PDA

View Full Version : Another one of my sparring experiences....

HopGar
08-14-2002, 01:48 PM
This time I won against a MMA guy simply by overwelming him with pure hop gar punches and grabs before he could take me down or have a chance to hit me. Nothing special just plain cool. Mind you the guy is 6' and some 200 pounds. Controlling him was quite a feat.

Peace Y'all

No_Know
08-14-2002, 02:13 PM
Very good.

Skummer
08-14-2002, 03:34 PM
Hopgar,

Where are you finding these mma guys to spar with?
Is it a school near you or just people you know?

A few years back I sought out some sparring partners in Atlanta. The first guy I came across wanted to "grapple" naked. Needless to say, I kinda shunned unknown partners from the net after that.

If there is a school with an open sparring policy however, I'd really like to know where it is...

-Skummer-

SifuAbel
08-14-2002, 03:54 PM
But thats impossible! The good grappler(tm) would never allow himself to be overwhelmed, he must be a fake. Did he even try to use his california emission on you?

Thought I'd beat you all to the punch.
:D

The Willow Sword
08-14-2002, 03:58 PM
this guy was a fake and a fraud,,,he was a FAKER... he FAKED everything and he didnt have the paperwork to BACK his style AND HE FABRICATED HIS ART AND CALLED IT something else and he was just lying to you man,,he was lying man awww dog,,you got schooled bro,,you just beat up a regular guy man......:rolleyes:

rogue
08-14-2002, 04:13 PM
I'll wait for Ryu and Merryprankster to check in. Maybe Knifefighter will even make an appearance.:D

Knifefighter
08-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by HopGar
This time I won against a MMA guy simply by overwelming him with pure hop gar punches and grabs before he could take me down or have a chance to hit me. Nothing special just plain cool. Mind you the guy is 6' and some 200 pounds. Controlling him was quite a feat.

Peace Y'all

What the heck- I'll take the troll bait and weigh in with a couple of comments and questions.

If you are sparring with MMA guys, good for you. It will only make you better. Too bad you are in Georgia. It would be fun to spar with a kung fu practitioner who likes to mix it up with MMA guys.

Questions:
How did you "overwhelm" him? Did you knock him out?
Did he tap out? Did you knock him down? If so, did you finish him on the ground? If so, how? What are the rules when you spar with MMA practitioners?

SevenStar
08-14-2002, 06:52 PM
I have the same questions that KF does. Also, how long has he been training? Ordinarily, I wouldn't question, but considering that you don't spar or anything....

HopGar
08-14-2002, 07:37 PM
To start, I started sparring just to see how I fare against grapplers and mma's.

Skummer, its with people who I know that are mmas and I can testify that they are prettygood, well compared to me anyways. If you look around for the kickboxing gyms, they usually have those kids of people. Also, if you're in Atlanta, there's some place on Roswell Rd. (I don't have the address on hand) that teaches a conglomerate of arts: jujitsu, kickboxing, etc. There probably are some people that would like to spar with you.

SevenStar and Knifefighter, he has been training since he wasa teenager. He's 36 now. Do the math. But as for the questions:

"How did you "overwhelm" him? Did you knock him out?
Did he tap out? Did you knock him down? If so, did you finish him on the ground? If so, how? What are the rules when you spar with MMA practitioners?"

I overwhelmed him with combos of pow choys and chai sen (two hop gar punches) combined with several grabs and kicks into his legs and feet. The big factor was one combo that is real hard to describe in whihc I hit him thrice in the head and then nailed him in the shoulders and then gut. That was enough to surprised him so I could basically "finish him."

I did knock him down basically by kneeing him to the face as which point he basically tapped out b/c he wanted me to show him the thing that caught him off guard and then overwhelmed him.

The rules basically MMA rules in a standard competition.

Believe me, I was really impressed with what I can do now that I do spar.

Hope I clarified thing a bit and if not, bother me some more.

Peace Y'all

HopGar
08-14-2002, 07:42 PM
going back on the rules, we used what rules he was confortable with, which I guess would be MMA rules, which is what he is. I actually didn't care to be honest.

Peace Y'all

LEGEND
08-14-2002, 07:47 PM
cough cough cough
choking choking choking

SevenStar
08-14-2002, 07:53 PM
first off, congrats on starting to spar - It's a good part of training that shouldn't be overlooked.

It strikes me as odd that a guy that has approx 14 years more experience than you could not touch you, regardless of his style - unless he trained chung moo do or something. Ah, well. Regardless, congrats on starting to spar. Did you decide to stay with the hop gar school, or did you move on?

SifuAbel
08-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Maybe this Good Grappler(tm) was a Bad Boxer(tm). :rolleyes: :D

SevenStar
08-14-2002, 08:14 PM
This past weekend, I supported MonkeySlap's big a$$ while holding a bow and arrow stance. I know I could have done it in horse too, but I didn't have a camera, so I didn't bother.

HopGar
08-14-2002, 08:18 PM
I think his striking experience is mostly short had a muay thai kick boxing. But he's much better on the ground. Hop Gar as I have said is long arm and we fight very off center. If if you can imagine a guy fighting like a boxer and his opponent circling him and htting his arms from the side and kicking like that as well, thats basically what it was like. I was the guy circling and my opponent was having a helluva time trying to move in circles to block my punches.

I'm gonna stick with Hop Gar after my year in Israel (2 weeks left!!), unless I join IDF or something.

SevenStar
08-14-2002, 08:37 PM
IDF? What's that?

HopGar
08-15-2002, 03:45 AM
IDF = Israeli Defense Force (Hebrew: Tzvah Hagana LiYisrael) = Israeli Army. Yes, its a thought that has crossed my mind and its still in the back of my head as a possibility.

Peace Y'all