PDA

View Full Version : the fist from choy lay fut

RAIN
08-13-2002, 11:58 PM
i want to know some chinese names of the choy lay fut fists in the lkh linaje

1 - the cannon fist in kong ma in the end of siu muy fah after kong ma na - kong ma chop choy and before kong ma sow choy .

2 - the double level back fist to the head in siu sup ji kow da kuen before fahn jong choy .

3 - the crane beak wityh chun la in the end of siu ping kuen

4 - elbows from choy lay fut :

i got pow jahng and big jahng . how are the names of others ?

Fu-Pow
08-14-2002, 10:43 AM
1- The combination is called Gwa Chui/Pao Chui or "Gwa Pao" for short. Not sure what Pao means though. This is also sometimes referred to as a "water casting" punch. Lots of styles have it.

2-Not sure which part of the form you refer to. However, a double level backfist would be called "Seung Da Chui" in our branch. I think Da just means "Hit."

3- I've though about this a lot. The crane beak is just a variation on what you would call "Chui Sou" or which means "move hand." The only difference is that you close the hand into a crane beak. I've seen my Sifu do it both ways. I don't think that there is really any specific name for that movement. You could do it with an open hand also.

4-Not sure.

CLFNole
08-14-2002, 06:17 PM
1 - pow choy
2 - sheung lam choy
3 - there is no crane break in ping kuen at the end after the sow choy is gwa choy
4 - pie jahng (cutting elbow)
big jahng (squeeze elbow)
pow jahng (throwing elbow)
tchong jahng (thrusting elbow)

Hope this helps.

Peace.

extrajoseph
08-14-2002, 06:35 PM
I can think of 6 CLF elbow techniques, they should be the same for all branches.

1) Chung Jarng – Chung is a forward strike and jarng means elbow, so Chung Jarng is to strike with the elbow from low to high in a vertical line outward.
2) Chum Jarng – Chum is to sink so Chum Jarng is to strike or block downward in a vertical line coming back towards the body.
3) Baow Jarng – Baow is the wrap up something so Baow Jarng is to hold your opponent with one hand and wrap him up by striking with the other elbow from out to inward.
4) Farng Jarng – Farng is to turn over so Farng Jarng is to unwrap or to open your body and striking with the elbow from in to outward.
5) Pow Jarng – Pow is to throw upward and outward so Pow Jarng is to strike with the elbow diagonally upward and outward.
6) Ding Jarng – Ding is to push against so Ding Jarng is to us one hand holding against your fist and strike with the elbow.

There are also the Ping (Levelled) Jarng and the Hok (Crane) Jarng which are not so much a technique but an intention with your elbows. One can also Pak (to split) and Dim (to strike the acupressure points) with the elbow.

Hope this helps also.

RAIN
08-14-2002, 08:18 PM
thank you for the help .
do you guys , think we can make a list of the knee techniques ?
together with the elbows form the element ding from the 10 elements of choy lay fut system .

extrajoseph
08-15-2002, 04:17 AM
The knee (or Siad) can do much the same as the elbow except downward strikes, therefore we have:

Chung Siad
Baow Siad
Farng or Fang Siad
Jong Siad (like a pow)
Ding Siad

Fu-Pow
08-15-2002, 10:10 AM
That depends on how tall you are:D

extrajoseph
08-15-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey, us dogs can always do it on our knees and on our back!

:p