PDA

View Full Version : Choosing your MA style!

Shadow Dragon
08-13-2002, 12:56 AM
Hi All.

What motivates you to choose a specific MA style?
Not talking school or Instructor here.

For me I like to study minor sub-styles of better known MA Styles or if possible a very little known style.

aka. Chen Style Tai Chi has the large Frame and small Frame, the latter is not as common and thus appeals more to me.

This way I can avoid a lot of the MA Tourists that tend to flock to the recent flavour of MA.

So what do you Guys & gals think?

Peace.

No_Know
08-13-2002, 01:05 AM
Thanks to growing-up with the talkies, it's got to be Shao-lin with Hung Gar flavor. Except for Seven Star type Praying Mantis, I generally like Animal based styles also.

So (needle-and-thread), reputation and representation play a part in to what I might be drawn.

dezhen2001
08-13-2002, 05:13 AM
After growing up in a scmall countryside town with nothing except Karate and Boxing, i began to read more about as many different styles as i can. What interested me more though was the Morality and attitude, more than specifically fighting skill. I realised long ago that even if you do train, it doesn't mean u can fight (when it really o****s), so it's not so important to me.

As my reasons for training MA changed as i got more experience and grew up, so too did the system i was looking for. Although i respect all the things i have done before, i just felt something was not right for me - it didn't completely fit the way i think or my attitude. As i moved through from Karate, Boxing and Muay Thai to Shorinji Kempo and Aikido, my attitude and understanding developed and changed

Now by accident i met my Sifu and train Wing Chun and Qigong. I found that these not only suit my attitude and character but also my body type. They just make sense to me, so it's good :)

For me, health and attitude are the most important things, and i can develop these practising these CMA skill :)

david

guohuen
08-13-2002, 06:57 AM
I didn't choose any of the styles I've learned. They were offered to me and Trained them. I have settled on one style in the last ten years(Hung Gar) simply as a matter of convenience. I am considering learning a new style to motivate and educate myself. If I do this would be the first time I actively sought out training. I'm leaning towards chen style tai chi chuan and like Shadow Dragon small frame sounds interesting to me.

{i^(
08-13-2002, 07:16 AM
Reality- and by that, I mean my own personal reality. I was unfortunate enough to have been born with hyperthyroidism, which kept me away from learning anything deeply for a number of years: I was, and still am, quite small, and did suffer thyrotic 'storms' which floored me at times. This metabolic imbalance simply could not be fully calmed, no matter what was done, until I started to get older. Engaging in karate classes for it's vaunted discipline merely increased the problem.

So, now I do wing chun- it's good for my resultant body size. Sure, it's difficult, but what isn't? Sometimes I move forward in it by will, which I usually had to do anyhow.

Suntzu
08-13-2002, 07:34 AM
Kuoshu, because I like chinese styles and it was either Anthony Goh or Sifu Huang… Huang is closer to my house…

I chose San Shou because I seem to have a NEED to prove something to somebody… what and who I haven't figured out yet… plus the travel is fun… expensive but fun...

I am activly seeking Shuai Chaio(sp?)… I find in San Shou I'm strong for my size and can wrestle with anyone in my weight, I just lack technique… my coach has a guy that can teach me but he only comes to the gym once in a while and he doesn't speak much english... so i might have to start showing up at his door with a bottle of tequila and a spanish-english dictionary...

and don’t shoot me for this, but I would love to learn one of those high flying wushu forms just so I know I can move like that… but I'm not at all flexible and don’t want to buy the pj's…