single hand to the left, then to the right, then silk reeling with both hands, which is also known as cloud hands. Every section he explained first in detail what the purpose of the exercise was, demonstrated, did it with the group, and then went around as we practiced making corrections.

Next after a brief break, he lead us through push hands, single hand, and double hand, two lines facing each other, one line rotating after a brief time. He also participated, so if you were in the right line, you got to push with him as well.

After that he explained the four (or five, somewhat unclear) stages of push hands, demonstrating each with Stan, who sponsored his visit to the US, I believe this is the 5 time. He then took questions.

The last question asked was to the effect of, "can you show us how this stuff works?" He explained that he didn't want to hurt anyone, and said that he would work with the most experienced person there briefly. I got the shortest straw.

He demonstrated two techniques, or methods on me, at an inclose fighting range. The first was a shoulder strike, which was not apparent to the group, as all they saw was Hei Jun moving very qucikly, and then me moving into and then away from him. He literally bounced me off his shoulder, thankfully with control. I explained to the group that it was in fact shoulder strike. His movement and control of me was very sudden, and unlke external movement, as if I was just moved. I'm sure he had his hands on me somewhere, but it was impressive.

Next, as best I can tell, he demonstrated a repelling movement. I'm guessing that he pulled me in briefly to break my balance, as the next thing I kew I was flying back off a person behind me and into the wall, very cool.

Getting up close to him gave me a glimpse of his power and ease of movement. Only when I worked briefly with Luo De Xiu have I ever experienced true neijia skills at a high level of development and ease of application.

What I took away from the evening was a renewed commitment to strictly neijia methods of training. Like most of us here, I have run into many who talk the talk, but have only seen two people in person who have walked the walk. Wang Hei Jun has the goods.

Although I may never get there, I'd rather spend my training time working towards skills like those possessed by Wang Hei jun and Luo De Xiu with methods that are designed to achieve that end.

Thats all folks,
Walter

p.s. For those in Massachusetts, Wang Hei Jun will be continuing his workshop series through the weekend, Saturday and sunday all day at Mt. holyoke College.

NatGun
08-21-2002, 12:27 AM
hey walter, where do you train? im still trying to make up my decision on a good school in boston. i have been looking into Dr. Yang jwing-mings school www.ymaa.com in forest hills. any thoughts?

Walter Joyce
08-21-2002, 06:49 AM
NatGun,
Please check your private messages.
Walter