PDA

View Full Version : Getting stronger fast

Viper555
08-11-2002, 06:37 PM
Could someone here please give me some good excercises I can do to increase my strength and speed fairly quickly. Thanks for any help.

LEGEND
08-11-2002, 09:01 PM
Powerlifting type workouts! it's real simple...

5 reps x 5 sets.
Lift for power and explosion.

Incline Press( considered more functional than reg. bench press ).
Squats.
Deadlifts.
Military Press.
Rows.

That's it!
2 days a week and u'll be good to go in regards to explosive and strength.

Choke
08-12-2002, 03:20 AM
Use steel rings while doing forms. Do them till you think your muscles won't work any more and your bruised and bleeding and then do them some more..........well you asked :)
Try doing one form with rings and then one without, repeat.

Then again you may not do Kung Fu (or forms for that matter). If that was the case then I would go with Legend's reply as those exercises are the best weightlifting exercises for building all over body strength and explosive power. Though I doubt they will increase your speed.

Regards

Choke

Former castleva
08-12-2002, 05:08 AM
Muscle growth is not a very fast process.
But all you have to do is train properly (with some other things)
Work on your strength and speed constantly,donīt over-emhasize any single factor so you wonīt be degenerating with the other.

mantis-1
08-12-2002, 05:27 AM
People always ask these questions 'how can I get stong fast' or 'what can I do to increase my punching speed'

simple answer train hard and then train harder. There are no short cuts, and there are no secrets you just have to earn the rewards with time and patience and of course dedication.:)

The Willow Sword
08-12-2002, 08:51 AM
powerlifting will build you up fast. cross training is good. maybe cut your powerlifting program in half and add in your forms training with alot of stretching.

i have never used the nine rings for training, seen it done. i have used wrist and ankle weights as well as a weight vest(not all at once mind you)

:eek:

Many respects,,,The Willow Sword

respectmankind
08-12-2002, 09:20 AM
power lifting is best advice is saw. also carbs are really importnat for powerlfiting. minimum of 3 reps for powerlfiting. 5 is best i would imagine.

IronFist
08-12-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by LEGEND
Powerlifting type workouts! it's real simple...

5 reps x 5 sets.
Lift for power and explosion.

Incline Press( considered more functional than reg. bench press ).
Squats.
Deadlifts.
Military Press.
Rows.

That's it!
2 days a week and u'll be good to go in regards to explosive and strength.

No need to do Incline Press AND Military press. Don't do Squats and DL's in the same workout, either. Pullups are superior to rows. If you're going to to this routine wait 3-5 minutes between sets.

IronFist

CD Lee
08-12-2002, 03:55 PM
Before you try any powerlifting, you best be in good shape already, as you can damage your tendons if you are not acclimated to lifting. When I say good shape I mean lifting weights shape, not running or aerobic.

Where are you physically right now?

TaoBoy
08-12-2002, 07:18 PM
...and no-one has mentioned steroids?

Just kidding!

Dynamic tension (isometric) exercises are good for building functional strength. They may not be quick but they work. I have some decent functional strength although my size does not suggest this.

Hope this helps.

IronFist - hope I got the terminology correct. ;)

Viper555
08-13-2002, 02:51 PM
What are rows?Thanks for all the help guys.

Viper555
08-13-2002, 02:52 PM
I can bench about 120.

LEGEND
08-13-2002, 03:58 PM
WHOA!!! Is your 120 your max or just that u can do that a total of 8 times per set???

Viper555
08-13-2002, 04:04 PM
max, and what are rows?

LEGEND
08-13-2002, 04:10 PM
U got a long way to go VIPER. Take your time and find a comfortable bench weight that u can do 8 times per set. From there increase it 10lbs every month! U'll be hitting 135lbs 8 reps per 3 sets in about 3 months quite easily.

ROWs...are a back exercise...using one dumbell. U put one knee on the bench...and bend over...holding one dumbbell and pulling it up! This is more of a VANITY muscle exercise...which is the program I'm doing now. What is your height and weight??? Will help alot.

Viper555
08-13-2002, 04:23 PM
^

That's doing it two times a week, right?

LEGEND
08-13-2002, 04:32 PM
YES...
It's an easy/fast workout but quite intense!
Are u trying to bulk up are just get FAST realllllll quick?
Bulking up require a totally different work out.
POWERLIFTING types are all basics.
Squats.
Deadlifts.
Bench.
Rows.
Are u doing this for Martial Arts or other goals???

Viper555
08-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Martial Arts, i'm trying to gain power without losing speed fairly quickly.

LEGEND
08-13-2002, 04:40 PM
Stretch before and after u lift!

Bench Press
Squats
Chinups and Dips.

www.frankshamrock.com has a training program for fighters within a 3 months period before a match...check it out!

Viper555
08-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Thanks man. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this.

Viper555
08-13-2002, 04:53 PM
I can't seem to find it on there. Where exactly is it?

LEGEND
08-13-2002, 05:04 PM
www.frankshamrock.com or .org.

IronFist
08-13-2002, 05:45 PM
LEGEND, I think he was asking for the exact address.

Viper555, there's nothing wrong with only being able to lift 120 for a 1RM (one rep max). Not everyone is born strong. Some people can bench 225 when they start, some people can bench 50 when they start.

Answer these questions.
1. How old are you
2. Can you do pullups?

Uh that's it.

IronFist

LEGEND
08-13-2002, 06:02 PM
VIPER...do u have a tourney or something soon??? It's hard to determine a regiment without your goal???

Viper555
08-13-2002, 06:28 PM
I have a tournament in about 5 months but i'm looking for building up so I can defend myself.I don't really care if I look strong as long as I am strong.I'm 5ft. 8in. and 160 pounds and I can do about 5 pullups.

LEGEND
08-13-2002, 06:56 PM
Very good weight and size! I'm 5ft 7inches 150lbs. If this is a FULL CONTACT or GRAPPLING type tourney. U may want to BULK up first! Add some MASS and SIZE to absorb contact!
Typical bodybuilding exercises...
with an 3sets by 8 reps goal.
ex:

Mondays: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps.
Bench Press
Military Press
Pull downs

Wednesday: Back/Biceps/ Legs.
Rows
Barbell Curls
Squats or Stiff Legged Deadlifts

EAT EAT EAT.

You can get a good 20lbs if u do this regiment for 3 months!

Afterwards depending if it's striking or grappling...u have another 3 months to go for POWER and EXPLOSION and CARDIO. What they call peak performance!

Powerlifting at the 5x5!

Bench Press/Incline Press
Squats/Deadlifts
Dips
Chinups
and CARDIO.
Less the better at this point when u're closer to the final month of training. Ironfist may have a better assessment...I'm kinda a beginner...try going to www.submissionfighting.com...strength forum...there are guys there that go INDEPT on how to get PEAK PERFORMANCE in 6 months of training.