PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite MA master(s)/legend(s)

Former castleva
08-10-2002, 12:12 PM
The ones you found very impressive artists,veterans with incredible skills,got any favourites among others?

Mine must be Morihei Ueshiba.
Why? I guess itīs because of his unusual charisma and spirituality,not to mention his "tricks" that did,as someone said,seemed to question the science.

You have any?

firepalm
08-10-2002, 12:15 PM
Anyone that can instantly turn his hands into iron hook things while chasing done a car is definitely worthy of legendary status... :cool:

Maboroshi
08-10-2002, 05:31 PM
well, taht is a tough question. What should I look for to pick the definitive MA hero?

I guess I will pick the great legend of Yagyu Jubei. I dont think I really need to explain it, he is a legend afterall.

Former castleva
08-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Thanks.

Prairie
08-11-2002, 02:50 AM
My fav master of old is Chen Fake.

There is also a story of a xing yi master who wound up going to jail and trained with a ball and chain for some period of time. Anyone recall his name?

{i^(
08-11-2002, 06:15 AM
For the USA, one that is most notorious and legendary has to be Count Dante. I can't say I especially admire him, but I always kind of chuckle...

The Willow Sword
08-11-2002, 11:08 AM
O'sensei Ueshiba Morehei
sifu Eric Nessen/Dr. John Ng(even though i havent met him)
Master Joe Shaefer.
Tri Thong Dang: author of the books(the ultimate goal of the martial arts,,and martial artist what shall you become).

Many Respects to all masters,,,,The Willow Sword

Former castleva
08-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Thanks fellows.

Tiger_Yin
08-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Who's Yagyu jubei... ive heard the name but i never had info on him please enlighten me :D

I would have to say Musashi. his aproach was "marginal" and his sword skills were... legendary? ;)

In todays era im kinda fond of Jackie chan i love the way he moves :D

Peace!

iron man
08-11-2002, 04:33 PM
I would have to say grand master pan

some of the stuff he has done is on his website but there is more

joedoe
08-11-2002, 08:01 PM
My late Sigung, Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong.

LEGEND
08-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Bruce Lee and Rickson Gracie.

Former castleva
08-12-2002, 05:09 AM
Thanks.
When it comes to film stars,I would pick Sammo.

norther practitioner
08-12-2002, 12:42 PM
Wong Fei Hung
Chang San Fang (founder of Taiji)

Today...this Mother and Daughter duo that do Sun style (saw them last year at Nationals in San Diego) I can't remember their names. Also during the tourney, there was an older gentleman that did a traditional sword form that blew everyone away, and the younger man who translated for him, did a bagua double deer antler dagger form that blew everyone away.

Maboroshi
08-12-2002, 05:48 PM
you dont know Yagyu Jubei?! He is helluva cool like Miyamoto Musashi...

here is a quick link for the Yagyu Challenged...
http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue9/jubei.html

FistOfTheNorthSide
08-13-2002, 05:24 AM
The Wandering Taosit Kwan Saihung. The book Cronicles of Tao is about his life .

FistOfTheNorthSide
08-13-2002, 05:24 AM
The Wandering Taosit Kwan Saihung. The book Cronicles of Tao is about his life .

InternalMovment
08-14-2002, 09:48 PM
I would definatly pich He Jin Bao. He is intense. Look him up. I think he could tear jet li apart...

PHILBERT
08-14-2002, 09:54 PM
Morehei Ueshiba and Yip Man

{i^(
08-15-2002, 06:28 AM
But someone who embodies a martial virtue, certainly: that Sliwa guy who founded the Guardian Angels. I have to say I respect that.

Taomonkey
08-15-2002, 12:30 PM
I guess I would have to have two catagories,

for Asia
Willem Reeders, whos family is responsible for the majority of the Kun Tao that is being taught in the world, including the DeThaurs.

for America
Geronimo, his documented fighting ability and his commitment to his people are legendary. There are still Fort Sill Apache that are the decendents of the POW's that were held there. There is a story about how they would shackle Geronimo and chain him in a round cell evern night, and every morning he would be sitting outside the cell when the guards wold up. You can still go and see this cell at Fort Sill, OK.

DragonzRage
08-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Yep, there's plenty of inspiration to be found in the pioneers of old.

I agree with many others about the legendary swordsman Musashi. That man was a true warrior artist. I was intrigued by his book, where he recounts some of his experiences and outlines a very spiritual philosophy based on the hard won wisdom he discovered thru the warrior path and a dedication to understanding his art, and life itself.

Wing Chun sifu Yip Man was a true fighter and an innovative master of his art. With all the BS I found that the traditional CMA establishment was filled with over my younger years, he has continued to stand out as an example of a true MA'ist (and a great one at that).

I will always greatly admire Bruce Lee for his enlightened outlook on the art of fighting, his innovation, and his tremendous dedication to training.

Muhammed Ali...let's face it. No one else ever made being a butt-kicking champ look sooo sweet.

Royce Gracie...yeah yeah people dog him nowadays on both sides of the fence but he showed what kind of amazing things could be done by a true MA technician. He wasn't too big or strong but he had a cool head and masterful technique, which he used to dispose of big strong guys, brawlers, tough wrestlers and the most unpredictable pool of martial artists ever assembled for any one competition.

Since I was a kid I've always been fascinated and inspired by all the stories and movies of the legendary Chinese folk hero and revered Hung Ga master, Wong Fei Hung. But at the same time, u can never be too sure with him because the bulk of his name is made up of a ton of fantasy and speculation based upon an ounce of reality. I think there are very few people today who can separate the truth from the folklore.