PDA

View Full Version : Iron! Lets talk reps per set and powerlifting

Rolling Elbow
08-10-2002, 03:44 PM
O.k, I'll keep this simple. I'm doing some research into altering my training and am using Charles Staley's works as a basis for my research. (he's trained olympic athletes and martial artists) Because he doesn't really beleive in the clear cut high reps for this and low for that approach or the size=optimal strength etc.., i am interesting in what types of set and rep combinations you guys have come up with in your weight training. To make this structured, lets have three questions:

1. Are you training for size alone, lean mass (alla Emin Botzepe lol..i needed to conjure up a picture for you somehow!), or strength? Or a combination of any of these three.

2. Do any of you use a few power lifts to help devellop overall power? (clean and jerk etc...)

3. What combination of sets and reps are you using to acheive your goals?

Finally, Do any of you follow specific diet plans or set aside time to "burn" fat through cardio?

Let's see what comes of this and try not to argue too much!...

Rolling Elbow
08-10-2002, 07:04 PM
What...does it take too long to answer 3 simple questions!? Come on you lot!

Polaris
08-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Rolling Elbow

1. Are you training for size alone, lean mass (alla Emin Botzepe lol..i needed to conjure up a picture for you somehow!), or strength? Or a combination of any of these three.

Strength, I'm not a vanity lifter! I've always been quiet muscular
anyhow.

2. Do any of you use a few power lifts to help devellop overall power? (clean and jerk etc...

You do know that clean and jerk isn't a "power" lift, but olympic
don't you? As for power lifts I do deadlifts and squats. I don't
do bench, don't care for it and it makes my shoulder joints hurt.
I do some olympic lifting, but not a lot, because dropping under the bar makes me nervous. I've fell on my as$ before while
doing those. Other than that I use more "unorthodox" methods
for strenght training.

With Squats and Deadlifts I generally shoot for 5x5 sometimes
4x5.

Finally, Do any of you follow specific diet plans or set aside time to "burn" fat through cardio?

Not really.

LEGEND
08-11-2002, 09:31 PM
"I'm going for vanity. I'm 5ft 7inches...I use to weigh 135lb...now I weight 150lbs...looking to get up 10 or 20 more pounds. Eventually I'll settle for a POWERLIFTING type work out but it's your basic compound mass building right now."

"Bodybuilding/Mass Gain= 3x8. Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Rows, Squats and Deadlifts. EAT EAT EAT!"

Croaker
08-11-2002, 10:11 PM
one of the best on-line resources for martial artists is the strength and conditioning Q&A at mma.tv I believe that the moderators are college strength coaches, and an expert recognized by the IOC (olympic committee) posts semi-regularly. Some very good ideas there.

Serpent
08-11-2002, 10:36 PM
Can you link to it for us? I can't find it over there.

Thanks.

jimmy23
08-11-2002, 11:28 PM
http://www.t-mag.com/articles/170top9.html

http://www.t-mag.com/articles/166rene.html

www.mma.tv goto forums, find strngth and conditioning forum.

I almos didnt post the first two links, wanted to keep that stuff hidden, but what the heck..

The proper worrds here, gentlemen, are "thank you", the first link is, in itself, invaluable (no exageration) for martial artisits who want to improve their strength and power

Serpent
08-11-2002, 11:43 PM
Thank you.

jimmy23
08-11-2002, 11:46 PM
seriously, for martial artist, the top three exercises there (in my opinion) are turkish get ups (invaluable!) side press, and overhead squats with dumbells, or lunges with dumbells, excellent stuff , extremely useful!

IronFist
08-12-2002, 10:33 AM
Rolling Elbow, sorry for the delay, I haven't been here in a while. I didn't read anyone else's replies cuz I'm in a hurry but I'll give you my thoughts.

O.k, I'll keep this simple. I'm doing some research into altering my training and am using Charles Staley's works as a basis for my research. (he's trained olympic athletes and martial artists) Because he doesn't really beleive in the clear cut high reps for this and low for that approach or the size=optimal strength etc.., i am interesting in what types of set and rep combinations you guys have come up with in your weight training. To make this structured, lets have three questions:

Oh, these are personal questions I guess. I thought it was more theoretical stuff. Oops. Anyway, right now I'm trying to add a bit of mass cuz I lost weight this summer. Usually, however, I train for raw strength and not size. I have naturally low bodyfat so what little muscle I put on is ripped. I have been between 7-9% bf for the last 5 or 6 years. Right now I weigh 165 or so, at 5'9", for reference.

2. Do any of you use a few power lifts to help devellop overall power? (clean and jerk etc...)

Powerlifts are pretty much all I do. Well, add weighted pullups to the mix. All I do are squats or deadlifts depending on the cycle and goals, flat bench pess, and weighted pullups. Sometimes, like now when I'm going for additional mass, I will add dips, curls, calf raises.

For strength only: 2 sets 5 reps 5 minutes rest.
Right now for size: 10 sets, 5 reps, 30 seconds rest.

Hey, you said only three questions. haha j/k. No. I don't do cardio to burn fat because I'm such an ectomorph to begin with.

Let's see what comes of this and try not to argue too much!...

Oh, let's argue :)

IronFist

Flattop Monk
08-12-2002, 11:41 AM
It is very hard to accomplish 10 things at once. I suggest trying to get STRONG, and don't worry about how pretty you look in the mirror. Train hard and looks will take care of itself.

If you are trying to increase strength, stick with low reps, heavy weights, and basic exercises. Try to avoid isolation exercises. That means do exercises where you have 2 joints per limb moving instead of one. An example of a basic exercise is the overhead press, a great shoulder and tricep exercise that produces useful strength. Note that the shoulder and elbow work together on this one. Lateral raises are an example of an isolation exercise. Only the shoulder joint moves, and you use very light weight. Lateral Raises may make you prettier, but won't help you when you have to carry a couch down a flight of stairs.

As for sets and reps, I do the 5 x 5 system. 2 progressively heavier warmup sets building up to 3 working sets of 5 reps. Do only one exercise per bodypart. Any more than that is a waste. Use as much weight as possible in order to do the 3 working sets. As soon as you can do 3 sets of 5, add weight next time. Stick with that weight untill you can do 3 sets of 5. It is called PROGRESSIVE Resistance. Progress means more weight is lifted properly.

I like to cycle my training. For a while, lifting will get most of my training time, then I spend most of my time in the Arts. When I used to rock climb, I lifted less but spent more time doing pullups, chinups and dips. Train for something useful, and put more effort in to what you are weakest in.

As for cuts and losing fat, this is a Kung Fu forum. Most Kung Fu schools make you sweat your *ss off!! Bust your butt at hitting the bag, belly work, and all that other fun stuff that has you reading these forums in the first place.

Live Strong!!