PDA

View Full Version : Pavel's stretching books

TaoBoy
08-11-2002, 06:22 PM
I've been looking for a good book on stretching for a while. I've read "Scientific Stretching" and didn't get much out of it. Someone on the forum recommended Pavel's "Relax Into Stretch" - so I've been looking into it. I also found "Beyond Stretching" on Amazon. The examples of the two Pavel books (on Amazon) are very similar. So, to my question: are they the same book or just very similar or are the examples poor?

Finally, which of the two books is better? Any other worthwhile reads in this area?

Thanks in advance!

IronFist
08-11-2002, 11:27 PM
I've only read Relax Into Stretch. As far as I know, Pavel has three stretching books, published in this order:

Beyond Stretching
Relax Into Stretch
Super Joints

I think RIS is just like an updated version of BS, so don't buy Beyond Stretching. Super Joints has extra stuff in it but I think it's geared towards older people (?). Get RIS, unless you are over like 40. Or something. I dunno.

Maybe some people here have read the other books and can give some more info.

IronFist

TaoBoy
08-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Aaah, the old "wrap the old book in a new cover, add some extra bits and call it new" trick!!

Thanks for the tip, IronFist! :)

wooha
08-12-2002, 08:31 AM
I highly recommend Relax Into Stretch.

I also have Super Joints. It's not a bad book. Lot's of good exercises to keep the joints in good order. By the way, I'm not over 40, I'm only 23, but joint health is one of my primary concerns.

Super Joints also has a lot of info on active flexibility, so there's some good stuff for Martial artists looking to improve their kicking skills.

It's a good book, but like most of Pavel's stuff... a bit overpriced.

Kumkuat
08-12-2002, 04:53 PM
doesn't Pavel have another book/video out on stretching? Something called Forced Relaxation?

wooha
08-13-2002, 06:36 AM
It's a video, the content of which is covered in the book Relax into Stretch.