PDA

View Full Version : Huang, how is your school going?

KC Elbows
08-13-2002, 01:47 PM
I might just be remembering wrong, but I thought you were out teaching on your own. How's that going? Got any promising students? Just curious, if I got my info wrong, well, at least I was on topic.

HuangKaiVun
08-13-2002, 02:01 PM
Wow, thanks for the question KC Elbows!

I am now in Chandler, Arizona. The weather is a bit hot but the grass is greener ($$$).

I'm negotiating storefront leasing right now. Of maximal importance is my student/assistant, who is a master dancer/horsewoman/sales marketer. She is a fantastic fighter who's had a lot of MA training in the past and has survived some very bad fights. And we already have several people interested in signing up, including an incredibly talented horsewoman who (like my assistant) has "Sifu" written all over her.

Hopefully the school will be open in September. Everything has been going incredibly smoothly until now.

KC Elbows
08-13-2002, 02:07 PM
Very cool.

What are the strong suits of your different assistants?

What have you learned in teaching them?

and finally

Why do I ask so many d@mn questions?:D

HuangKaiVun
08-13-2002, 02:16 PM
The reason you ask so many d@mn questions is because you are looking for d@mn good answers!

The strong suits of my current assistant (and likely the one-in-waiting) are a sense of entrepreneurship, the ability to work in a team frame without losing herself, people skills, great life experience in disciplines martial and otherwise, salt-of-the-earth honesty, and fighting spirit.

My current assistant, like myself, has experienced many different things in life at many different levels. She, like myself, is an entrepreneur who has had to make her own way in life. Nothing was handed to her on a silver platter, and so she knows how to "fight" for what she wants in life. The same goes for that other horsewoman, who runs her own stable completely as a solo operation.

In training with my current assistant, I've been able to refine my style's training methods. Right now, I'm trying to figure out ways to train people that haven't had the traditional grounding in sets that I've had all my life. Also, I'm being introduced to topflight jazz dance drills since that's what my assistant knows (NYC professional dancer in the past). Some of that stuff is really helpful, like our kooshball throw/catch drill.

Every student has a different physique and mentality. As I train more students, I'll learn more ways of conveying my messages.