PDA

View Full Version : 18 Lohan Hand Movements

Viper555
08-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Could someone tell me how to do these,the applications behind them and anything else you know about them? I would appreciate it very much.

African Tiger
08-06-2002, 06:17 PM
This is a tough one around here, Viper. You might want to try Mew Hings' website. I believe it's 18taoistpalms.com, but don't quote me.

Try a google search on 18 Taoist Palms, and I'm sure you will come up with a few links.

Royal Dragon
08-06-2002, 06:43 PM
The Mantis guys have a set that is a mix of Chi Kng and holdng postures.

I think though that the original 18 Louhan hands was developed shortly after the funding ofr Shaolin Kung Fu and is based on the Yi Jin Jing and Su Xue Jing taught by Ta Mo if it wasn't developed by Ta Mo himself.

From what I have seen, it's basically a string of holding postures done in sequance.

Look at the martialartsmart.com banner above, and click on any link that looks like Chi Kung. There is a video by Temple Knights somewhere on the site that teaches the set. Anyone with a foundation in Shaolin Kung Fu should be able to learn it off the video.

My question is this, is that video the original set?? And is it the same thing as the Famous Shaolin 18 Louhan hands, or is it just a modern Chi Kung exercise bearing the same name?

The way I understand it, Su Xue Jing and Yi Jin Jing lead to 18 Louhan Hands which lead to the 5 Animals Chi Kung which lead to others.

Royal Dragon
08-06-2002, 06:49 PM
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/pr-tp004.html

Gene, do I get a commision?

And why haven't the martialartsmart.com guys gotten back to me about my web store?

Viper555
08-07-2002, 03:28 PM
Yes, sil lum kung fu was developed from these and that's why i'm trying to learn them. I was taking sil lum kung fu before my parents took me out because of.....attitude problems.All I had left to learn where those and the other half of the crane form and I would have been ready for my yellow belt. :(

FRANK SEXTON
08-08-2002, 08:58 AM
Those of us that were lucky and chosen by him were taught the original movements by John Ng. John was taken to the temples when he was 4 years old.
Don't concentrate on these movements, be yourself with what you have. Movement s does not make the man the man makes the movements.

Royal Dragon
08-08-2002, 09:25 AM
I have a large library of video and books. Not to mention form and movement I have been taught over the years.

I only practice a small fraction of it, but I still like to collect it in documented form.

Seeing as how you know the set, can you describe it for me?

GeneChing
08-08-2002, 10:00 AM
There was an article on Shaolin Lohan in our NOV/DEC 98 - http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=87 - unfortunately it is offline at our webstore at this time. I'm not sure why, since I believe it is still in stock.

RD: I'm not sure what you are asking - did you ask to carry merchandise or did you want to be an affiliate drop shipper? Carrying merchandise should be no problem, just set up an account and order. As for affiliates, try this link - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/howtobecaf.html - and thanks for the plug. I only give commission perks to those who don't ask ;)

Royal Dragon
08-08-2002, 10:12 AM
Hello,
Yes, it's the affilates program. I want a martial supply store on my site, and have followed the procedure to get a store on my site a few times, and no response.

As for the 18 Louhan hands, with your connections, can you convince the Monks to do a video on the orginal set?

I have seen a few different explanations as to what it actually is. A video on the subject direct from the source would be very helpful. Heck if you can get them to do a video on all the major Shaolin Chi Kung sets that would be cool too!!

GeneChing
08-09-2002, 10:32 AM
You know, to be perfectly honest, I have no idea how the affliates program works in terms of approval. It's another department. In fact, most all of MartialArtsMart.com is another department. Perhaps you can shoot an email to sales@martialartsmart.com, and ask for Manny.

As for a video on the 18 Lohans, my monk master Shi Decheng actually did two videos on the 18 Jibengong (which is often confused with 18 Lohans.) One was Austrain and the other was French. He showed breakdowns and applications, but neither is available in the states anymore. Songshan Shaolin has more emphasis on these and the other lohan sets than the 18 lohans itself. In fact, the only version of an 18 Lohan set that I've seen is the one that Shawn Liu published in the magazine that I listed above.

BTW, anyone here anything from Shawn recently?

Maboroshi
08-09-2002, 08:07 PM
I wonder if there are VCD or DVDs, as it seems to be tapes. I dont have much use for my VCR anymore. and I like it that way.

All good MA tapes get worn out really quickly.

JAZA
08-09-2002, 08:08 PM
Choy Lee Fut family lineage have a Sup Baat Lohan Kuen, it comes from Choy Fook, a shaolin monk who teachs Chan Heung.
You can find info here Link (http://www.tai-chi-centre.com/shopping.htm) .