PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Gene Ching

Ray Pina
08-14-2002, 11:32 AM
One editor to another: Great lead for the small pipe piece that you wrote!

"And of course, kung fu masters figured out a way to clobber someone with it." Very clever.

GeneChing
08-15-2002, 03:59 PM
Thanks much!
You know, I've been toying with a fighting pipe piece since I acquired that antique fighting pipe in Beijing in '96. It was the short one in the article. I actually have more research on it, but cut a lot out due to space requirements. Since Master Duan had posed with a pipe on the cover, I had to cut it loose for that piece.

Spirit Writer
08-16-2002, 06:58 AM
Yes. Good article.

Ray Pina
08-16-2002, 07:23 AM
I could sense that there was a more-then-what-you-see-here quality to it, but it was a good piece, especially for its size.

And, to be honest, I used to read "the other" publication as well, but your magazine has pulled way ahead and I think I'm going to send for a subscription. Pund for pound your publication just offers more valuable and interesting info.

You guys are doing a great job in keeping such timeless material fresh.

Peace
Ray

PS

Caught the Phil and Friends show out here on Long Island a few weeks back. Pretty **** good -- and I was one of those, "now that Jerry's gone I'm can't really get into it guys." But my sould needed it and they delivered. Looking forward to The Other Ones.

GeneChing
08-19-2002, 10:06 AM
Hey, thanks for the props, guys

EF: Funny how a pipe article digresses into GD. ;) I've been keeping up with Phil our here. His shows have their moments, certainly, fewer that the good ol GD, but such moments are hard to comeby nowadays, so we take what we can get, eh? One of my good buddies caught the WI show, and he said it was very enjoyable.

Ray Pina
08-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Nice. There used to be a great club -- The Wetlands -- that kept the whole GD/Rainbow Family scene going in NYC with covers and drum circles but closed recently. Pretty sad. That place was like church for me in my college days.

Turns out my teacher's school has just been a short walk up Canal street all those years, but I guess the 'ol, "when the student's ready" thing applies.

Well, hope all is well and that you guys continue putting out some great stuff. Must be fun writing for a martial mag, because I am not miserable writing for a flooring mag and that can't compare.

Anyway, I'm sure you've enjoyed all these back and forth Ba Gua posts and know of the upcoming tourney. I'd like to compete, but may be requested not to ( my skills are not of the go outside version yet;) . If that's the case and you would like coverage, drop me a line. I have a good camera, a reported notepad and can get the film developed on disk through our art department.

Peace
Ray

GeneChing
08-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Generally tournament coverage in our magazine is prearranged by a designated agent. The promoters encourage us to have an official representative like me, Gigi or Martha. It gives their event more 'face.' We have done a few tournament reviews for our e-zine, and a few in our magazine new section - but those are considered more like press releases (meaning non-compensated.)

Ray Pina
08-22-2002, 06:06 AM
O, no problem. Thought I'd ask. I wasn't looking for compensation, just thought it be cool to add a martial mag byline to the mix. I actual got one in Relix last year covering a Japanese band that opened for Phish.

Be well. Maybe we'll run into one another at a show or something. Working with the dead, martial magazine editor, you must have opened up a nice fortune cookie on your birthday.
;)

Peace
Ray

GeneChing
08-23-2002, 02:57 PM
Well, if your looking to do a non-comp promo, submit something. Here's our writer's guide, for your reference - http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/about/guidelines.html.

BTW, I'm not the editor, I'm the Assoc. Publisher. Editor would be a demotion. ;)