PDA

View Full Version : ATTN fgxpanzerz

Bak Mei
08-19-2001, 04:55 PM
What you say of Master David Chan BOng is not true. If you found him to keeping material from you it is either he found you to be a very slow learning of bad skill or did not like your attitude.

As one of only two non-asian students at the school, I have to say he has been more that forthcoming with me, more so in fact than some of his asian students.

As for his skill, it needs no mention here. He is the best ... period. But do not mark the man's name of this bullitan board. Besides being a great teacher (it could be very difficult to pass on some of these principles, especially to inexperinced fighters)he is a good man.

I do not see a reason for poeple who do not posses a mere fraction of his skill to speak of him in any other regards but those of high esteem. He had put in his time, proved it and continues to prove it at 60 years old in combat -- Yes, I think he desrves it.

Stillness in the heart of motion.

fgxpanzerz
08-23-2001, 05:59 AM
Did u ever think to consider that you've been brain washed and that u dont really know wut goes on behind closed doors. From the way u talk about yor sifu, it sounds to me like yor sucking his **** for him after class. I dont like to pry so we'll stay off that subject for now. My point iz that this iz only a message board and u shouldnt get all self-righteous about everything. CHill out. U cant think Chan Bong iz the best because... u dont know every other fighter in the whole world! SAying he's the best iz being very narrow minded.

David
08-23-2001, 06:00 PM
Uh oh, Fgxpanzerz doesn't believe we exist :eek: We live in his imaginary world.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

Bak Mei
08-28-2001, 09:29 PM
OK fgxpanzerz, so you know where I am coming from and my experince:

Began training at 4 in Isshin-Ryu. Broke first board at 8, first brick at 10. Continued in Isshin Ryu to HS, stopping to play Football and then one year of college ball then back to it.

Studied Hung Gar under Frank Yee and Mantis under Milton Chin's disciple who also studied with Gin Foon Mark. Also have a little Wing Chun.

Now, I am not into forms though I now the entire Isshin-Ryu system and most of Hung Gar. I like to fight, and that's how what Mantis I know was passed on to me. I like the real deal -- no bull.

With that said, 95% of what I see out there is all bull. My level of respect for Master Chan Bong is where it is because he deserves it. After 24 years of MA studies he IS the best THAT I HAVE SEEN. I have seen quite a lot.

I seriously doubt that you would speak this way to Master Chan. I can not speak for him or his more senior students, but, message board or not, I will not tolerate someone bad mouthing a)a true master that I am certain is light years ahead of your understanding of MA, b) a true gentleman and c) my sifu.

Like I said I am one of his newest students and can not speak for my master of his senior students, just myself: Maybe we can get together and trade hands. I only know a mere fraction, practically nothing of Master Chan's theories, but already he has improved my fighting and they way I view it tremedously. I am grateful for the foundation that I have, I am hoping this man can build my talent to the sky.

Please, if you had a bad experience at this man's school truly stop and ask yourself why. I can not think of a more highly respected Sifu in the NY area or in the US. He is low key, but to those in the know ...

So, please, have a nice day. I truly meen that. Just if you do not have soemthing nice to say about a tremendously talented, sincerely nice man, then why not just say nothing at all. Your attitude could prevent other sincere and open hearted students from missing the opportunity of a lifetime by being turned off of training with a geneous because of your remarks.

Hungmei
08-28-2001, 10:16 PM
Would you mind stating the years you were with Frank Yee? If you don't feel like stating the exact years, the decade will suffice.

Would you mind naming the former disciple of Milton Chin who also studied under Mark Foon? Did he go from Milton Chin to Mark Foon or the other way around?

Did you ever run across Johnny Lee (Wing Chun) while studying in NYC?

If you don't feel like answering any of the questions above that's okay. John

Bak Mei
08-28-2001, 10:54 PM
My mantis teacher, the last one I had before studying with Master Chan Bong, was sifu Mark Manganiello. He still studies with Mr. Chin. He has some unique ways of fighting. Very practical. A lot of shortened elements, open palm strikes and front wieghter footwork for power. Of coarse that has changed studying the internal.

The last I spoke to him he is thinking of opening a school on the Nassau/Queens border area because his brother, who studied with Frank Yee and were some of my Hung Gar is from teaches on Long Island. I was learning Hung Gar in the late 90's.

I like the style. Do you know sifu Yee? I tried to get a few friends to study with one of his students -- Sifu Pedro -- in New Jersey. Does that school still exist. I was out of town for Chinese New Years this year but enjoyed their lion dance last year.

DF
08-29-2001, 05:47 AM
Hi there, I read that you had trained under my sifu, Frank Yee in the late 90's. However my sifu had stopped accepting student in USA since he went back to China since 1995. Were you part of the old Grand Street school ?

Also Pedro still teaches in NJ for your info.

peace

DF

Bak Mei
08-29-2001, 04:42 PM
I trained with one of his early disciples, Sifu Mike Manganiello in East Meadow. His school is still there. Also, isn't your sifu back from China? I could have sworn I saw him at the Hung Gar tournament 2 years ago and in China towne during New Years acccepting a head of lettuce during a line dance. It was a nice performnace. The lion dancers were stacked and on top of a pole reaching up to his balcony.

Anyway, I should specify that my Hung Gar comes from "under" Sifu Yee (from his disciple) and not the man himself. I liked Hung Gar. I like the power it generates.

Anyway, that's behind me now. Sorry for any confusion. The reason I posted was to clear up any misconceptions with my present sifu, Master Chan Bong. I study with him directly. Very pleased.

Anyway, sifu Frank Yee doesn't teach anymore? I see his adds in the Village Voice still. Who teaches those classes? Is sifu Pedro considered one of his most senior?

sllor
08-29-2001, 05:01 PM
I will not tolerate someone bad mouthing a)a true master that I am certain is light years ahead of your understanding of MA, b) a true gentleman and c) my sifu.

In what way would you not tolerate it if for example i said your sifu was the worst martial arts practitioner i've ever seen

DF
08-29-2001, 05:06 PM
Thank you for clearing it up, no big deal really. Just thought I might know who you are. Sifu does come back to the State from time to time, but he lives in China most of the year.

Mike did study with Sifu in the past. He also studied with several other sifus as well and does not teach under the Yee's lineage. At the end of the day, it is not that important but for record, we have to make that clear. We have to maintain some type of control among all the Yee's branches.

As for who teaches where in the Yee's branches, you can find the info on our website.

Thks

Dixon

Bak Mei
08-29-2001, 08:31 PM
I liked Hung Gar, I wanted to get some friends who live in Newark to study with Sifu Pedro. They never followed through.

As for keeping lineage clean, I hear and respect that 100%. Actually, think Sifu Mike had a few arguments with some of his past Sifu and has zero relations with them. I never got details nor wanted them -- I just wanted to train. I couldn't imagine not having good relations with a sifu and this is part of why I left.

Now, I'm 100% into training with Master Chan Bong. I still train a lot of the Hung Gar elements, especially earth, I like that to tear down a defense, but wouldn't consider myself a Hung Gar player; I never spent sufficient time with the style.

Well, nice meeting you. Perhaps if we run across each other here near New Years we can meet up in China. Have a great day.

Bak Mei
08-29-2001, 09:06 PM
Well, making a stement like that over the Web I have no choice but to tolerate it, though blanket statement made in cyber-space mean very little to me.

I checked your other post to detrmine your level of understanding and came up black (not enough info). Your only post regrading technique was that one should not kick high while in the rain. Well, that doesn't say much. I knew that when I was 7. So, as for your level, who knows?

You obviously do not know my sifu, that I know. But, I wouldn't tolerate that comment in person. Not in a di(k head way though. I would suggest if you felt that way that I would like to test your gung fu to see where it is at. Maybe you are better than me. I don;t know. But, being one never to walk away from a situation like that, and, being generally very comfident in my abilities, I would have to take you up. If you beat me, you beat me. Doesn't affect a thing because I've only been with my sifu for a few months. But if, and I say if because I don't know your skill, I beat the living out of you, then I would say you look pretty **** silly getting your a$$ kicked by a 6 month student of a man you dissed. So that's how I wouldn't tolerate it in person. But since its the Web, and I know my level of training, and my sifu's level is not fully comprehensible to me now because it is so much higher than mine there's nothing to do.

I will not respond to any more such posts. My sifu does not need to be defended. At 60 years old he succesfully faces challenges monthly. It's amazing to me. I know 60 year old who are halway in the earth already and this guy is beating the out of 30 year olds.
Give me three years with this man and then maybe you could get a better taste of his knowledge through me. I do not understand the lack of respect on this board. Embarassing as human being, let alone martial artists. Guess I just have too high a standard.

Hungmei
08-29-2001, 10:06 PM
Some of the names are known to me.

The reason I asked the time frame of studying with Frank Yee was to get a better feel for the background that drove some of your comments regarding Bak Mei.

I don't know Frank personally and have never had any problems with either him or his students.

I am friends with the Hung Gar Sifu who gave Frank the HK sets as held by Chun Hon Chung. They were long incorporated into Frank's teaching by the time you were there.

HG is an excellent system that requires no word play to justify or verify. The method has stood the test of time.

I find it interesting to note that many, if not most, of the JL SPM practitioners I know come from a HG background. Seems to be a reasonable and logical progression, although HG has more than enough depth to last 4 life times. Therefore, the progression is more a matter of personal preference than anything else. HG is a far more brutal and destructive system than most people, including those who should know better, realize. John

DF
08-29-2001, 11:05 PM
Just want to clarify something you said:

I am friends with the Hung Gar Sifu who gave Frank the HK sets as held by Chun Hon Chung. They were long incorporated into Frank's teaching by the time you were there.

Are we speaking of the same Frank Yee ?

Sifu learned from sigung Yuen Ling who was a disciple of Tang Fong. Master Chun Hon Chung was of the Lam Sai Wing lineage. Even though we are all from Master Wong Fai Hong but the line is different. If indeed you are talking about my sifu, can you tell me who this Hung Ga sifu is.

Thks

Dixon Fung

Hungmei
08-29-2001, 11:57 PM
>Sifu learned from sigung Yuen Ling who was a disciple of Tang Fong. Master Chun Hon Chung was of the Lam Sai Wing lineage.

I'm well aware of that, thanks.

>Even though we are all from Master Wong Fai Hong but the line is different.

True, but the seeds are the same.

>If indeed you are talking about my sifu, can you tell me who this Hung Ga sifu is.

Since Frank is your Sifu you can simply ask him yourself. Doubt there are any of the "old students" still around as I am working on memories from the 1975-76 time frame. As for identifying the HG Sifu the matter came up in private conversation and that’s where it’s going to remain. John

DF
08-30-2001, 12:13 AM
Thank you for the quick reply. As a matter of fact I did check with sifu before posting the question. Sifu is the one that is curious how this conversation comes about, since he said he never learned from anyone from the Chun Hong Chung lineage. He is curious where the source from. If you feel the name of this HG sifu should remain private since it was bought up in a private conversation, that is your right and we respect that.

I have been with sifu since the late 70's so you can say I am one of the old students that still around.

DF

Self-Thinking Follower
08-30-2001, 01:06 AM
I hope you guys dont mind me waiting to see what comes from this discussion. I am not a Hung ga or Jook Lum SPM practitioner but love to see what the US rep of another SPM line meant by this inuendo on HUNG GA, specifically Frank Yee's.

:D Unworthy Uncle STF

Hungmei
08-30-2001, 03:45 AM
>Thank you for the quick reply. As a matter of fact I did check with sifu before posting the question. Sifu is the one that is curious how this conversation comes about, since he said he never learned from anyone from the Chun Hong Chung lineage.

Okay, his art, his opinion prevails.

>He is curious where the source from. If you feel the name of this HG sifu should remain private since it was bought up in a private conversation, that is your right and we respect that.

Thank you most kindly, you are honorable people.

>I have been with sifu since the late 70's so you can say I am one of the old students that still around.

Fair enough, then you too know the answer. In my conversations with the individual previously noted I got the distinct impression that the additional catalog material was the HK branch.

I was accepted into the Hong Kong Chinese Martial Arts Association in '78 and from my conversations with other members it was my understanding that Chun Hon Chung's 10 empty hand set format was the standard.

Could very well have been an erroneous conclusion on my part with regard to the "flavor" of the sets provided to your teacher.

Doesn't really matter as it was quite a while ago and the only reason I asked the question was to get a feel for what Bak Mei could have experienced during his time with your Sifu.

Seems reasonable to me that if he was afforded the full depth of your Sifu's teaching then he wouldn't have categorically declared his current Bak Mei curriculum superior to that he experienced during his time in HG.

Not to say the guy wouldn't still have a pronounced preference for Bak Mei but it would have been expressed in terms of personal preference.

At any rate, since your Sifu has expressed a minor interest in this thread kindly pass along my respects and regards to him. There are only a few of his generation who haven’t closed their hands so your Sifu is to be cherished for the treasure that he is. John

fgxpanzerz
08-30-2001, 04:57 AM
Fighting doesnt solve anything. From your posts it sounds to me like you are very violent. By the way, what is your first name?

DF
08-30-2001, 06:11 AM
Hung Mei
Thank you for the reply. So I think we can consider the matter close.
We already expressed our position in this issue, no sense keep repeating ourselves.
If you ever in New York, look us up we can have tea. By the way if you are interested, we will love to have you at our tournament in late September.

Bak Mei

I also want to thank you for your clarification. Some of my friends had trained with your sifu Chan or along side with him. As you know Sifu Kenny Gong was a close friend of ours. It is comfort to know that his art is still going strong.

To the public

We like to thank those who have support us all thru the years. Some of you might wonder why we get very sensitive when the name of the Yee's or issue with the Tang Fong name is bought up. I want to take this opportunity to explain ourselve.

We run our schools the old way. We make very clear distinction between students and disciples.
Anyone is welcome to join our school and train hard. However unless you are a disciple that performed Bai Si, you cannot claim the Tang Fong lineage from us. The Bai Si is a very serious matter to us, it is a life time commitment with many responsibilities to the Tang Fong lineage and Yee's Hung Ga. Also we are a school that takes responsibilities for our words and actions.
That is the reason why Yee's Hung Ga members are restricted from making any public statement on any public forum or media. When we do, it will be from me and that will be the position of our school. Thus there should be no confusion on where we stand on issues.

Thank you for your time

Dixon Fung

Hungmei
08-30-2001, 12:07 PM
DF - Hung Mei. Thank you for the reply. So I think we can consider the matter close.

That’s my take on it.

>We already expressed our position in this issue, no sense keep repeating ourselves.

Agreed. IMO, it's Frank Yee's art and his opinions prevail with regard to any issue involving his art. Last time I checked “respect” is something that is extended as well as received.

>If you ever in New York, look us up we can have tea.

Thank you most kindly, I haven't been to the Hop Lee Rice Shop for many years (72 Bayard St., I think). I extend to you the same invitation to have tea (Although we don't really have a Chinatown, there is a Cantonese owned & operated place in my town).

>By the way if you are interested, we will love to have you at our tournament in late September.

I appreciate the offer. However, I divorced myself from the tournament scene a long time ago. Too much of a pain in the ass, and total waste of time-energy, to put together "for public consumption-display" stuff versus how the art really reflects. John

fgxpanzerz
08-31-2001, 05:58 PM
You and I have met before. haha. I'm not sure exactly who you are but I'm almost positive you know FAz. By the way, what do you think of Faz's fighting methods? There was a time when I studied with Mark Manganiello.

illusionfist
08-31-2001, 10:37 PM
Hungmei- by any chance do you know the names of those 10 hand forms that were supposed to be taught by Chan Hon Chung? The reason being is that i have not heard of a standard 10 hand forms that were taught by him.

Peace :D

Self-Thinking Follower
09-01-2001, 10:32 PM
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10.?

Hungmei
09-01-2001, 11:16 PM
>Hungmei- by any chance do you know the names of those 10 hand forms that were supposed to be taught by Chan Hon Chung?

I didn't say 'taught' by Chun Hon Chung, reread the post.

>The reason being is that i have not heard of a standard 10 hand forms that were taught by him.

See above. Hungmei

illusionfist
09-01-2001, 11:32 PM
"I am friends with the Hung Gar Sifu who gave Frank the HK sets as held by Chun Hon Chung"

"I was accepted into the Hong Kong Chinese Martial Arts Association in '78 and from my conversations with other members it was my understanding that Chun Hon Chung's 10 empty hand set format was the standard."

Gave, taught, whatever. If 10 hand sets were the "standard", i would assume they were taught, or facilitated in some way.

I am just curious cuz half of our lineage comes from CHC and we ourselves have not heard of a 10 empty hand set format.

Hungmei
09-02-2001, 01:30 AM
>Gave, taught, whatever.

Nope, there's a distinct difference, . . . whatever.

>If 10 hand sets were the "standard", i would assume they were taught, or facilitated in some way.

Fair enough, and true. Not my Pai, didn't and don't keep up with it, was citing from memory of conversations in the late 1970s run through the filter of translation.

>I am just curious cuz half of our lineage comes from CHC and we ourselves have not heard of a 10 empty hand set format.

Ask one of your Brothers from the time frame noted above. Odd that you are a split lineage Pai. John

illusionfist
09-02-2001, 01:50 AM
Hungmei- fair enough and thank you for your response.

[This message was edited by illusionfist on 09-02-01 at 05:03 PM.]

Hungmei
09-02-2001, 03:05 AM
Peace to you as well. Hungmei

Self-Thinking Follower
09-02-2001, 03:46 AM
DF and Illusion Fist your both better men cause I would not of let that go. I respect both of you and will leave this alone.

P.S. For those reading DF is the Dai Si Hing (Big Brother) of Frank Yee's school.

Bak Mei
09-03-2001, 06:50 PM
Sorry for any mix up again.

My chnaging from Hung Gar to the internal was not because I was unhappy with the system, more than enough in there for me: power, leverage, ect.

It was a matter of not being happy where my personal training was taking me, not enough combat (my Isshin-Ryu was heavily geared toward combat). I knew that if I wnated to taste real Hung Gar I would have to venture into Chinatown. There were a few personal problesm my sifu was having and the school chnaged. Time to leave. At thgis time an opportunity to learn from a true internal master, something I always wanted to do later in life, presented itself. KInd of when the students is ready sort of thing.

So my leaving was not based on Hung Gar, I never seen a fighting system I didn't like -- well, maybe TKD.

I'm just very content with where my training is heading me know. I started this post to adress a slander on my sifu and realise that it was a mistake. No need. Good teachers and lineages do not need to be defended -- they defend themselves.

---
On another point, I do not Faz. Many NY practitiners do. I like him a lot. I don't know anyone who trains harder than him; he has my respect. I know he has total respect for my sifu and we wish each other the best in our training.

I never put down any sifu. I may prefer not to train with one or the other, but putting one down accomplishes nothing.

I am not violent unless attacked. If my words seemed sharp it was because I was defending and that is my way. Sorry. No harm was intended by me. I was not the one that instigated this conversation.

Be well.

DF
09-03-2001, 07:20 PM
Thank you for the kind words and support.
There are time where miscommunication and misunderstanding might occur in life, it is my job to come in and to present our views on behalf of my Sifu. At the end of the day, how the public takes it, is up to them. We are happy doing what we are doing, and ,how people think, we have no control over.

Life is too short and too little time in the day to worry about all the nonconstructive matters.
You have to be happy in what you do. It doesnot really matter what style or school you train in, it is all up to you. As long as you are happy where you are at, thats half the battle.

Good luck

DF

Self-Thinking Follower
09-04-2001, 01:34 AM
True and Thank YOU!