PDA

View Full Version : Our 10 Year Anniversary Gala

GeneChing
07-29-2002, 12:47 PM
That's the banquet only. We are holding lots of free activities including an afternoon master's exhibition, simulcast of the evening masters demo at the sports bar in the hotel, and a public auction and raffle. If you got shut out of the Gala Banquet, come anyway. There will be lots of great kungfu going on - ALL FREE (but we take contributions ;)) Check out our special anniversary website for more info. http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/10yr/index.html

David Jamieson
07-29-2002, 01:10 PM
Hey! Congratulations you KFQGers.

Sounds like its gonna be a howl.
cheers!

Are there gonna be videos available online from the Masters Demos?

peace

GeneChing
07-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Yes, of course, videos. I'll let you know when they're available.

GeneChing
08-09-2002, 03:46 PM
Lou Reed bought a ticket and will be attending our Gala. He is s student of Chen Taiji under Ren Guangyi. We have discovered that many martial artists don't know who Lou Reed is. Just out of curiousity, who here knows?

rubthebuddha
08-09-2002, 03:50 PM
not quite sure, but he sounds kinda velvety. ;)

Chang Style Novice
08-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Liu Ri? Hmmmm...let me think. Ah, right. He's a master of the 5 Rock n Roll Animals style, isn't he? He's Legendary for his Heart, if I'm not mistaken, and as a Taoist he recognizes the intrinsic duality of Magic and Loss. I'd take a Walk on the Wild Side to check one of his seminars out, but I don't want to deal with the Street Hassle.

sean_stonehart
08-09-2002, 07:02 PM
... on the wildside, that is...

See if he can do the famous "Shoot a Hit of Horse" while on stage move still... that'll grab attention!

Xebsball
08-09-2002, 08:08 PM
I know him, dont know much about his music though.

Buddha_Fist
08-09-2002, 08:31 PM
It's such a perfect day!!!!! If you're under 30, you might still know him from the soundtrack of the movie Trainspotting.

:cool:

Chang Style Novice
08-09-2002, 09:14 PM
I love the guy, honestly, but his version of "Soul Man" is the worst white-guy cover of an RnB tune ever, including Pat Boone's "Tutti Frutti", Iron Butterfly's "You Keep Me Hanging On" and yes, even Michael Bolton's "Try A Little Tenderness"

guohuen
08-09-2002, 09:24 PM
Didn't he used to go out with Sweet Jane?:D

David Jamieson
08-10-2002, 05:04 AM
Hey I'm listening to Lou right now! :)

How could anyone in the north american culture NOT know who Lou Reed is?

It's like not knowing what an electric guitar is. hahahaha.

peace

SDriver
08-10-2002, 07:12 AM
"Jack's in his corset, Janey's in her vest, Lou's hawking scooters and American Express."

Style points if you can name the band that sang *that* lyric. :)

rogue
08-10-2002, 09:26 AM
Him, Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson, Iggy and the NYDolls/David J. were and still are some of my biggest musical influences.

Jack's in his corset, Janey's in her vest, Lou's hawking scooters and American Express Got me beat, but there's nothing wrong with being a founding father of punk and making some bucks too.

jun_erh
08-10-2002, 10:51 AM
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrroooooooinnnn

GeneChing
08-12-2002, 09:24 AM
Ren Guangyi is a great master who I am proud to call my friend. One day he comes in with some music composed for him by his student Lou Reed. Now I work in music, so maybe I have an advantage, but I was pretty impressed. I mean, come on, Lou Reed. Anyway, no on in this office know Lou Reed at all. Never heard of him. Well, actually Design Sifu had heard of him but couldn't name a song. So I'm going through a little culture shock realizing that again, I'm working in an office of FOB's, some who have lived in the U.S. for decades. Anyway, Lou's coming to the party and people in the office here are wondering if we should get him to do some taiji. And I'm thinking, we are going to have Chen Xiaowang at this party, no one wants to see Lou's taiji. If he's willing to perform, have him sing a song. Have him shoot a hit of horse in horse if we must. Actually, he's just coming as a guest, but he'll probably be the one the local news media talk to...

KC Elbows
08-12-2002, 09:33 AM
Last Great American Whale was one of my favorite songs for a long time. In fact, that album(I think it's titled New York or something like that, it's been a long time since I had the album) was one of my favorite albums.

Once again, Gene is rubbing elbows with the pioneers of drug use. If martialartsmart only sold opium, Gene could make a mint for 'em.

GeneChing
08-13-2002, 09:19 AM
Ya know, my previous martial arts mail order company, Wing Lam Enterprises, did sell opium water pipes. It WAS NOT my idea. They weren't really functional and I have this aversion to selling anything that doesn't work. ;)

BTW, what did you think of my fighting pipe article? Surely that's worth more hippy threads :D :p

Xebsball
08-13-2002, 09:41 AM
:eek:

LOL

MonkeySlap Too
08-13-2002, 10:36 AM
Oh, man, now I wish I'd bought a ticket. Lou Reed! Way cool, man.

Love his work, in addition to his music I saw him in some indie flick set in a cigar shop in New York - the second film was outtakes from the first, and he was brilliant.

Have fun.

GeneChing
08-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Was that Wayne Wang's Smoke? I can't remember the outtakes title...