PDA

View Full Version : Ma Wing Jen

buddhapalm
08-13-2002, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone,
Please excuse my spelling, but does anyone know anything of the martial background of Ma Wing Jen.

There was one or two movies portraying his life in Shanghai.

He was a martial artist from Shandong and went to Shanghai in the 1920's (???) to seek his fame. He was eventually killed by two assasins who poisoned him with blinding powder to the eyes, then proceeded to finish him off with axes. He had a sister called Ma Shlu Jen (Cantonese spelling) who came to Shanghai to seek revenge, which she did successfuly.

Any information on his martial style and background would be helpful.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

Ming Fai
08-16-2002, 10:53 AM
Ma Yongzhen (Ma Wing Jing) specialized in Twelve Routines of Tantui Leg Method. That's the only thing I know...

Tainan Mantis
08-16-2002, 05:16 PM
Buddhapalm,
Did you ask me about this fellow before?
I have a bit of info on Ma Yongzhen published in a 1931 book, but I remember that the names you gave me before were not in this book.

buddhapalm
08-19-2002, 08:10 PM
Thanks Ming Fai and Tainan Mantis,
Sorry for the delay, my internet connection is so slow I have not used it for a few days, 10 minutes to download a page...and its DSL :-o

Tainan, I do not remember asking about Ma Yongzhen, I did ask about Ma Kin Fung and Sun YuFeng and some others. My Sifu said that Ma Yongzhen practiced the same style as ours, but he could have been talking generally, meaning a general Northern Shaolin style, as opposed to a particular branch of Northern Shaolin.

I wanted to find out more about his style, just in case there was any real connection in systems. I am still researching the roots of many of my Northern forms.

Any information on styles he practiced would be most helpful. Did he practice any other styles besides Tan Tui ? who were his teachers ?

thanks for any help.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

Tainan Mantis
08-23-2002, 04:41 AM
The book talks about him and his sister. I don't see a mention of his style or teacher just some stories of his life.

buddhapalm
08-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Thanks Tainan,
There is a movie about his life called "Hero". I think I will watch it. If you ever come across info on his style besides Tan Tui I would love to know.

Cheers

Buddhapalm