PDA

View Full Version : Which oil finish for a dummy?

gnugear
08-12-2002, 09:48 AM
I just made some new oak arms for my dummy.

My old dummy was finished with varnish and I really don't like the feel. I want to go with a more natural finish.

What's the best product to use? Tung Oil?

John Weiland
08-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by gnugear
I just made some new oak arms for my dummy.

My old dummy was finished with varnish and I really don't like the feel. I want to go with a more natural finish.

What's the best product to use? Tung Oil?

Yes. With the caveat that I haven't made a comparison between products.

Regards.

imjlshaw
08-12-2002, 02:24 PM
The best oil to use is of course human sweat. But an alternative would be Patina by Langlow Products (if you can get it). Lastly would be Tung oil, but I've found that too sticky.

If you choose oil, then don't forget to give it a light sanding before applying.

JL

gnugear
08-12-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by imjlshaw
The best oil to use is of course human sweat. Lastly would be Tung oil, but I've found that too sticky.

JL

Really!? I thought tung oil was supposed to be smooth.

pvwingchun
08-12-2002, 05:57 PM
Tung Oil is sticky if not applied properly. Apply a liberal coat then wipe off about 5 to 10 minutes later. Then wipe again about 5 minutes after that. Will be sticky for a few days but I have found that wiping occasionally for a few days after application helps. Also don't put on to many coats.

I prefer tung oil to varnish, personal dummy is oiled the one at the school where I train is varnished, when sweating the tung oil is less "sticky".

stuartm
08-13-2002, 04:31 AM
Hi Gnugear,

I also made my own some time back. The Oil i use is Danish Oil or Teak Oil. Give it a good soaking and let it dry properly, then run down with a dry lint-free cloth.

Danish Oil will protect your wood whether inside or out and will elav a nutural antique finish rather than the shiny one yo get with laquer (which doesnt nourish the wood anyway). Mine been stuck outdoors for nearly 4 years in the british cold, wind and rain and it is absolutely fine.

Stuart

imjlshaw
08-14-2002, 11:33 AM
It could be that I didn't wait long enough, but after 2 weeks the tung oiled parts were still a bit tactile (nothing to wipe off) so I had to sand it off. I've just left my dummy without finish other then with sweat. BTW that does give it a nice colour too.

Caveat. I'm not a wood expert and this is just my personal experience.

JL