PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here had to teach one of their teachers?

KC Elbows
08-15-2002, 07:48 AM
This is kind of weird.

The guy I've started studying tai chi with has joined the six elbows class. I highly respect his skills. But now I am in the position where, as the senior, I have to help teach him, and it's so strange.

Of course, he's a quick study, but the fundamentals between the two arts are different, so occassionaly I have to tell him stuff, and he seems to be fine with it, but I feel weird, as he is a more experienced kung fu fighter than I.

What are your thoughts on this?

apoweyn
08-15-2002, 07:56 AM
Try not to look at it as student/teacher but as an exchange of information. If the guy came to your class, clearly he was interested in it. So he sees the value in it. Try to remember that, and present things to him as, "right, here's a way that we might handle this situation."

I've been taking a class with a sport tang soo do teacher. And I teach him as well. Often I'll catch myself disagreeing with what he advocates (to myself, obviously; not out loud). And perhaps this taiji teacher feels the same way on occassion. But I kept going to Scott's class because I believe he's better at certain things than I am, and that I could benefit from that. Clearly, this taiji teacher is following a similar line of thinking.

Good luck with it KC.

Stuart B.

KC Elbows
08-15-2002, 08:00 AM
Thanks Ap, good advice.:)

apoweyn
08-15-2002, 08:35 AM
No worries, KC. :)

Royal Dragon
08-15-2002, 08:52 AM
He's a training partner. Training partners have an even exchange of knowleged, each taking the teaching role in turn. Don't feel wierd, just know the role of senior and subordinate will be alternating based on who's area of expertises is in play at the moment.

Me, I think nothing of teaching my teachers. I've even been know to get into arguments with them over certain things at times. The smart ones learn from me when they see I'm right, and hit me when I'm wrong and too stubborne to see it. And confident enough to test therory when we are both convinced we are right.

I don't like guys that have to say " 'cause "I'M" the teacher. that's why", because they can't prove what they say.

That's what I like about the guys I'm working under now. If I have something to offer, they listen, and if they have someting to teach, they can prove it. No theory, just good Kung Fu. I just wish I had been involved with guys like this from the start.

Bolt
08-15-2002, 09:19 AM
Obviously individuality applies, but I would say that if this is a "traditional" teacher then they would understand the "seniority" position. So long as mutual respect is maintained and the proper attitudes / mentalities prevail, all should be good.

DragonzRage
08-15-2002, 12:49 PM
There's more than one path towards the goals of training MA. Its not always a one way street between student and teacher. A lot of times its a mutual exchange of ideas and experiences that makes everyone involved more well rounded. I have my own example of this as well. My Muay Thai trainer's assistant instructor is a knowledgeable and inciteful teacher when it comes to Muay Thai and boxing. From the day I stepped into the gym he took extra effort and time out of his own schedule to help train me with no reward for himself. He just helped me out because he saw that I was dedicated and wanted to do his part in preparing me to represent the gym well once i started fighting. I've always appreciated the time he put in for me, and in return I've tried to help him benefit from the little knowledge that I have. Although he knows his kickboxing inside and out, he has had no other MA experience. Being a striker with no grappling experience, he's pretty paranoid about the submission grappling/MMA explosion. So I've used my modest grappling knowledge to give him enough of a taste of the grappling game to understand it more and know what to expect from a grappler's tactics. Obviously its not nearly enough to make him proficient, but it has sparked his interest and he can now make an educated decision about whether or not he ever wants to pursue grappling skills. And if Joe Blow on the streets ever tries a half-a$$ed takedown on him, what I've showed him will definitely come in handy! He's also curious about other MAs such as the classical arts and stuff such as JKD. I've been able to share my impressions and thoughts about these subjects based on my past experience in gung fu and JKD. And as always, he still points me in the right direction regarding my Muay Thai technique and sparring.

Water Dragon
08-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Don't worry about it. He came to your class to study. By definition, you are Siheng. Now, if you tried to teach him in his school...

KC Elbows
08-15-2002, 02:52 PM
He'd toss me on my head?

Sharky
08-15-2002, 03:26 PM
He'd toss off onto your head

KC Elbows
08-15-2002, 03:31 PM
:D

GeneChing
08-15-2002, 04:10 PM
Back in the day when I used to teach, I thought for one reason - to learn. A good teacher is always still learning. If you can learn from your student, you're on the right path.

Serpent
08-15-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Back in the day when I used to teach, I thought for one reason - to learn. A good teacher is always still learning. If you can learn from your student, you're on the right path.

The hippy speaks wisely! Well said, Gene.

yenhoi
08-16-2002, 07:06 AM
I taught my teacher to use the internet.

Former castleva
08-16-2002, 07:25 AM
I hope I donīt sound too romantic but teachers also learn a lot from their students,trough respectful interaction.
Every sincere student has something to give.