PDA

View Full Version : Steriods

Eddie
08-15-2002, 03:16 AM
After the commonwealth games, I read some articles about athletes who were caught with traces of banned substances in their bloodstreams. It reminded me of a classmate of some years back who got involved in steroids as a means of improving his kung fu abilities. The funny thing was, instead of improving, the guy kinda got more worse, eventually he totally stopped MA training, and started with body building.

I’ m not judging anyone who takes steroids, I know about the possible side effects etc. I am also not encouraging it. I know that in today’s competitive sporting arena, the pressure to perform is very high.

My question to you all...
With substances like Stanazoloz, clenbuterol and even Nolvadex, which could most certainly improve your MA ability with relatively little damage (if used correctly) to your body or your central nervous system, would you ever consider this option? I know about the moral issues and that Martial Artists suppose to follow high moral values etc. etc.

Southern styles (in my very humble opinion) are very powerful and rely allot on strength and power. Something like stanazolol could defiantly improve this……

Any thoughts? I’m particularly interested in the views of our more senior or older members in apposed to those of the younger generations.

Eddie

(Disclaimer – I am not trying to justify using steroids. I do not use steroids. I have a working knowledge of most anabolic substances and the effects on the human body, but I’m not a doctor or a physician. )

jun_erh
08-17-2002, 03:51 PM
I'm not up on alot of that stuff. Ironfist, who posts here alot, is. The thing for me is that there are guys in my class who are huge muscularly but really aren't that intimidating. Do you find this? Take kicks. The two skinniest guys in my class deliver painful painful kicks. I go home with big bruises on my shoulders. on the other hand, some people have lots of skill but definately need more power in the punches, me especially. I think chin na's are a good metaphor for what i'm getting at. You have to be strong enough to put one on, but being super strong doesn't necassarily help that much. I'm not trying to waive the flag for the natural way or being anti-weightlifting business, just trying to give a genuine non propaganda answer.

Eddie
08-19-2002, 01:07 AM
Hi,
I have been told that in the past, Ma Huang was commonly used by Martial Artists to improve their skill. Ma Huang contains ephedra, the base substance of ephedrine (which, in tern, is the base substance for the seventies drug SPEED). Ephedra is a neuro transmitter and in simple terms help the brain to regulate more oxygen to the brain.

Although ephedrine is not classified as a steroid, and it is not scheduled as a prescribed medicine in some countries (which means you don’t need a doctors scrip to buy the stuff), it is still on the list of banned substances (under Performance Enhancement Drugs) in many athletic organisations (including UFC and other professional fighting organisations).

Stanazolol, is also more of a ’natural’ substance, and are often used by athletes. The history also goes back years.

I once read, and this might not be true so please correct me, that BRUCE LEE paid for his Wing Chun lessons from YIP MAN by supplying him with opium. Although opium is not really a PID, it makes you think…