PDA

View Full Version : lol @ a personal trainer at my gym

Ford Prefect
08-08-2002, 07:08 AM
So here I am in the stretching room loosening up after a leg workout when a personal trainer/gym yoga guru says "how are those knees" while he walking past me. I have two knee braces on because my left knee was dislocated a while back and I royally screwed up my right knee doing hindu squats. So I say they are fine and the braces are because of old injuries. He then proceeds to tell me that the stance I was just in was horrible for my knees and I'd just damage them further. For the record, the stance was the bow stance/mountain climbers stance which is in every style of martial arts I've ever heard of. I just shrug and say "Different strokes". He then goes on to say that I'm wrong and the human body is a very specific thing and that my knees will get destroyed doing that and that I need to seek out a competant Yoga instructor. I nod and thank him, and he takes off.

I have nothing personal against the guy, I just think it's funny that people eat up everything they are told or read as if it's scientific law.

Brian_CA
08-08-2002, 08:05 AM
Sounds like he was not very knowledgable in his field. I would agree that you sould find a GOOD yoga instructor. But it sounds like he is not the one!

Brian
San Francisco, CA

IronFist
08-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
and I royally screwed up my right knee doing hindu squats.

Eh? How did this happen? I know a lot of people that do this exercise... did you do something wrong, or do you think it was the exercise that caused the injury?

Hey guohuen, good recovery from your injury :)

IronFist

inic
08-08-2002, 01:16 PM
whats bow an arrow? the stance... i already train in archery =P

Ford Prefect
08-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Iron,

I dunno. I used to at the very least 500 per day. I know it's not much, but I did do this for about 6 months combined with wind sprints, other BWE, etc. I was in the best cardio/endurance shape of my life during this period. One day I was doing them and I felt a little twinge in my knee. As the day progressed my knee hurt more and more. I laid off them for a while, but the very next time I try to some, my knee bugs out again. This time I'm sidelined from everything including MA for a couple months. Being stubborn, I tried to do them two more times (once last april) and both times again had me sidelined and in pain for quite some time. It's not like I jumped right into them and hurt myself. I was handling a fairly large volume with ease by the time I sustained this injury. I've heard other people have had similar experiences. It's a great exercise, but it is most definately not for everybody.

NomortaL
08-09-2002, 06:01 AM
Bow & Arrow stance is almost the equivalent of the Front stance except for some minor differences.

08-09-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Iron,

I dunno. I used to at the very least 500 per day. I know it's not much, but I did do this for about 6 months combined with wind sprints, other BWE, etc. .................................................. ...........................One day I was doing them and I felt a little twinge in my knee. As the day progressed my knee hurt more and more. I laid off them for a while, but the very next time I try to some, my knee bugs out again. .

I might be lightweight but I would say that 500 Hindu Squats a day is too much and I'm surprised you lasted 6 months.

Ford Prefect
08-09-2002, 07:44 AM
Sorry. Didn't mean to mislead. It was 3-4x week (ie per workout day). I know people who do more than that and have been for quite some time.

IronFist
08-09-2002, 09:37 PM
Dude 500 is a lot. I don't know why someone shouldn't be able to do that many every day tho. I mean, as long as you build up to it or whatever.

I've heard of people doing 1000's a few times a week.

I know this is a stupid question, but did you do them in front of a mirror? Are you sure your form was correct?

I dunno. Just wondering.

IronFist

PLCrane
08-10-2002, 06:58 AM
FP,

What part of your knee hurt when you did the squats? If it was in the front of the knee (actually, the quadriceps tendon) then it was probably from overuse. If it was along the joint line medial to the tendon, it was probably from twisting the knee. Any time you bend a weighted knee, your knee should point the same direction as your foot. The most common problem is to let it twist inward.

PLC