PDA

View Full Version : Ba Ji Quan (8 Extremes Fist)

Pakmei
08-13-2002, 01:53 AM
Hi there everyone,

Does anyone know of any "Traditional" Ba Ji Sifu's that are teaching in the UK at all?

I'm interested in learning the "Traditional" aspect NOT the Modern / Contemporary style of Ba Ji Quan.

I believe that Ba Ji would compliment my current style Pak Mei, although I'm not interested in trying to combine the 2 styles.

However it seems that there are quite a few people that know the Modern type but not the Traditional aspect.

Look forward to hearing from some of you!

Dave

RAF
08-13-2002, 05:12 AM
Pakmei:

If your baji training doesn't start with the proper way to measure your horse stance and it explanation of a triangle formed by the buttocks to ground, thighs and calfs, I would question them very closely. Also, most training starts with the stationary one punch and the moving one punch. Contrary to most, you don't start stomping right away.

They also should take you into single moving postures which build directly into the xiao baji form. Don't worry about counting breaths right away. Get the structure and relaxation first.

Follows the taiji principle, first expand the body then it will naturally contract (big movements, then small movements come naturally) [terrible paraphrase of the quote].

Here is a list of schools but there is variation among schools in training and material.

http://www.wutangcenter.com/links.htm

Good luck in your search and training.