PDA

View Full Version : Chen style clarification.

Shadow Dragon
08-08-2002, 04:16 PM
Hi.

I need some help with the Chen style of taijiquan.

What are the differences between these styles/sets:
1.) Lao Da Jia (Large Frame)
2.) Xin Jia (New Frame)
3.) Xiao Jia (Small Frame)

I heard that Xiao Jia apparently was derived from Xin Jia, but not sure.

Is Xiao Jia also refered to as ZhaoBao Tai Chi CHuan.

Very little info about this style out there, and I won't be able to ask Chen Peishan as he currently is giving a Seminar in the States and my Video has not arrived yet. :(

Peace.

Shadow Dragon
08-08-2002, 04:45 PM
Thanks, for the Link.

But againa s normal very little Info actually available about the differences:

Xiao Jia was created by 14th generation Master Chen You Ben, in roughly the same period that Chen Chang Xin was formulating the Lao Jia frame. At the time, it was referred to as "Xin Jia" (new frame) to differentiate it from Lao Jia. It is now known in Chen village as Xiao Jia (small frame).

Chen You Pen was said to have eliminated some difficult movements, such as leaping and fa-jing, and retained the "scale" of the original boxing forms of Chen Wang Ting.
The Yi Lu form
The Yi Lu form consists of 74 postures.

Peace.

Shadow Dragon
08-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Adding this following bit, makes it really confusing:

In the latter part of the Eighteenth century, a fifth generation descendant of Chen Wang Ting, Chen You Ben simplified the original forms into sets which have come to be known as the "New Style" (Xin Jia). Chen You Ben's nephew, Chen Ching Ping, created a variation of the New Style which is known as the "Small Frame" (Xiao Jia) or "Zhao Bao" form. All of these styles have survived to the present.

Aaargh, my Head hurts.

Peace.

Shadow Dragon
08-08-2002, 05:30 PM
And of course this:

Zhaobao Jia

A disciple of Chen You Pen, Chen Qing Ping, modified the Xiao Jia form further. He had married and moved to the nearby village of Zhaobaozhen. Chen Xin notes that he there taught boxing. (Chen Qing Ping is noted as having studied under other teachers than those in Chenjiagou, among them a teacher from Zhaobao. Zhaobao lineage records trace this teacher back to Jiang Fa, a contemporary of Chen Wang Ting, as well as to Wang Tsung Yeuh.) The boxing practiced in this village became known as Zhaobao style. Currently there is an effort on the part of its' practitioners to disassociate this form from the mainstream of Chen style. However, the postures of the styles are so similar to other Chen family routines as to render this claim highly suspect. There are 10 existing lineages of Zhaobao Taiji on the mainland:

He Zhaoyuan
Li Jing Yuan
Zhang Han
Li Zhuo Zuo
Niu Fa Hu
Ren Chang Chun
Chen Jun
Zhang Wen
Zhang Chin Mei
Wu Yu Hsiang

Peace.