PDA

View Full Version : Changing schools...

LMKwc
08-11-2002, 03:38 AM
Just wondering, of the many of you that have no doubt changed wing chun schools, for whatever reasons, after spending considerable time in the first, how much of your 'cup' did you have/want to empty?

Obviously, there are going to be many differences between the two schools, however subtle. But what say the new school teaches something one way, but you believe the original way you were taught is better? Do you give up the original teaching? Or does your wing chun become something of a hybrid lineage?

Maybe the sifu would find it disrespectful for you to not fully empty your cup?

Also, did you start from the very start again? Maybe this would be so if the schools are vastly different. But what if there are only minimal differences? Of course, it could only be beneficial to restart, although it might seem ashame due to all the time and effort you invested previously. Although, like my sifu has said, if you lose your patience, you will lose your place in line :)

S.Teebas
08-11-2002, 04:51 AM
Just wondering, of the many of you that have no doubt changed wing chun schools, for whatever reasons, after spending considerable time in the first, how much of your 'cup' did you have/want to empty?

Tried to empty all of it. Easier said than done.

But what say the new school teaches something one way, but you believe the original way you were taught is better?

Then why change schools? It takes a while to get used to anything new.

Maybe the sifu would find it disrespectful for you to not fully empty your cup?

Put yourself in your new sifus shoes. Some guy comes to your school and asks you to teach him, but refuses to do it the way your teaching him.... Would you feel happy about this?

Also, did you start from the very start again?

Yeah.

But what if there are only minimal differences?

Then it should only take a fraction of the time to learn the material before you move onto the next level.

yuanfen
08-11-2002, 06:58 AM
If you dont want to do the way they do in the new school, atleast in class why change schools? When you practice on your own
different judgements apply- depends on how much you know.

LMKwc
08-11-2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I haven't changed schools, and don't intend to anytime soon, but it's likely that I'll move countries for a bit in the future.

Yeah, you guys are probably right about doing it the way it's taught. I am under the impression that there are a lot or maybe only some, very open minded sifus out there that might encourage the student to use what they find works best for them.