PDA

View Full Version : Fencing? Arcehry?

orion_steel
08-14-2002, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know where i can find someone in Ky or WVa. who would come to my class and teach archery? Fencing? Firearms? Canceal & Carry?

thanks for the help

SevenStar
08-14-2002, 07:17 PM
check out http://sca.org chance are that there is a school that teaches fencing near you and may also teach archery. Maybe you could talk to them about dropping by the school. Out of curiosity, why do you want someone teaching archery?

orion_steel
08-14-2002, 10:02 PM
i have emailed the SCA 3 times know, to 3 different addresses but they have not gotten back to me yet.

just to give my students something that i cant offer and i think that it would be interesting.

SevenStar
08-15-2002, 12:16 AM
Just drop by. If they are like the brances in my city, they have open practices in a park or something.

Flattop Monk
08-15-2002, 11:48 AM
Orion_Steel:

I've studied fencing, and I can suggest something much better. Fencing is a sport version of swordplay that has nothing to do with actual European Swordsmanship. The idea is to try to TOUCH your opponent, how much power you use is irrelevant, any touch is considered a fatal blow. The foils weigh about as much as a fountain pen, you are not allowed to attack the legs, and your left arm is useless. Trust me, fencing has absolutely nothing to do with actual Western Swordsmanship. The Warriors who lived and died by the sword would not recognize fencing as any type of fighting system. They held the weapons differently, attacked the legs as often as the upper body, would not be shy about bashing your head in with the shield in their left hand, and followed through with their strikes. The whole idea was to cut your opponent in pieces, not TOUCH him.

You might want to consider the practice of European Swordsmanship, not fencing. A great place to start is 2 great books by John Clements- Medieval Swordsmanship, and Renaissance Swordsmanship. These are not history manuals, they are excellent Martial Arts Manuals. In my opinion, John Clements is as capable a swordsman as you are going to find on this planet.

You can get Wooden European Practice Swords from...
http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_wasters.htm

You can get real replicas from armor.com.

Best of luck in your training.

orion_steel
08-15-2002, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the link Flattop Monk, it is greatly appreciated.