PDA

View Full Version : The Many Styles of Mantis

Ye Gor
08-10-2002, 02:04 AM
I do not practice mantis, but am very curios: what are all the different traditional styles of mantis and what are the main characteristics and differences? I am interested in such things as types of movement, preferences in strategy, what is emphasised... stuff like that.

Thanks to anyone who answers.

ursa major
08-10-2002, 03:57 AM
I practice 7 Star which is a traditional PM system that dates back atleast two centuries somewhere in the early 1800s ? Maybe earlier ?

I think the most obvious characteristic is the 'hook, grab and pluck' technique. Having studied in-depth many other systems the hook, grab and pluck immediately caught my attention and my imagination. I've been playing with it, and it's seemingly never ending variations ever since.

To my mind the next obvious characteristic would be the classic 7 Star stance with the lead leg resting on the heel and toe hooked in at 45 degree angle. I am continually amazed at the many, many hidden features of this position.

Between styles of PM I am continually amazed at the likeness in the differences. For instance I practice several Iron Ox (SPM) forms along with the many 7 Star forms. One form that is shared between these two systems is 'Praying Mantis Steps From Cave'.

Now the manner in which this particular form is played between NPM (7 Star) and SPM (Iron Ox) is very different yet a Karate friend of mine, upon viewing them, could easily identify them both as Praying Mantis forms. I asked how could you tell and he says "I dunno ?".

Eventually we agreed that seeing the two Mantis forms played out was like hearing two people describing the same object but each from a different viewpoint. Same object, different way of describing it.

This is to me is what makes Praying Mantis so unique.

my .02 cents worth,
UM.

Art D
08-11-2002, 08:05 AM
Ye , My point of view is that there is just PM, w/ many expretions of the samething. Ye, why no mantis? not concistant w/ Li Lao Shi.

Ye Gor
08-11-2002, 01:04 PM
No, not consistent with Li Laoshi. In fact, he likes mantis. Just too lazy/too busy: barely have the time to do Chen. I COULD become organized/punctual/efficient and then make time for both. But...

As far as 'it's all the same thing'... sure, I understand that. It's all PM. But there must be differences. (Like cooking maybe? It'a all Italian, but... ) Anyway, waiting for an opportunity to mosey down south for a weekend sometime.

----------------------------------------------

Thank you, UM.

yu shan
08-11-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey Ye Gor

Kind of a good comparison "cooking & mantis". There are definite differances (positively) in Mantis KF. Total differant movement, application, and flavor! Ye, if your in Florida, stop in to see John. There is a seminar coming up in Tennessee. Well worth the trip, maybe you can see for yourself.

Ye Gor
08-11-2002, 10:11 PM
"consistent with Li Laoshi", that's what I meant to say in the previous post.

Art D
08-12-2002, 04:35 AM
Ye , in re thinking this I think yu shan has a point and so do you, the flavors will change as well as approuch. this much like taiji, all PM works off the 12 word formula, that is the sameness , just as taiji works off the 13 postures. the expretion (flavor) will be depentent on many other factors. If you do find time to come down ( that would be nice) we should go see john , very strong waist movment .